Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

You only need to be careful that discount packs don’t light up like beacons under IR.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

More about IR? where 2 go?

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Brulen,
    Like buying anything on the internet, you don’t really know what you bought until it is delivered.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

74 Its not that hard to buy to spec on the net. Usually surplus military or high end is good. Except for the sog pack I bought in walmart recently. I just happened to shine my IR flashlight on it and it lit up likeca xmas tree. One pack I have they intentionally were sewing in marker lines. For road visibility at night I imagine, or whatever.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>KOS wrote:</div>More about IR? where 2 go?

Get an IR flashlight. Have some fun. lol

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

I said, I was interested in ultra-light packing. I don’t think we can really have a discussion about packing without taking about rations. :) Here’s my new emergency ration list for your inspection and considering.

Here’s my 6 pounds of rations that would last me 9.5 days to 19.1 days without supplementing with wild food. I know this ration list is extremely unusual but my previous experience with intermitted fasting tells me this ration list would work. This list will also go well with wild crafted greens, wild fish or game.

6 Pounds of Rations
    1 pound homemade beef jerky (1860 calories)
    1 pound butter (3252 calories)
    1 pound raw hard cheese (1615 calories)
    1 pound salted pork bellies or homemade bacon (2454 calories) (Collect the lard and reuse with wildcrafted foods.)
    1 pound creamed coconut (3104 calories)
    1 pound coconut oil (3910 calories)

PLEASE NOTE: I have not field tested these rations, but I still want to share some of my new thoughts on rations. My rations weight 6 pounds and have 16,195 calories. My goal would be to supplement with wildcrafted greens and fishing right from the start so my rations should last longer then the times stated below:

1. Based on 1700 calories a day, these 6 pounds of rations would last me 9.5 days without any supplementation from wild food. (I need about 1300 calories to maintain my weight but I added more calories because of predicted increased activity levels.)
    2. If I did Every-Other-Day fasting (one day normal rations followed by one day of half rations), I would have 12.7 days of food without supplementation from wild food.
    3. If I went on half rations I would have 19.1 days of food without supplementation from wild food. I would be losing weight fairly quickly on half rations.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Here’s my 11lb (5kg) child’s day pack on a morning ski on a local lake today. It’s small and easy to carry. I also carry a small fanny pack that has my Swiss army knife and survival knife.

I take it anytime I could get into trouble in the woods, which is anytime I go into the woods!

http://goboxstorage.ca/blog/emergency-preparation-personal-safety-kit/

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>c wrote:</div>Here’s my 11lb (5kg) child’s day pack on a morning ski on a local lake today. It’s small and easy to carry. I also carry a small fanny pack that has my Swiss army knife and survival knife.

I take it anytime I could get into trouble in the woods, which is anytime I go into the woods!

http://goboxstorage.ca/blog/emergency-preparation-personal-safety-kit/

Do you telemark with your pack on C? Skiing in the woods makes me nervous on trails. I have a lot of downhill ski experience but my technique on x-c skies in the woods gets sloppy. The more pack weight on the back really gives my knees a workout. Your temps are much colder than ours here. I live near a lake and its not even close to having ice. With luck 4-5 weeks of very cold weather. I won’t chance it on ice otherwise. I’m not taking the polar bear plunge if I can help it. I have a grappling hook and rope if I need it but its better to ski in pairs.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

I don’t have telemark equipment though did learn how to downhill ski a few years ago. Once I got the hang of downhill skiing I always carried my safety pack on the hill. I looked kind of strange clothed in wool and skiing with a pack. I didn’t really fit in with the downhill ski gang. (If you like downhill skiing Sunpeaks have some of the longest runs in North America.)

http://www.sunpeaksresort.com/

McConnell Lake is at over 4000ft of elevation. The lakes at our elevation (2500ft) are not safe yet. We will drive to McConnell Lake until the lower lakes are safe. We use an axe to cut through the ice and check on the thicken of the ice. Yesterday, it was over 6 inches thick on McConnell Lake. We also stay on the edge of the lake until we are sure of the safety. Lakes and ice can be dangerous but it’s just a matter of learning about the things to watch out for. I have a better chance of dying, driving to the lake!

We have a cross-country skiing area called Stake Lake, but we never use it. Too many people with bright colored, space-age snow suits! We like cutting our own trails and going our own way. We just don’t fit into that crowd.

http://www.overlanderskiclub.com/

We also like watching, and when we have time tracking, the animals at this time of year. Too many people isn’t good for tracking.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I bought two new packs last year a Condor Elite Fail Safe and BlackHawk Ultralight 3 day Assault. I gave up on my old military pack. It wasn’t large enough for a bugout bag and it didn’t have enough pockets for an EDC. Plus it stood out because of the camo pattern.

I use the Condor for my EDC. It’s large enough to carry more weight then I care to lug. It had 3 main compartments for larger items. Easy access side pockets. Multiple small enclosed pockets and small net compartments in two of the main storage areas. Plus it is designed for a hydration bladder. The bag is dedigned with attachment points for combining it to a larger Pack. A rain cover is built into the pack that is stuffed into a small zippered pocket at the bottom outside of the pack. My pack is charcoal gray, it does a good job of not standing out as a tactical bag. The bag holds 936ci. I can easily say this is my favorite pack

The Blackhawk bag is a larger 2000 ci of space. I have it set up as my BOB/get home bag. I have room in this bag for food, clothes, shelter and gear. The outside of the pack is covered with molle strap making additions easy.

Both packs are designed well helping to make using them note efficient. The construction of the packs and workmanship is excellent.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of 74 74.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.