Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Angus
    Angus
    Veteran
    member2

Hi my name is Angus this is my 1st post . I am an Over the Road truck driver me and my co-driver drive back and forth from Connecticut to California almost every week.
    My concern is getting home if shtf. I have a large pack I have started bringing with me. I was wondering what suggestions you guys may have.
    Due to federal motor Carrier rules I can not bring a weapon. I have a small folding knife with a 3″ blade with seatbelt cutter and window punch. I have a sleeping bag and self inflating pad have ordered an esbit stove. Going to be looking into a decent 2 man tent . I ‘m going to start packing winter clothes and thermals. I tend to just wear cargo shorts and tshirts I know that won’t cut it. I have good pair of red wing boots. I wear a 16 wide also wear 3x gloves so a lot of stuff I’m not going to be able to scrounge for last minute. I have a built in water bladder in my pack and plan to start bring a nalgeen water bottle I jus ordered a metal cup that fits over it. I have a personnel little water filter like a life straw. Figure I need to get water purification tablets and a decent portable filter. Open to any and all suggestions and feel free to ask any questions. I read the forums daily.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Angus, Do you travel the same route every time? If you do or even close you could preposition food, guns and other supllies in storage lockers or some other creative cache. Maybe in truck stop lockers all over the country.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Angus, my 1st question is whether your co-driver is of the prepper mindset too and aware that a SHTF scenario may occur one of these days?

Profile photo of Desert Duck
    Desert Duck
    Survivalist
    member1

Good questions and comments from 74 and Mountain biker.

I travel five states for work. Have friend network there in all states that have resources and we have established that if I’m ever stranded, I’m welcomed for the duration. Perhaps you might have A) family, or B) old friends you could get re-connected with on your route…? Maybe some allies where you could stash some items n supplies… Or cache them along your route. That is a whole other facet to prepping but worth the time if your travel.

If you end up propositioning things, read the book Patriots, by James Wesley Rawles and check out chapter 9, titled Skanks Mare.

Some good ideas for you there!

Profile photo of Angus
    Angus
    Veteran
    member2

Thanks for the responses. We do not travel the same route all of the time. We have been heading out mainly on i80 recently but with seasons changing we will soon most likely be taking a more southern route. It is pretty random what we haul and where we pick up from the east coast. We haul produce back from California (anywhere from LA to North of San Francisco) We always deliver in Carlisle, Pa then head home empty from there.
    I have a friend in Dallas but that is definitely further south then our routes take us. My family lives in Ri or in Ontario ,Canada. I believe my codriver only has family in Ct. My codriver is single and we would definitely work together to get back. He has even been looking at knives lately and I think he going to start bringing a sleeping bag and pack too. He is even going to sign up for the Ct courses. So he can purchase a pistol etc.
    I definitely need to start networking to make friends a long i80, i40, i70 and i10. I can definitely stock a lot of food on the truck just need light weight options as I’m sure I can’t physically carry 2 months worth.
    I wish truck stops had lockers lol that would be awesome.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Angus, maybe on your next run you can use the time to bring your co-driver more up to speed by talking through the supplies you want to jointly carry with you, and brainstorm where you might establish a few caches along the most common routes you take.

If you were both single I’d suggest thinking through whether you wanted to try to make your way all the way back to CT given the population density of the BoWash corridor, but if you’ve got a wife and maybe kids back home, then that’s where you need to get to.

There is no knowing how suddenly a SHTF scenario can happen, but many of the possibilities won’t come as a complete surprise to those of us who keep watching for the signs. Towards that end, how aware of what’s going on are you able to stay when on the road? Talk radio and the radio news shows keep repeating themselves and can’t cover more than a few events/topics. Even a single day’s head start towards home can make all the difference if it appears that the S really is HTF this time.

Profile photo of Angus
    Angus
    Veteran
    member2

I have to get home have a gf with 3 kids and my ex wife with my 4 kids. I tend to listen too audio books when I’m driving but we have satalite radio, and I tend to read forums and news on internet on my off time. So we should be able to get a good start home. Just doing this job till I can a get down payment for land in vt, ct or me so we can homestead. I’ll probably just drive OTR in the winter then or find something local.

Desert Duck
    Survivalist
    member1

Angus, chapter 9 in the Rawles book “Patriots,” is Shanks Mare, not Skanks, lol.

Really recommend that book for you and your co driver. Keep reading here.

Profile photo of Angus
    Angus
    Veteran
    member2

Lol about to download that book on my tablet from amazon. Lol it is ok I mentally auto corrected to shanks mare. My dad would say shanks mare all the time :) good thing I enjoy walking.

Desert Duck
    Survivalist
    member1

Nice… My grandfather said it too… “Get on Shanks Mare, it’s cheaper and better for you.”

