Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Pinhead
    Pinhead
    Prepper
    member2

Ontario SP1

I just picked one of these up on Amazon for about $35. It’s built very well, has great reviews and for the price, you can afford to have a 7 inch blade, that you can trust, in your kit. It’s a Ka-Bar copy, but not some cheapo Chinese knockoff.

Anyone else own one or have any field experience with one of these?

"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

It’s not the knock off you think it is.

Ontario is one of the makers of the “Marine” knife and has been for years.
    They weren’t just made by KaBar.

http://ontarioknife.com/fixed-blades/498-marine-combat-knife-nsn-1095-00-392-4102-detail

The standard model (same blade) still has an NSN.

Personally, the blade is a bit thin for my tastes. I’ve broken a KaBar before, same as many soldiers over the years.

The 225Q “Quartermaster” knife of the same vintage (WWII) is a bit better than the Marine knife, in my experience. Same opinion was held by many soldiers back in the Pacific, they scrounged to get the 225Q knives when they could. They were commonly called ‘Commando’ knives. One of the reasons they were popular is that they held up better to the prying and didn’t break like the KaBar’s when opening crates and such, typical soldier abuse.
    They are out there, and depending on condition can be reasonably priced or offensively priced.

225Q Quartermaster knife

Ontario is making a new but fairly close copy of the “Q” knife and it’s for sale for $150 on the Ontario website.

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Although I have no experience with Ontario knives, I’ve heard plenty of great things about them from friends who’ve used them. I’ve personally had my eye on their SP10 Marine Raider Bowie, but I can’t honestly justify having a 15 inch chopper like that right now haha.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Pin,
    Sounds like a fine knife. 1095 is one of the preferred steels for blades and at almost 3/16 thick the blade will do all but the impossible. Don’t expect it to pry open bank vaults without damage.

Profile photo of Hillbilly
    Hillbilly
    Survivalist
    member3

I have a Ontario 498 that I bought in a box of gun-parts at a gun show, I paid $10.00 for the box of mostly junk. The knife was the main reason that I bought all the other stuff. I lightly wire brushed it on a bench grinder,cleaned and oiled the leather sheath.
    I also have a CAMILLUS,N,Y U.S.N. MARK2, very similar to a KABAR.
    Collecting knifes is a hobby of mine, I don’t have any real expensive stuff like Randell or anything, but I do have a lot of mid quality knifes. Of them all, the Ontario is my favorite fighting knife.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Just saw item on EBay. A 225Q Quartermaster knife with starting price of $14.00. Slapped a $45.00 max bid. Then I looked down and saw the price was not for the knife but the sheath it was in.
    I’ve been had!
    Robin

Profile photo of Hillbilly
    Hillbilly
    Survivalist
    member3

Heh, that’s funny Robin, I/we bought a set of multicam BDUs on Ebay once. Got into a bidding war with myself…I don’t buy much on line with out my wife or son’s help for that reason! Well at least your gonna get the sheath. I’ll keep an eye out for you for a 225Q Quartermaster..

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Left or right hand sheath?

Pinhead
    Pinhead
    Prepper
    member2

I wanted to update you guys on the sheath I got for this knife. I got a KA-BAR #1216 Hard Knife Sheath from Amazon for like 14 bucks. I removed the belt loop section and used paracord to lace it onto my drop leg panel with my holster. It may not look like much, but it’s amazing how solid the sheath is mounted. Also, the knife is very secure even without the top loop to secure the handle. You can shake the hell out of it and it won’t come out. But, as soon as you give it a modest pull it’s out.

$35 knife in $14 sheath… not too shabby for the prepper on a budget.

leg rig

"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I like that, and the holster. I have the same one to wear with my chest rig.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.