Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Well, I got myself a Mayflower plate carrier that should be here on Monday and just picked up 2 level 3 plates (level 4 ICW). I have my mind made up that I will also be getting myself some 3a armor as well so I can just put level 3 (level 4 ICW) side plates in my carrier and have protection from 3a-4 as I see fit. It will also give me the most coverage for the lightest weight and price.

Next will be getting a set for the wife…….

And before you ask… Yes, I will actually use the 3a vest when I teach hunter’s safety. I don’t want to get accidently shot. Getting shot hurts.

Anyone else running body armor?

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Sled,
    Both my son & I plan to buy body armor. He has been looking at the Mayflower rigs because they are less bulky and more discreet. I want coverage like a bomb tech, however waddling around doesn’t seem like a good idea.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Check out infidel body armor. A little bulky but cheap.

http://infidelbodyarmor.com/

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

matt76, infidel body armor is the one I have been thinking of buying too!

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

I have decided not to, to each his or her own, but id rather be quick and invisible if the zombies come. Ive already got about 35 pounds of gear as it is.

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

There’s one serious problem with armor, wear it any length of time and your chest smells like your feet.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Kos,
    I know what you mean. Before I run, I will be trying to stay in place. Warning off strangers will be safer with armor. Like SledJockey has been saying, getting shot hurts, and I don’t want to try it, to see if he is right.

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

I went for a lighter weight option that allows me to go from pistol/banger round protection to level 4 AP rifle round protection (chest and back only) while staying within a max of 18 lbs for the whole setup. I only have 1 more piece to get and I will be set.

Whirli is right…. Wearing body armor eventually makes you stink like a dead possum, but so does laying in a hospital bed for months being unable to shower because you are on life support from a GSW….. Just saying.

74…. No need to try it out. Trust me on this one. Even a .22 burns like a MF when you are on the business end of it. I have heard that the bigger ones hurt worse. So my advice is steer clear of the lead poisoning.

Matt… I looked at them and they do have some decent prices/packages for the AR500, but there are cheaper options with better plate carriers out there. After doing some research, the Condors that they push don’t hold up to actual field use. I do like their plates. Spartan also has some good deals that are about the same in price. You can get a stand alone ceramic Level 4 from Midwest for about the same price as the AR500 plates, but dropping a couple lbs. The nice thing about the steel plates is that they are tougher and take more hits than the other options. Just really depends on what you are after.

When deciding on what to get, I was after versatility and weight reduction versus becoming a walking tank. My knees won’t take the tank thing for too long. Too many miles over uneven terrain with heavy gear.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I think that I will not have any problems with smell! Will have a problem if I get shot.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Freedom,
    Ya I’ve been smelly before and I’m still here to do it again. Guess I’l have to buy more cologne or bathe once in a while.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

74 I get to smell my son after he finishes a football game so I can live with that smell.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

I spent every working hour for ten years in armor.
    There’s a particular funk that is hard to describe.

External rigs are better but your undershirt will never be the same.
    Sports wash, detergent, doesn’t matter, at a certain point nothing short of bleach is killing the funk.
    I burned all my undershirts when I got out (blue and black don’t bleach well).

I put on CCW and advanced classes.
    I have yet to wear armor for any of them. Higher class of students? Probably not. Laziness on my part.
    I no longer have to race to the sounds of gunfire, so unless someone is coming after me out of the blue, its unlikely I will need armor again.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Yes I agree with you Whirlibird, why have armor on until SHTF time. There has to be gunfire going on and a colapse or civil unrest with gunfire. But I do think it is a good idea to own one.

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Whirlibird,

I am happy for you that you don’t feel the need to wear it. It is a nice place to be where you don’t feel that sort of threat.

I teach a lot of people that are new to firearms so having some sort of protection really came to the forefront several weeks ago when I had some idiot range master not paying attention and I almost caught a 20 gauge blast in the back. Seeing how unacceptable this was, my wife is really pushing me to find a solution other than “quit teaching.” This is why I also took the opportunity to push for a carrier and plates so I have some carrying equipment in addition to protection and a way to scale it as needed.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

sledjockey if you are teaching or dealing in firearms you do need to protect your self, there are so many idiots out there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.