Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

A movie that largely passed under most people’s radar was On The Beach, a 2000 remake of a 1959 movie which had Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, Fred Astaire, Anthony Perkins, based on a novel by Neville Shute. The 2000 version featured Armand Assante, Bryan Brown and Rachel Ward.

Not a prepper or survivalist movie but a true End of the World catastrophe film. Set against a background of nuclear war destroying the northern hemisphere, the show follows what happens in the south, and the effort to solve a daily radio transmission from the north where there should be no survivors.

A trailer:

The whole movie [with audio out of sync, sadly]:

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I remember reading this book back in high school. It was not assigned reading just one I read over the summer. I only remember bits and pieces now but I still remember not liking it much due to the ending. The book was written with a Cold War mindset. Given the differences in political climate now as opposed to when I read the book and the fact that I am older and see things differently I wonder what I would think of it. Might have to find a copy and breeze back through it again or maybe watch the movie.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I never saw it so I will look it up and watch the movie. Thanks for the heads up.

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

I should warn that the ending is grim and upsetting.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Yesterday my local movie channel was showing; Testament, an 1980’s movie about survival in a small town after the nukes. I thought that it was interesting that they showed it now.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

A while back, 20 years or so, I picked up a vhs copy of “The Survivalist”.
    True grade B material, but it had a few good points in it. Ignore the bad drama.

You can watch the entire thing on youtube.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I watched the original 1959 movie some years back but I was unaware of the 2000 remake. The 1959 version was pretty grim. Maybe I’ll pick up a copy of the book.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

“Waltzing Maltilda” is now playing and playing in my head! No fair.
    Robin

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

I liked “On The Beach”, pretty realistic atmosphere, but yea I agree it is very grim.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.