Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Well I am rethinking the small backpack I keep in my truck just in case. It will hold plenty but really wasn’t designed with a looong walk in mind. I don’t intend to carry my whole garage on my back but i need something medium in size that i could comfortably carry say 60-80 miles if i had to. Not that a 60-80 mile hike would be comfortable but you know what I mean. Every article or review you read says xxxbrand is the best. Do any of you actually do a lot of backpacking and have any suggestions as to a good pack that will do what i need but not take up the whole back seat of my toyota p/u

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

I think everyone has an opinion on this one! :)

Being a woman, I am into ultra-light packs. My pack weighs about 11lbs (5kg) with a hatchet. The pack is actually a 19L child’s pack.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5028-691/mec-genie-daypack-19l-kids/?h=10+50084+50088+50042&f=10+50088+50587

There is a old saying, that as someone learns more bush skills, they need less and less equipment for comfort and safety in the woods. That’s been my experience too. The more bush skills I learn over the years the less equipment I need in the woods.

Here’s my personal safety kit. This kit is always evolving and changing because I am always learning new skills. I would take this kit anytime I go into the woods: http://goboxstorage.ca/blog/emergency-preparation-personal-safety-kit/.

Good luck with developing a pack system that works for your individual needs and skills. :)

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Matt,
    I have a ratty USMC 3 day assault pack. There are some features that I think are really good. It comes with a stiff plastic insert behind the padding keeping anything hard or that has protruding parts from coming through and pressing on your back. The shoulder straps are ergonomically shaped, well padded, stiff and well padded. The shoulder straps have convenient chest straps. It has compression straps to shrink the pack down and prevent rsttles. It’s MOLE so adding stuff is easy. The main compartment is big enough to hold large items.
    Down side is that it has only 3 compartments. The new models have a compartment for a hydration bag.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Ever thought about the old large Alice packs ? something to be said for a frame . You can get aftermarket strap add ons to make it more comfortable . Mine has the shelf on it , I extended the shelf to 8″ with some sheet metal and four bolts , like a radio pack , run some webbing around it with quick release buckles , and you can add on to it easily . I have 2 other packs , a modern issue multicam MOLLE large ruck , it can hold more than you would want to carry . I also have a 3 day MOLLE flecktarn pack from Germany . Lot of stuff out there , I tend to go for militay or military standards packs , as they seem to be able to take more abuse . Look at some of the hunting packs as well , some very good designs in that category , but they can be pricy . I’ve noticed that the sporting packs , even ones that are made for long back packing trips , are meant for the guy that hikes trails , rather than trail blazes . So you have all the look at me colors, and the construction is really not up to the abuse of off trail cross country . Not the most comfortable , but thats where the military packs shine .

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Ditto 74… I have a pack just like yours but in much better condition. Woodland camo. One slight difference though – mine has an ensolite pad between the plastic liner and your back. There is a space for a hydration thing, it didn’t come with it though. Its a nice pack thats fersure.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

If your serious about a 60-80 mile hike, your going to need a large volume bag, extra shoes, cloths and towels take up the most space. These days I prefer day bags that keep air between your back and the pack, so you don’t stick to the bag or get the shivers when you take it off and your sweating.

Whatever bag you choose, absolutely has to have a belt strap to take the load off your shoulders.

Lots of people like the camel back function on the new bags and surplus combat kit. I prefer to wear my water on my belt, If a bear or heaven forbid a moose puts the run on me and I have to climb a tree, I want to be able to drop the backpack and not worry about getting thirsty if the predator is patient.

I know a lot of people like the alice packs and other surplus gear. I do to, I just don’t like the attention they draw.

Another good option is a surplus body armor rig, tons of pockets, even distribution of load, and it screams do not **** with.

I picked one up for 50 bucks here the other month, doesn’t hold as much as the bag does, but you can wear a smaller bag on your back along with it to compensate.

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>matt76 wrote:</div>Well I am rethinking the small backpack I keep in my truck just in case. It will hold plenty but really wasn’t designed with a looong walk in mind. I don’t intend to carry my whole garage on my back but i need something medium in size that i could comfortably carry say 60-80 miles if i had to. Not that a 60-80 mile hike would be comfortable but you know what I mean. Every article or review you read says xxxbrand is the best. Do any of you actually do a lot of backpacking and have any suggestions as to a good pack that will do what i need but not take up the whole back seat of my toyota p/u

matt …. You must be thinking of the backbreaker. The monster cfp90. It will take up the whole bed of a toyota. So what you do is find a pack half that size and stuff it inside the big one. Then you use the compression straps. That way you have 2 packs all the time. A small one for patrolling and a big one for hauling like a mule.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

This is the one I have. Very rugged. Will last a lifetime. I’ve gone on day long mountain hikes with it loaded (bottled beer can be heavy) and found it to be very comfortable.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/54122?feat=506217-GN2&page=waxed-cotton-continental-rucksack&attrValue_0=Khaki&productId=909928

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Thanks for all the feedback. I was leaning toward a military type pack but wasn’t sure how comfortable they would be. The 60-80 miles could very well be on the short side for me. I travel several hours from my home quite often while at work. If something happened where i had to walk home it could take me a while. Truth is i will not be able to carry EVERYTHING i might need to get home. The food alone to travel just 60 miles on foot would take up a majority of the room in a pack. KOS I’m with you on the camel backs. The water gets pretty warm from your body heat and i have had a few that leaked or got punctured. I prefer the stainless water cans to carry water as you can boil water in them or make a still for water purification if you had to. I thought about the body armor rig but something like that would draw a lot of attention riding around in my truck. I get in some pretty shady parts of town on a regular basis and that would just be one more thing to attract thugs. Thanks again everybody.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Brulen,
    Actually I have a lot of tools and test equipment that rides in my back seat so i am kinda limited on space. Hopefully I will be assigned a SUV or explorer type vehicle before to long and i won’t have such a space problem.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>matt76 wrote:</div>Brulen,<br>
    Actually I have a lot of tools and test equipment that rides in my back seat so i am kinda limited on space. Hopefully I will be assigned a SUV or explorer type vehicle before to long and i won’t have such a space problem.

You probably could use roof racks or hitch carrier. A ski pod on top of a small vehicle can carry a lot. Your only other option is to shrink wrap everything to half its size if possible. A down sleeping bag 0F for instace compressed to the size of a couple rolls of toilet paper.

Profile photo of twobravo
    twobravo
    Medic
    rprepper

My pack to bug out with is a BlackHawk 3-Day Assault pack that I have had since the 90’s. It’s been through a lot and has held up great. I recently bought a Spec-Ops brand T.H.E. pack to use for my work bag, because I didn’t want to unload my old BlackHawk bag. So far, I’ve really been liking the T.H.E. pack. I added a radio pouch on the side for my 2m/70cm radio and a medical pouch for my first aid pouch and trauma pouch.

Be good, or be good at it.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Eberlestocks are pretty good also , they make specialized packs for the military as well as hunting packs .

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Looks like a nice one. Good price.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.