Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

What are oral rehydration solutions?

Oral rehydration solutions (ORS) are used to treat dehydration caused by diarrhea, a common illness in travellers. Unlike other fluids, the ratio of the ingredients in an ORS matches what the body needs to recover from a diarrheal illness.

An ORS contains three ingredients:

Clean water that has been boiled or disinfected or from a commercially sealed bottle.
    Electrolytes (also called “salts”), which are chemicals that your body needs to function properly.
    Carbohydrates, usually in the form of sugar.
    How and when should an oral rehydration solution be used?
    It is essential to drink extra fluids as soon as diarrhea starts.
    Most healthy adults with uncomplicated travellers’ diarrhea can stay hydrated without ORS by drinking purified water, clear soups, or diluted juices or sports drinks. Although it may not be necessary, healthy adults with mild diarrhea can also use ORS.
    Dehydration from diarrhea is more of a concern in children, those with underlying medical conditions, and the elderly. ORS should be considered for these individuals.
    Fluids should be consumed at a rate to satisfy thirst and maintain pale-coloured urine.
    Instructions for preparing the oral rehydration solution and dosage should be followed carefully. The World Health Organization recommends drinking the following amounts of ORS during a diarrheal illness:

Age then Amount
    Children under 2 years 50–100 mL (¼ to ½ cup) after each episode of diarrhea
    Children 2 to 9 years 100–200 mL (½ to 1 cup) after each episode of diarrhea
    Persons 10 years or older As much as wanted, up to approximately 2L (8½ cups) a day

Infants should continue to receive breast milk or their usual formula in addition to ORS. Children who are no longer nursing and adults should continue to eat solid food in addition to ORS.

Avoid alcohol, caffeinated or sugary drinks like coffee, energy drinks, pop, sweetened fruit juices, and tea. Alcohol and caffeine can worsen dehydration and sugary drinks can worsen diarrhea.

Seek medical attention if the diarrhea is bloody, is accompanied by a high fever, jaundice (yellow skin), or persistent vomiting, or if dehydration or diarrhea does not improve despite the use of ORS.

Preparing oral rehydration solutions
    Use commercially-available oral rehydration salts. Homemade versions of ORS are not recommended to treat dehydration. These should only be used to help prevent or delay the onset of dehydration on the way to seeking medical attention when commercial oral rehydration salts are not available.
    Mixing commercially-available oral rehydration salts with water produces an oral rehydration solution. Instructions for preparing the ORS and dosage should be followed carefully. Always use boiled or treated water to prepare the ORS.
    Packets of oral rehydration salts are available in pharmacies in most countries, although it is recommended to purchase them before leaving Canada and include them in your travel health kit.
    Once prepared, ORS should be consumed or discarded within 12 hours if kept at room temperature or 24 hours if kept refrigerated.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks Husky, good info.
    Also thing to keep in mind that when have patient with diarrhea and vomiting or nausea it is important to give fluids in very small amounts but very often, because if given in large amounts (when patient suffering vomiting or nausea) it induce more vomiting and more nausea, so it become something like bad “circle”.

Use spoons of fluid, very often.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Here is about the best over the counter tablets you can get , used them a lot in Death Valley .
    I have tried a few flavors , and the Lemon-Lime is the least offensive of the flavors , They are not sweet and barely have a flavor at all , which is good because some of the powders are gross and make you more thirsty . THese are fizzy tabs , they replace salts , which many others do not do . On their web site , they were designed by pro athletes . Good Stuff .

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of tmaides
    tmaides
    Survivalist
    member1

This Nunn is a new one for me. After checking it out on Google, it seems to
    contain everything for diarrhea from cholera and similar bad boys that we don’t
    usually get here in the states but after dark times who knows. I’ll add it to
    my medical prep list. Other suggestions like this would be helpful since I’m
    use to buying items overseas.
    Doc 5606

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

It’s a good product , most grocery store chains now carry it in the vitamin isle , like I said , I was doing a job in Death Valley , it was 127 degrees , medium wind , you could literally feel the moisture evaporating off your skin . I had 2 of the Army 2 quart canteens , I put 2 fizzy tabs in each one , they work .

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Whatever you guys do, do NOT do the following.. :)

I was deployed to the desert. Temps were in the one-hundred-and-teens, and we were sucking down water constantly. I went through 2 gallons of drinking water a day, and wasn’t peeing it away… it was all perspiration.

Thinking I would outsmart Mother Nature, when the sun went down and it cooled off, right before I turned in and got some rack time, I chugged an entire canteen of water (somehow thinking it would “rehydrate” me during my rack time)…

Erm, no. I woke up 3 hours later and I had to PEE! In fact, I had to pee so bad I could barely walk. Only made it about 30 feet before the “dam broke” to turn a phrase…

Just… just don’t do that. It’s bad. Well, I mean, it might have done me some good, but having to pee so bad you can’t walk falls under “bad” in my world, soo… just don’t do that. :)

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of Simple
    Simple
    Survivalist
    member1

From The Survival Medicine Handbook written by Joseph Alton M.D. and Amy Alton A.R.N.P.

Oral rehydration packets are commercially available, but you can produce your own homemade rehydration fluid very easily: To one quart of water add:

6 to 8 teaspoons of sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of salt substitute, a pinch of baking soda.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.