Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

This review is conducted in a reliable manner by a knowledgeable source.
    I add a link to the AK Files to show KelTec’s SU16-B rear sight mounted on an AK.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114727

http://rifleshooter.com/2012/07/parabellum-armament-ak-adaptive-rail-system-akars-review/

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

How do you like that front sight ? my only concern about dust cover mounted rails on an AK is vibration . Maybe its no issue in reality , I dont know .

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tolik, I just ordered the keltec rear sight to put on the parabellum rail. The front sight is stiil the stock post. The rail is pretty stable because it attaches to the rear sight mount.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

If you already have a side mount for a scope and prefer not to use it. A lot depends on which ak you own apparently. Also whether you have a folder.

There.s been so much aftermarket that i’m not sure there’s a standard ak anymore.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

It certainly helps to know what model you own before ordering after market parts. This one is a Norinko model 56 84s. It seems to be infallible.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

So what is the best AK for the money today on the market?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Freedom, I couldn’t answer that question, maybe Whirly has an opinion,(smirk) :)

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

freedom wrote:

SELCO likes the YUGO M70, and I have one with poly handguards and stock.
    Very Light for an AK! WOOD is heavy. Still need to shoot it…
    Also got a C39 from Century Arms Intl. and it is SWEEET!
    “Blactical” also, and it has rails on the forend and uses standard AK mags :D
    I have shot this one, groups very well at SD/HD distances!

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Freedom ,
    depends on what you want it for , I dont think there is a “best ” . Like underground suggested , the N-PAP M70 is well built , its furniture is non traditional AK , and more what a western shooter is used to . Arsenal AK’s in my view are way over priced , if your going to spend that much money , get an FAL , because a 308 will knock the poop out of almost anything

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Freedom, I couldn’t answer that question, maybe Whirly has an opinion,(smirk) :)

I have several actually.

If you can get and don’t mind converting a VEPR, not a bad way to go.
    The best for some of us.

Personally, new made I’d be looking at a Bulgarian Arsenal AK.
    Or if I were really feeling flush, a Krebs custom. If memory serves, he’s using the VEPR also to build off of.

I’m very fond of the old Valmet guns but the prices are terrible.

But best for the money?
    Its hard to beat the Romys, you have to watch for canted front sights depending on vintage, but still while rough, they work.

I actually prefer the Hungarian AMD’s, they’re just a little less rough around the edges.

The Yugos are decent, again depending on vintage, the thick receiver models are preferred.

For a while, when parts kits were cheap and available, everyone and their brother made AKs, some good, some not so good.
    I am hesitant on many “off brand” guns, as the quality is suspect.
    I have an AK receiver in the back that’s got the hammer and trigger holes so wallowed out as to be unsafe.
    They actually shortened the receiver and dust cover during the build, screwing it up bad. Theres a serial number but no makers mark, kinda scary.

Avoid screw build guns, the AK was not designed to be screw assembled, and these are generally garage builds, and cruddy ones at that.

Look for matching bolt and trunnion numbers, its no guarantee of good headspace, but it helps. Everything else can be a hodgepodge of parts, but when the barrel, trunnion and bolt match, your chances of getting a good gun jump.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

i’ll go out on a limb freedom. It will be an underfolder with no acc as they just clutter up things and get in the way. Overall lighter and more manageable.

Best ak.. the one you have when shtf.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Site was down for this, AKARS, how much is the beast???

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

RGR, Optics Planet is selling them for $124.00. Be sure to check availability.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Whirlibird, Rivet built AKs can also be a problem I would think when the mileage gets real high. Have you ever seen it and is it repairable? Or should the gun be junked parted out at that point.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Whirlibird, Rivet built AKs can also be a problem I would think when the mileage gets real high. Have you ever seen it and is it repairable? Or should the gun be junked parted out at that point.

Rivet builds actually last longer, the tightness caused by the swelling of the rivet into the receiver holes prevents the movement that is present in screw builds. By reducing movement the stretching is reduced.

Repairable, that depends on the skill of the TIG welder you know.
    The cost of a new receiver, or a properly hardened flat (Important!), if you have the means and tools to punch a flat, is still spend less than an hour ‘welders charge’.

Bluntly, if you’ve got that many rounds through an AK, you could afford a new receiver or even a new gun.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.