Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

NoDak Spud that Whirli. I wonder if they sell 80% receivers for Ak. But truely every Ak produced is going to be an heirloom. Its very unlikely any one person will ever wear out one. Even the Ar15 has enough small parts replacements to last for generations.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Its been done, back when chink ammo was available I wore out a Maadi AK.
    But it had issues.

The AR is even harder to wear out in many respects, the modularity it has allows easy parts swapping including barrels unlike the AK. And your average owner can do this themselves normally.

A friend in western Nebraska has a second year Colt AR, its on its third barrel and an unknown number of spring sets. I would hate to guess the number of prairie dogs and coyotes that have fallen to it, and a few other critters I’m sure.
    It goes from pickup to tractor to combine and occasionally even gets cleaned.
    He buys ammo by the case, says he doesn’t have time to reload for it.
    The amount of junk I pulled out of it last time I was back there was amazing, wheat kernels, chaff, mud, rocks, if it could fit inside somewhere, it was in there.
    I still don’t know how some of that junk got inside, its not an AK with openings for junk to get in.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Besides the NDS receivers the options include unbent receiver flats, but these require jigs and a pretty stout hydraulic press to bend.

If you do flats, make sure to get properly hardened ones, otherwise the holes can wallow out in record time. The previously mentioned Maadi and unmarked AK as examples.

The AK can be worked on by your average owner, replacing the grip, handguard and such but the front and rear trunions as well as the barrel are beyond most owners.

One thing to remember about the underfolder models, the stock is a direct copy of the German MP38 /40 and wasn’t up for the mild beating it received from the 9mm let alone from the x39 round. The side folders are the way to go unless you like a stock that gets floppy, very floppy.
    To this day, the best AK variant folding stocks were on the Valmet and Galils. The Galil stocks are nothing but a copy of the folder from the FN FAL so its built stringer than it needs to be for an AK.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.