Any chance a couple mountain bikes could be attached to the back of the tractor part of the rig?
    They would speed up your trip home if there was an EMP or other event.

Profile photo of Angus
    Angus
    Veteran
    member2

Seems amazon doesn’t accept PayPal will have to wait till I get home to my new card. Thanks again home depot.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

I think 74 is spot on with making a cache or 2 of food. Desert Duck about the mountain bikes, but really try to find one that doesnt make the clickclickclickclick sound when your not peddling and you will be stealth at night.

I use life boat rations in my hiking bag, you can carry three days of rations (1200 cals per day) and its only a pound or 2. I usually carry 9 days of rations in the bag because walking 8 hours with a pack will mean burning an extra 1200 cals on top of the 2000 cals you burn up every day just resting. Also because they are life boat rations, they do not require a lot of water to digest. They arent heavy on the stomach either, so if your sick its like a soda cracker. Some have vitamins in them, but they taste like ass. Just pack multi vits. The best part is how they make you feel full (no hunger pains) and that they have a 5-7 year shelf life. Tho the packages themselves tend to open if your rough with them.

I also save all my instant noodle flavor packs because of the high salt content, the rations have some sodium but not enough in my opinion if your sweating all day. Lack of salt = cramps, headache, and worst case death.

Giant black garbage bags double as rain poncho/shelter/just a bag for loot. A cheap thermal tube tent is like 30 bucks here, they are light weight, but the’re orange :(

TOILET PAPER and hand sanitizer.

All conditions fire starting kit. Magnesium fire starter ( beware of Chinese knock offs, cant even start them with a blow torch, so test it, and bare in mind even reputable dealers carry them, just no one ever uses them and complains i guess.) Lighter and a candle.

If your planning on hoofing it, plan to carry 3 liters of water per day, and have a way to make three more liters in the evening for the next day.

First aid kit after that. 2x as many bandages as you think you need. 2x antibiotic cream. super glue for stitches. Hydrogen peroxide to clean wounds. (im sure you know the drill)

I carry water purification pills, a camping cook pot (great container), and also a hand pump filter, carbon life straws are good, but they are only .3 micron filters, so you cannot drink out of a dirty toilet with one like that moron on doomsday preppers who was eating clay. My hand pump is a katadyn ceramic .2 micron, its supposed to be 99% effective for life, more or less, but i still wouldnt drink out of a dirty toilet bowl lol.

As far as your security concerns go, i would make every effort to learn everything about the law on the subject where you are. There are many insane loop holes. My dad used to carry a baseball bat, glove and ball in his car in the city. Cant have the bat without the glove and ball or its illegal. Never know when you might want to play catch right?

A knife is also a must for your survival bag of coarse, but my honest suggestion is that its not your first security plan. Knifes require that you get close, and they are messy hit or miss weapons in the hands of the untrained. (i read a story about 2 inmates stabbing another inmate 170 times between the two of them and the guy lived to retaliate) Worst case with a knife is you end up being stabbed with it because the other guy knows what he is doing.

If you find yourself in a SHTF like katrina was, dont assume that because its anarchy for a few weeks that you can get away with murder or assault. They investigate every corpse like it was a murder post shtf.

Thats why i suggest you bring a small video camera, small enough to hide your using it, but good enough to cover your ass later.

Flashlight and bats for sure. Work gloves. Underwear (and thermals underwear, if you have room) 2-4 pairs of socks.

Lastly, an extra pair of shoes, or the first time it rains you wont be going anywhere fast otherwise. You can pre spray them and your socks with foot powder instead of carrying a bottle of foot powder.

I also keep an extra form of ID and a pre paid long distance calling card in my jacket. A wallet is just a decoy for when you get held up.

Hope that helps, i had fun writing this. Pardon my spelling/grammar lol.

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

just re reading, forgot compass and a map for off road travel.

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Profile photo of Angus
    Angus
    Veteran
    member2

All good ideas will see if I can secure my mountain bike to the back, glad I have a good one. Won’t be using my wee little knife as protection. I’m generally left alone much easier targets. I like the idea of lifeboat rations. I was thinking cliff bars or power bars or the like. Lol I used always have a bat, ball and glove in my car. Thought about a take down recurve bow with half dozen arrows.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Angus,
    I didn’t look into all the rules but for a pretty cheap price you could set up PO boxes. They can be reserved on line and you could mail yourself a supply of stuff at each PO without ever going to the site. Some of the boxes are pretty big, see below.

https://www.usps.com/manage/get-a-po-box.htm

Size 5 – X-Large (22 1/2″ x 12″ x 14 3/4″)
    Incoming shipments? Our largest option is big enough for Flat Rate Boxes and Parcels.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.