Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Whirlibird wrote:</div>I couldn’t tell you how many calls we went on where the door hadn’t been locked.

Burglary, thefts, assaults, most could have been prevented, or the residents given a fighting chance if they’d locked the doors.

Most had guns, just not on them.<br>
    Gun or not, you still have to lock the door.

Renters. If you lock the door and someone breaks in to get your stuff… You pay for the damage to the landlords property. Owners care more and use better locks etc.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Thats why renters insurance is a good idea , a lot of places in my state require it , or they wont rent to you .

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Actually these were family farms as well as small town homes.

“In 80 years we’ve never locked the door” or something similar was often said.
    And that’s why the tv, guns and checkbooks are missing now.

Somebody away on vacation, at a funeral, or just on the night shift for three years running, all predictable and common.

And yes, renters insurance is a great idea.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Ok so burglary is a problem as well as home invasions. What ideas do you have for preventing and limiting the consequences of a home invasion?

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>74 wrote:</div>Ok so burglary is a problem as well as home invasions. What ideas do you have for preventing and limiting the consequences of a home invasion?

Prevention:
    Burglar bars on the windows, locked gates on the doors, alarm system (and use it), don’t advertise what you have such as that lost Picasso. Blend in with the neighbors. That $6000 Rolex doesn’t tell time any better than a $30 Casio or Timex, but it does attract attention. Lock the doors. House/landscape designed to limit access/egress, funnel the bad guys where they can’t do as much damage.

Limiting consequences/effect:
    Safe room (s) with solid core doors and heavy duty frames (that lock!) with charged cell phones inside. Anybody tries to get, into the bolt hole and dial 911.

Have a gun, practice with said gun, wear said gun, be prepared to use said gun.

Stay out of condition white. Just because you’re home doesn’t mean you let your guard down.

Lock your doors.

Shatter resistant film on the windows, great for storms and bricks.
    If nothing else, it serves as a warning that something bad is happening.

One friend, an electrical engineer made a simple light circuit.
    Anyone entering any door or window would light up a led on the outside of the house. Even him. But he knew to turn it off and reset the system for next time.
    He came home to find the light on, seems a couple local kids decided they wanted some of his beer. He just backed out of the driveway and waited for the Sheriff’s deputies to arrive. He handed them the keys and waited for them to drag the kids out.

There’s a start. Mostly uncommon sense items.

Profile photo of dov sar
    dov sar
    Survivalist
    member1

Dogs help in a rural setting. We use a 6-7 ft. fence for farm compound perimeter with 4 livestock guardian dogs including 3 Ovcharkas. We always keep one or two in the house at night at a couple in the yard. Even with a silencer you are going to hear some serious noise if anyone tries to take down the dogs; lots of yelping. If they did not shoot the dogs they would be too busy trying to get away to do any damage as the dogs would make short work of them. Most livestock guardian dogs will not take food from strangers so they can’t be poisoned; they are better than mechanical systems. It does take a strong personality to handle livestock guardian dogs, but if you can handle them they are an excellent asset.

If you can not handle livestock guardian dogs, even a few little ankle biter dogs that bark at strangers will do the trick in alerting you to danger; even the Navy Seals overseas were thwarted on sneaking up on places by dogs barking.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

“Have a gun, practice with said gun, wear said gun, be prepared to use said gun” – Whirly

Whirly do you wear a gun in the house? I know a few fellows that do but they don’t have wives.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

If your raising livestock , there are some birds that sound off if a stranger or predator is around , Guinea hens , Geese ( geese will actually go after a human ) and believe it or not , peacocks , peacocks are very loud ! They can fly and like to roost on the roof of your house .

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Alarm systems on doors and windows work pretty good. Pressure mats. Lexan windows. Motion detector yard lights. Remote turn on of lights inside and out. etc. etc. Panic room. Concealed emergency pistols around the house.

Basically spying on yourself with a bolt hole and planned escape route. Fight and/or flight option.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

dov sar, I had to look up what an Ovcharka was. Beautiful dogs! Not to get off track but dogs that large must eat a lot. How would you feed them in a long term SHTF scenario?

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Soilent Green

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>74 wrote:</div>“Have a gun, practice with said gun, wear said gun, be prepared to use said gun” – Whirly

Whirly do you wear a gun in the house? I know a few fellows that do but they don’t have wives.

Unless I’m sleeping or showering, I have one on.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Whirlibird wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>74 wrote:</div>“Have a gun, practice with said gun, wear said gun, be prepared to use said gun” – Whirly

Unless I’m sleeping or showering, I have one on.

It enhances your quality of life. I agree completely with that idea.

Profile photo of Pheonix
    Pheonix
    Survivalist
    member5

Ninjas could not sneak up on my Chihuahua/Rat Terrier Mix and whenever he hears something the Basset Hound starts baying too.

My neighbors already know I am not a man to be messed with. I have dragged more than one unruly child home and asked the parents to deal with him before I do. They also know I am the go to guy in a crisis. My son and I put out a vehicle fire 30 minutes before the fire department showed up and I have taken care of auto accident victims until help arrived.

In both instances everyone was just standing around talking about what was happening. I immediately started giving orders and organized everyone to handle the situations.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Phoenix,
    I’ve learned along the way that no matter what you might believe other people think of you, what they really think will be different then your conception.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.