Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    flatlander
    flatlander
    Survivalist
    member2

I read “One Second After” by William R. Forstchen a couple of months ago. I believe it is one the best post-apocalyptic novels ever written. Since reading the novel I have suggested the book to several people who have read it and enjoyed it immensely. If this novel doesn’t shake you to your emotional core you may be living in a state of blissful denial. The author tells the story of a group of people living in a small town in western North Carolina whose lives are forever altered one afternoon by three nuclear warhead explosions high above the atmosphere.

This isn’t your average post-nuclear war novel. The townspeople don’t even realize anything unusual has happened. Then they notice the power is out all over town. None of their cars will start, except some older vintage models from the pre-80s era. None of their electronic devices work. All communications have been cut off. The nuclear explosions have generated an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) that has taken out the country’s power grid and fried every electronic component from coast to coast. The novel chronicles the lives of the townspeople as they slowly succumb to starvation, disease, and anarchy while trying to maintain some semblance of normal life. The author pulls no punches in describing the physical suffering and emotional trauma experienced by the townspeople as they battle to stay alive.

Why should this book bother anyone? Because every scientific fact upon which the story is based is accurate. The events depicted in “One Second After” are not only possible, they are highly probable given what the experts know about the crippling effects of a nuclear bomb generated EMP on the country’s infrastructure.

One Second After

http://ageofdecadence.com/second-after-review/

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thanks Flatlander

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Flatlander – thanks for mentioning the book. It’s a great book but must say it blew me away, so to speak, even though I had already read and listened to lots of things about the results of an EMP. He is a good writer, taking a subject and making it more ‘real’ to everyday people.

Profile photo of Amanda11
    Amanda11
    Survivalist
    member3

This was a great “what if” book, using many different examples of societal breakdown post-SHTF. It presented OPSEC situations to consider that are woven into a story that is relatable to the average person, and was a good read (even if it did keep me awake for a few nights after!).

It’s crazy that what so many of us are preparing for the most isn’t the actual EVENT, but how people react afterwards. This book goes a long way to describing the last-than-savory aspects of survival.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

I concur….

This is a great book to really showcase how vulnerable even the most well thought out SHTF contingencies can be. I must say that this book is going to allow me to purchase an older vehicle and Mad Max the crap out of it. If nothing else it will be fun to build and even more fun to drive around….. Yup. The wife is down with this idea…..

My wife rocks as does this book.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I read it when it was first published and it was incredibly well done. An EMP is my worst fear. We can recover from pretty much anything else.

Profile photo of stingray
    stingray
    Survivalist
    member2

Hi All,
    My first post.

As a DOD engineer for more than 25 years, I’ve worked some EMP problems on several weapon systems, and EMP is a killer for electronics!

I first read the book some months ago when a US Border Patrol Captain I work with told me it came down his chain of command as “recommended reading”, nuff said!

It’s well written and a thought provoker. I really liked the hero’s petroleum weapons tactics. Took me back to Vietnam “Foo Gas” and the British WWII Petroleum Warfare Department ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum_Warfare_Department ).

Stingray

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Stingray, Thanks for your post. I sent this book to my wife’s kindel today thinking it might spark more interest in preparation if she reads it. Since she is a murder mystery fan I figure it will draw her in.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks for the review Flatlander!

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Great book! I read it over the weekend. A definite eye opener if you have any doubts as to how quickly and badly society can break down in SHTF event. It also gave some good insight on how long it might take to get help in this situation. One of the aspects of this book that altered my view point slightly was martial law. Say martial law around any conservative or prepper and the hackles immediately go up, myself included. Looking at martial law from a town leaders perspective as presented in this book give one pause. He is trying to save as many as he can with very little to work with. I don’t want to spoil the book for anyone but we can only hope martial law is carried out on a local level as depicted in this book. There many topics in this book that most people may have not thought about. One that hit close to home for me was romantic relationships that developed. I have 2 daughters who still think boy have coodies but I know the inevitable bite of the love bug is not too far in their future. I had never even considered stocking up on birth control for them. Stressful circumstances draw people together for comfort. It would be a big misstep on my part if don’t take this into consideration. Read this book. It will make you look at your plans again.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Matt, There is no question in my mind that in most places the reigning local government officals will try to lord over the populous. In most case this will be a bad thing because they are truly clueless. About those girls daddy, buy more scary looking guns and lots of ammunition. :)

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

HAHAHA 74 yeah got that part covered. If they start dating before a SHTF moment my plan is to just take them all out shooting. While the young man is watching my girls shred targets at 200 yds I will just lean up and whisper” Son I wouldn’t worry about me yet just don’t hurt those girls. You can’t run far enough fast enough.”

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Best thing I heard was to be out watering the bushes when someone is coming to the house. If you don’t like how he looks & acts turn the hose on him.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Talking with a customers wife recently, she was picking up a gun, she mentioned reading the book and her thought was she was going to be one of the first to go.
    Not a gun person, not a real prepper, but a nice lady, hope her husband can keep her safe is anything happens.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Some people are really fatalistic in their perceptions of themselves. I kind of hate being around those people.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.