Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

“Syrians forced to eat grass; aid worker says deprivation worst he’s ever seen”

http://amanpour.blogs.cnn.com/2014/02/11/syrians-forced-to-eat-grass-aid-worker-says-deprivation-worst-hes-ever-seen/

I know exactly how they are feeling because 20 years ago I was in the same situation, I was eating grass because I did not have anything else to eat, I lived in ruined house, barely surviving, fighting almost every day for everything.

Most of the world did not care for me and people around me in that time.

Actually most of the world did not know anything about that conflict.

It is same today, we know about conflict and horrors somewhere in the world because we are being bombarded with information about that from time to time, and then we are not gonna hear anything about it for days. People still suffer there, even if we are not aware about that.

Most of the people in modern world have some kind of attitude that bad things (like collapse, hunger, violence…) will not happen just because “they” will not allow it ( and “they” are government, law, normal people, good people around the world etc.)

Truth is that S. happens, and eventually will happen to you too, and there is great chance that nobody will care for troubles that you gonna go when SHTF.

Your only chance is your skills, prepping, and will for survival

sisterpine
    sisterpine
    Survivalist
    member1

Hi- There probably is much to be said for actually eating grasses though I am surely no expert. I do agree that those of us who live in a country not containing a violent war are often naïve as to how disastrous a war can be. I have not personally lived in a war zone…unless 20 years as a big city cop counts- which it does not by the way. I cannot even imagine the terror and hopelessness of needing to find a way to keep my loved ones alive and safe. Modern society folks are often quick to judge (yes even those in war torn areas) the good or bad of everyone else’s lifestyle. In reality I would do WHATEVER it took to assure the survival of my family PERIOD. The point is that preparing the mind is equally important as preparing the pantry and other emergency supplies. As humans we respond as we have trained (it helps to prevent panic). Meaning even you children should be part of discussions on what to do “if”. They will benefit from helping the group find solutions to possible emergencies. Please do not discount even the smallest brain available to you.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

I did just that, whatever I needed to do in order to survive. Many times it was something that I did not like it, but it have to be done.
    Being in war may be different from the some other scenario if you look in some things, but at the end all comes to the same, people fighting for resources.

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Can I ask re: eating: are there bugs in the scenario that you endured, and if so would you eat them? I remember reading a site about just how much of the world (outside the US, anyway) includes insects in their diets, that I think it would be a natural thing to do. But maybe there just aren’t a lot of bugs around in that situation due to destruction and noise? Sorry if this is a stupid question or if you’ve covered it elsewhere and I have forgotten – I am fortunate not to have been in that situation, so nothing obvious leaps out at me about this.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Anika, thats a great question. I also never heard Selco mentioning eating insects. Here in South East Asia it is pretty common to eat maggots and grasshoppers. They are usually fried with some spices. They do not have a strong individual taste and arent that bad. The nutritional value of insects is pretty amazing!

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

No it is not stupid question.Actually we did not eat insects. Reasons are both, here simply there is no enough insects for that (at least not enough to pay of effort in finding and collecting) and culture here is like that that it is just way to repulsive.
    Maybe there were cases, sure, but people gave effort in finding and collecting plants for food.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

I tried learning about things that grow wild and how to use them for food and first aid. Just too much for me to take in so I found a Prepper that is both an expert on eating wild things and using same for medicine. That’s ok as I know more about weapons than she does. We are members of a local group. It helps she is also the wife of one of my oldest friends.

Robin

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Euell Gibbons books are still sought after by hard core foragers. As a kid he kept his family fed through the depression on scrounged food.

Christopher Nyerges is another worth looking into,

Few if any of us will be facing a similar situation to that faced by Selco, thanks in part to our locations but also different mindsets and cultures.

A lot has changed in the last 20 years, information and training is much more available, people like Selco and FerFAL put forth information, stories and people are listening. Some even learning.

Much will/may depend on where you are, cities are fine currently for the urban scroungers, but that’s with just a handful doing so. When it’s everybody? Resources will be tight.

The majority of us can only have nightmares about having empty bellies for days on end. Can’t wrap our heads around not being able to pull a pizza out of the freezer when we want.

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Selco,
    Thank you for sharing this.
    It’s definitely an eye-opener to what’s happening.
    Hannah

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.