Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Safety1st
    Safety1st
    member1

Been looking around for some solutions for securing the perimeter around my property. I already have chain linked fences but I feel like those can only do so much. I started thinking that someone could just drive right through one and it got me searching for some backup solutions.

Stumbled upon these nifty-looking things.

Portable anti-vehicle barriers. Apparently they have some sort of ballistic capabilities (not sure what the exact rating is yet) and they don’t need electricity of hydraulics so they’re good to go for a long time. Seems like having a few of these in front of or around your property (or in my case behind my fences) would be a good idea to protect from vehicles.

Have you guys ever seen/heard of these before?

I’ll look more into these things. In the meantime here’s the link:
    www/betterbarriers.com

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I did a post on 12 GA perimeter alarm http://www.pyrocreations.com/inc/sdetail/11971

Also I think 74 is working on a home made one which is made of PVC.

Safety1st
    member1

Seems pretty cool but not really what I was looking for. Have you ever seen these barriers before?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

They look like they will work well. My concern would be cost, plus they need protection to keep someone from attaching a chain and dragging it away. Inside the fence they would be secure.

Safety1st
    member1

So I got some more info and there’s a few models. Some can be screwed into the ground which would be good to avoid theft and some are meant to not be connected to the ground. they’re also about 900 lbs each but you can still move them by yourself with a device. You can also get a “ballistic plate” extension to put on the top of these things for extra cover.

It’s actually pretty awesome how these work, basically a car hits it and it flips over like a chair raising the car. Still unsure on the cost though. What would you think these folk would be selling one of these for?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Safety,
    Absolutely no idea about cost other then a lot. 900 lbs is a lot of steel. But really, a truck can drag one away even screwed down. They will slide forward with little effort if they are hooked on down low or pulled sideways. 10 tons of gravel is cheaper.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

Well, i know for a fact that its very, very illegal to put a few hundred fish hooks attached to fish line and bear bells, in the bushes around your property.

Probably just as illigal to have a few “bear falls” the size of a truck or tank *cough*.
    IMO The trick to stopping an aggressor from crashing your fence SHTF would be to think of a way to get at the guts of a car, instead of stopping it at some kind of barrier that will give your position away. When we are in the back country every now and again you will come across a vehicle that went just a bit to far into the bush and twigs and branches will get tangled up underneath ripping out cords etc. At least then you wouldn’t have to worry about hurting anyone severely, or the precious running vehicle for that matter.

Gotta be so careful these days *giggle*.

The electric fence is also a good option, cheap to solar trickle charge or even hook up to your car bat for the night. I ran one for four months straight on one golf cart battery. no problems until something big crashed the fence while I was on an errand.

If a guy was rich, and could somehow rig an outdoor motion sensor light that played scary sounds instead of light, i bet people wouldn’t go anywhere near my property as well. Fear is a powerful motivator. I remember a robin hood movie where the bandits put wind chimes in the trees to spook people out.

The helicopter and predator sounds would be perfect IMO. (yea yea video games i know) but if i was in the back country and heard the predator sound clear and loud, i may just drop my gun and **** myself lol.

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Profile photo of stingray
    stingray
    Survivalist
    member2

Hi Safety
    Back in October I posted this in Sandbags, the ultimate in stationary ballistics protection? Might also work for your situation (at a reasonable cost depending on your fill availability), if you have access to Home Depot.

“In reply to: Sandbags, the ultimate in stationary ballistics protection?
    Possibly the Ultimate sand bag! http://www.homedepot.com/p/WM-Bagster-Dumpster-in-a-Bag-775-658/202228840
    2.5′x4′x8′ for $29. Need a serious barrier (semi portable)? Would require about 3 yards to fill it, and weigh ~6-9 Klbs depending on the fill, but would probably stop an AP 50 BMR!”

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Safety1st – a much cheaper alternative might be traffic spikes. Here’s one company that makes them. Of course have to use in reverse.

KOS

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>KOS wrote:</div>If a guy was rich, and could somehow rig an outdoor motion sensor light that played scary sounds instead of light, i bet people wouldn’t go anywhere near my property as well. Fear is a powerful motivator. I remember a robin hood movie where the bandits put wind chimes in the trees to spook people out.

Sometimes simple really does work. A member of our group has columns at the beginning of the long lane leading to his place. He had gates (yes plural) that would keep getting swiped by the metal thieves. Said screw it. Didn’t replace gates. Let the road entrance go to hell, the lanterns on the top of the gate posts are all spooky, glass busted out, vines growing up column now and starting through them. And, seriously, he has a group of old looking tombstones to the one side of the posts (he put them in) just behind the fence that are all old, weathered looking with some overgrowth- and the part of the lane you can see before the bend is all rutted and washed out looking. Has a couple of sensors in the cattle guard he can activate at the entrance that trips a gate just around the bend that rolls out across the lane – covered with bones and skeletons. A couple a ‘human’ ones though fake (look real to me). A hunk of burned out vehicle or two. Really bizarre but pretty effective. No one goes down that lane or even pulls in to turn around. I doubt many have seen the ‘bones’ gate. Past that however it starts getting a little less creepy but around the last bend – wow. Guy has great place. Still, we pretty much don’t like meeting at his place often.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I understand why folks want to keep vehicles from coming up their driveways or otherwise across their properties but the determined bad guy will just come in by foot if they are determined. Too much visible security can be taken as an invitation that there is something there that was worth securing, especially after all of the easier targets have already been picked off. I think any access control needs to look as natural and normal as possible.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

tweva, that would be cool lol.

Mountain biker, absolutely.

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Mtb,
    Your absolutely correct. In the end game it will come down to belly crawlers sneaking up to get close.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

KOS, for the last two years shopping centers, residential and other business centers in Gauteng, South Africa, are replacing existing fences with this type of fence. We also advice to add spikes on top. Link http://www.clearvu.com/clearvu-invisible-wall.php Also see http://www.clearvu.com/clearvu-rpg-barrier.php

http://www.cochrane.co/blog/anti-ramming-barrier/

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Leopard, I was unaware of those type fences. Sad that they are needed but its great that they are available.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

With all the strikes in South Africa, companies learned that fencing their properties the clever way, safes them money and gives them peace of mind. It also helps during riots. The posts goes very deep into the ground.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.