Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Someone on here, I dis-remember whom, said the book “The Knowledge” was a good book for post-SHTF situations where you would have to rebuild society.

And it is. It explains a great deal of the How and the Why in simple terms.

But this post isn’t about that book. It’s about another book.

1800 Mechanical Movements, Devices and Appliances. By Gardner D. Hiscox. Published by Dover Books.

http://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Movements-Devices-Appliances-Science/dp/0486457435/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406579270&sr=8-1&keywords=1800+mechanical+movements

This book is way, way more than just 1800 patent drawings with no explanations.

It starts off with basic levers, how to do the maths involved, then moves to 2nd and 3rd class levers, as well as how to do the maths for those. It covers everything from ancient devices to relatively modern ones and the practical applications of them. How to convert circular motion into linear motion. What kind of water wheels are most efficient and how to calculate that efficiency. Steam boilers. Steam engines. How to calculate horsepower for steam engines (which I have never seen in print before). Valves. Pneumatic compressors. Pneumatic actuated devices. Wind actuated devices. Various air and water pumps, including a simple – but very elegant and ingenious – irrigation pump that is a combination of an Archimedes Screw and water wheel. Gasoline, diesel and kerosene engines – from simple and rudimentary to advanced. Various types of gearing in all it’s glorious flavors- and their application! Flywheels. Centrifugal governors. Centrifugal braking devices. Early electricity generating windmills (and you thought they were a recent development). Bicycle gearing. Cranks. Acetylene lamps. Cams. Springs of all flavors. Mechanical and electric clocks – and everything to do with them.

I could go on, but the list is too great.

Suffice to say that if you like making things and have a mind of clockworks and gears like I do, you WILL enjoy this book… if you have any experience as a machinist – even a woodworker – then this book is a playground.

Combine what is in this book with other things – machining, tool and die making, even agriculture – and you will realize it is the Keys to the Kingdom. You can MAKE ANYTHING.

Personally, I am going to use what I have found in this book – and elsewhere – combine my knowledge into a Marvel Mash Up and make a Washing Machine that is powered by a stationary bicycle. Maybe even able to be powered by the wind. How cool would that be? Load up the washing machine outside, add water and soap, close the lid, lock it down and then pull a lever that engages a smallish windmill to run the washing machine?

Personally, I hate laundry. I think making a good mechanical, non-electric washing machine would be awesome. Yeah, I know we had them before electrification, but they were always hand-operated and everyone was trying to go around everyone else’s patents, so you ended up with some real Rube Goldberg machines… if I take the best from several designs and put them together, well, then hooray for us…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Looks like another trip to the bookstore for me.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Thanks Malgus!

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wtj1qoee837k4dg/1800%20Mechanical%20Movements%2C%20Devices%20and%20Appliances.pdf?m=

I have a pdf copy of it I uploaded to dropbox if any of you guys want to download it and read it on a device or print it out.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Profile photo of feral hobbit
    feral hobbit
    Survivalist
    member2

Thanks malgus. I will probably pick this up when I get paid.

...it is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts...

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I think trying to build gadgets to make life easier in SHTF is going to be one of those activities that saves your mental stability in the long run. It is a needed device but the break it gives your mind from all the doom and gloom around you will return just as many dividens as the device itself.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

You’re right matt76. The confidence that comes along with self-efficacy is basic to a sense of well being.

Profile photo of Xocjm
    Xocjm
    Veteran
    member4

That book could become barterable knowledge!

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Good stuff, thanks Malgus, and Mr. Red too!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Mr Red,
    Thanks for the pdf. BTW I move my pdf’s to my Kindel & cloud so I can have it on several devices.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Thank you, Malgus and Mr Red ! Love books. I wonder how many times in the future we are going to think back to this forum – SHTF school’s knowledge

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

looks good !

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.