Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

I have been looking on the web for some time for an olive oil lamp, without success. If anyone knows where to find them I’d be grateful to know about it.

The advantage of an olive (or canola or whatever) lamp is that you can grow your own oil and always have an ongoing fuel supply after all the other fuels and battery devices have been used up in a long term crisis world. It’s a clean burning oil that doesn’t smoke or smell. It’s harder to light than lamp oil(having a higher ignition point) but burns brightly once lit.

A hurricane lamp is not suited to olive oil because the oil is heavy and doesn’t rise up a vertical wick. The wick needs to be almost horizontal. In ancient times they used a style of lamp that reminds me of a gravy boat; low and somewhat flattish, with a handle on one end and a spout for the wick on the other, and an oil chamber with a lid in between.

I’ve often thought making these could be a good little earner for someone with pottery or glass blowing skills to make and sell to preppers worldwide who would have an interest in such a lamp.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

You can make them , downside is open flame , but dirt simple , all you need is a small jar , a wick of some kind , ( shoelace , string , etc . ) and oil ….thats it ;)

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Like Tolik said. Here is my verson.
    Mason jar lamps

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.