Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of patjoe
    patjoe
    Survivalist
    member2

Does anybody know how to control common pests without modern poisons and traps? How do you deal with bedbugs, mosquitoes, slugs, mice, ticks, spiders, earwigs, wasps, ants, grasshoppers, woodlice, fleas, head lice, houseflies and centipedes. We have large infestations of all of them every summer where I live. Predators like bats and songbirds have been reduced here by 80% since 2010. The bats have White Nose Syndrome and the birds are being killed by domestic cats. What can we use in a SHTF situation to control pests? Are pesticides worthwhile to stock up on for trade?

• This topic was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by elijah elijah.
    • This topic was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by elijah elijah.
    Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Bedbugs are VERY hard to get rid of now , with everything available . In AZ tho , if you live rural , you can still get DDT ………………by far the best pesticide for decades .

Profile photo of TK556
    TK556
    Survivalist
    member2

Spiders are your friend. Also, look up water traps for flies – very effective. Also, try taking a large ziplock bag, put some pennies in it, fill it with water, and put it near your door. Heard it keeps flies and such away…

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Patjoe,
    Although pesticides are viewed negatively sometimes, their use is important for the very reasons you have stated. Life without them sucks.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Lavender keeps some bugs away. Add eucalyptus (gum tree) to homemade soaps. It is often found in, detergents. Use it for pet care, such as a flea deterrent for dogs. Add eucalyptus oil to bathtubs to disinfect and refresh. Tea tree oil works very well. Few drops in shampoo
    Olive oil or coconut oil – head lice. Everybody needs to mask their heads for half an hour. Wash hair with shampoo. Repeat if necessary. Some school teachers believe rinsing your hair with vinegar. Put pillows inside a plastic bag into deep freeze for a day.
    Salt around your house and in vegetable garden is good for ants and termites
    Tick populations boom after a fire. Mixing paraffin with candle wax and putting that on your boots. Wearing khaki colored clothes – you can spot them easier.
    I kill poisonous spiders in and around my house. .with anything closest to me. The good once stay to do their job. You will also need to eliminate the small, cylindrical egg sacs which can contain hundreds of baby Widows. You will find these attached to the web made by the female Black Widow. They are usually whitish-grey in color, as they are made from the same silk as the web.
    The best bet for dealing with egg sacs is to burn them. Trying to crush or squash the egg sacs may release a flurry of tiny little baby spiders, which you will probably be unable to catch in time. If this happens, your spider infestation is likely to continue.
    House flies – pick up and remove animal manure daily. Make a trap with yeast, little bit of sugar and luke warm water in a plastic bottle cut in half. It starts working after a few hours.
    A net hanging from the roof over your bed. Keep arms covered with long sleeves, helps a bit. Keep windows (without mosquito screens) and doors, close during the day. Try not to outside at night..
    Bed mites- Put everything in the sun as often as possible. Use essential oils. Bed bugs. . ? Don’t know, excepts to try to prevent it from spreading, by removing the furniture as soon as it is discovered to have bad bugs.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

The rats chew right through my rubber dustbins containing chicken and rabbit food. I try to cover every possible hole with cement or stainless steel wool. I’ve set traps with bait that smells like vanilla of Fanta Grape. I’ve also used buckets filled half way with water. You place them right under their route down. They fall in and drown. Need to move the bucket often.

The rats will eat anything – If they can not get into the animal food or your kitchen cupboard they tend to get less… or eat your baby rabbits. That is when you start mixing the Fanta Grape cooldrink with poison, if available.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Take a stick and a used soda can to use with your bucket of water. Put a hole in the bottom of the can. Place it halfway on the stick. Add a bit of peanut butter on the can. Make sure the can will rotate on the stick. Place on the bucket of water. Rats will run to the peanut butter but then the can turns flipping the rats into the water.

Robin

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Tricky obstacle course, thank you Robin. It is quite scary to see how they can work their way through plastic containers. Clever buggers. I do not like to use poison. Trying to use slow acting poison only – that builds up and the rats die after about the third time they eat. I’ve seen a beautiful owl a while back. Visiting my bunny restaurant..

Profile photo of katie
    katie
    Survivalist
    member1

For bedbugs try Diamataceous Earth. It works for other pests as well and is a great health supplement for animals and humans:

http://www.earthworkshealth.com/

Another pest control tool is cedar oil. It is a great tick and flea preventive for pets and works on interior pests as well. http://www.amazon.com/Best-Yet-by-CedarCide-com-Quart/dp/B009NG9GV6/ref=sr_1_1/188-6183129-8290734?ie=UTF8&qid=1397256773&sr=8-1&keywords=cedarcide

Instead of poisoning your pets this is topical and works.

Hope that helps.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Have a male cat , well fed or not , they will kill any rodents they find .

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Diatomaceous earth works well for a number of pests, including ants. Just don’t breathe it or get it in your eyes – it can damage both eyes and lungs (microscopic but very sharp, which is what kills the insects). For ants in a garden or yard, stir up the ant hill to get them swarming on top, then sprinkle the diatomaceous earth liberally all over the area, let the ants play in it all they want, searching for their “attacker.” Check it tomorrow and you’ll probably find they’re all

Also, go to any do-it-yourself pest control store, purchase plain ol’ boric acid. Heat two cups of water to almost boiling, add about 5 tablespoons of honey, perhaps 3 teaspoons of the boric acid, stir until the boric acid is dissolved and the honey is melted. Then thoroughly wet a paper towel with the mix, stuff it in a plastic cup, bury it up to the top edge in the garden or yard, and let the ants feast. Too much boric acid and the ants sense it and stay away, however. Just be sure not to contaminate any food, thoroughly clean any working surfaces, and don’t breathe the dust as you’re working. I’m told Borax (brand name in the laundry section of the grocery store) will also work, but isn’t as strong (it’s a different chemical derived from borax). We just got borax (in the form of orthoboric acid) at the pest control store – better than a pint container for about $8+change, and that should last a long, long time. While we no longer have a roach problem (almost unheard of in the South!), boric acid is great for roaches, as well as a lot of other insects. Plenty of YouTube videos or other web pages on how to use, mix, etc.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Cats can carry fleas into houses. The black death was spread by fleas. Fleas jump to humans when there are no other meals around. Rabbits dogs cats rats chipmunks squirrels spread the bugs. You can catch a flea between your fingers and squeeze really hard and a second later it will still jump away. Houses can have flea infestations. All those wonderful rescue dogs and cats. Keep a supply of flea powder handy for them. And dont let your family bring a dog when they visit you. Allergies are just as bad as bites. My scrounger relatives did that numerous times to me before I finally kicked them out. Oh yes they would bathe and comb the dog before coming, so it must have been them with the fleas.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Profile photo of Brulen Brulen.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.