Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I don’t recall anyone on the forum mentioning shopping in pawn shops. There are many stores of this type in my local vicinity. From a consumer’s perspective pawn shops are simply used merchandise retailers. The great thing about them is virtually everything and anything might be in the store. The store I visited this week had a Harley on the floor. Nearly every power tool and tool manufacturer were represented on the racks. Quite a few guitars, (none of them to special though) amps, horns, on and on. You get the idea.

I made one purchase to add to my collection of knives. I found a little used Camillus set. I paid 15.00 with tax. Both knives are like new, the sheath is a little worn. Normally a new set would retail for about $60.00. I felt like I got the deal of the day.

[attachment file=”IMG_20160211_224356.jpg”]

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Unfortunately the pawn shops here in Oklahoma charge virtually retail for their merchandise. And most of it is more than ‘used’–in fact, quite beaten, misused and abused. So far, we have not found a real bargain…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

Guess I’ll have to look closer. The last time I was in any pawn shops was with my grand daughter when she was looking for a “new” camera. I was less than impressed with pricing or conditions on things, but I have to admit there was “anything and everything” there. That was out of state, and I have not frequented the ones around here (of which there are many). Thanks for the reminder. Also, around here, giant flea markets can be found (including one huge location with probably 200 tables or more every Saturday, not far from here in a neighboring state). That may be worth spending more time, but only after we unload a whole lot of our own “junk” (much really good stuff, but just no longer needed or used, and simply taking up space). If we can get rid of the non-essentials, and pick up an item or two more essential in nature from time to time, all the better.

Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

I poked into a pawnshop in Ohio (where we’re moving) last time we were there, and found a 6″ Baltor grinder. It was no longer pretty, it needs both eyeshields, and one workpiece guide replaced. But they were asking $20, and accepted $15, so I figure I came out okay. I’ve been needing one, and this will suit my needs, for less than the under-powered plastic imports.

Cry, "Treason!"

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I’ve never been to a pawn shop. I looked online to see where there even were any. The closest one is maybe 45 minutes away in NY. The next one after that is 1.5 hours away in NH, so pretty uncommon up here.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MB,
    Unfortunately pawn shops thrive in areas in economic distress. Lots of people getting money for their belongings.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of 74 74.
    Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

There are several in my area, and they have been a mother lode of used items at good prices. Several have FFL licenses and used firearms are always available. Some of their prices can be near retail, but there is enough competition to keep prices in check.

Got several knives at great prices, and after scrounging through a pack of old coins, found several pieces at below spot.

Haven’t done the flea markets, so not sure what is available.

Every year Indiana University sells what has been left behind in dorms, and the prices are unbelievable. But you have to get there early. Neighbor got a fully functioning laptop loaded with Microsoft Office for $25.00. Took a little getting all the headbanger stickers off.

Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

I’ve never been to a pawn shop… The closest one is maybe 45 minutes away in NY.

…[P]awn shops thrive in areas in economic distress.

MB, for the moment, you’re fortunate to live where few people are on the economic ropes. How well they’d cope with the kind of worsened conditions for which we all prepare, is something, which you, being there, would know. Sometimes, people who already have a little experience coping, are more resilient, as long as they’re cooperating, not blaming each other.

Cry, "Treason!"

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

They can be , but its a case of buyer beware . Guns , power tools , etc . still can be had for a good price , but you definitely have to shop around , as all pawn shops are different . Find out as much as you can about whatever it is your buying , before you buy . Otherwise you might be getting another persons problem , sort of like a used car .

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.