Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

I’ve been doing some poking around in threads that pre-existed my arrival here at the SHTF Forum, and found a real gem – both in terms of lessons learned, as well as motivation. It’s Aukxsona’s thread from 2015 started (and ended) over at: Religion & Faith / How Paganism helps me to stay positive about any SHTF scenerio

The Paganism aspect may have kept some away from bothering to read it (though a number of the “regulars” did anyway), but it really wasn’t about that nearly as much as attitude, motivation, and resourcefulness. There we had someone who started from absolute ignorance in 2007, yet built exceptionally broad and useful knowledge in less than eight years, with an intention to go on even further. She was a contributor to the Forum with whom I was previously unfamiliar – what a loss. And why that thread suddenly ended is a mystery to me. At least for me, it belonged right here in this area, because it was about what she accomplished because of her attitudes and background – not a thread about Paganism overall.

One major problem for me, however, is willingness vs. reality. Doing some math from one of Aukxsona’s posts, it appears she was about 35 when she was posting those posts. Double that, and things become a bit more of a challenge – heck, if I started now, I’d be nearly 80 by the time I learned what she learned. And they physical stamina simply isn’t there. Yet it still leaves me with the question of whether that’s at least in part out of habit, rather than potential stamina even at my age. I’ve gotten a little more active recently, and have actually been surprised at what I’ve physically accomplished this week – without being exhausted and crashing. Maybe I really can do more than I think I can – others in their 70s and even 80s do it, and perhaps it’s not entirely about genetics, but philosophy and motivation.

Perhaps Aukxsona’s thread can be resurrected here with input from people that have had good experiences with gaining and then successfully applying knowledge to survive if circumstances required it – but then lived the lifestyle anyway, so the “need” wouldn’t even be a factor if/when it rears up its ugly head for most other people. If some already have learned how to live in the early 1800s, and then make that a lifestyle, the world can plunge around them without necessarily creating a disaster for them when it does. Additionally, it would be nice to see some of the “missing” folks return here, such as Aukxsona. What a great thread that was – sadly lost in a topic many would not bother looking in. I’m glad I did, and got curious.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

It was a good thread, buried like so many under the day to day political claptrap.

A number of members have come and gone since that day, I occasionally wonder if we stuck with the practical aspect of the subjects rather than worrying about the BS, if those same people would still be here.

Time for some thread mining to bring some of the practical back I say.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I recall being very impressed with her. I’d love to have her back her, giving us updates at least.

I also do think we’ve turned some good folks off with our non-stop political discussions, especially the non-US folks. There were a lot of very good prepper type discussions a couple years ago. I learned a lot and enjoyed the international flavor.

GS, yes old dogs can learn new tricks. At my age (64) I know the effects of time but I also know I can run rings around most my age because I have always been active physically. Just doing little things can make a difference over time. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Park far out in the lot rather than vying for the spot closest to the door. Do chores yourself instead of hiring it out (mowing the lawn, stacking wood etc). Walk fast rather than sauntering along. Take on projects you didn’t think yourself capable of and you might be surprised. It was with a bit of trepidation over the amount of physical labor involved that I started my stone wall work a year ago, and exhausting as it was, it got done and the end result exceeded my expectations.

The same can be said about acquiring new skills. Just try something new. Even if you don’t become an expert you’ll know more than you did. I’m no master gardener but having veggie gardens and starting plants from seed yields a lot of knowledge I wouldn’t have if I just bought it at the store. Trial and error are great teachers.

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

I agree that some may have been turned off by all the political stuff. But I happen to believe that that’s more of an excuse than anything, or maybe even just a “logical” deduction that happens to be false. After all, Selco did create many different topics in the Forum, and for the MOST part, the survival/preparedness oriented ones generally survived well while they lasted at least – without being hijacked entirely. Each of us has a choice whether to participate in the political ones, and/or how much. And that’s why I posted this thread in this topic – to hopefully resurrect some of the great ideas that exist in past writings by many.

I hope this doesn’t now make a quick turn INTO a discussion of what caused the decline, who’s to blame (if anyone), etc., etc. I just hope it will stay on topic and perhaps attract some of the quality posts that existed in Aukxsana’s original thread from two years ago.

With that, thanks MB for the words of encouragement. The journey from 64 to here (only a bit over ½ decade in my case) has seen a rapid decline in the curve of strength, abilities (physical at least), and recovery time. But as I’ve begun to physically WORK harder this year, I’m also feeling renewed energy. I needed the extra reminder – thanks. I don’t expect to move to 10 acres in the country at this age and begin to learn what Aukxsana learned in her 8 years from mid-20s to mid-30s. But that doesn’t mean I’m ready for a postage-stamp sized over-55 dwelling, complete with lawn care and no garden space, either. For now, we’ve got the capability of far more self-sufficiency than we’re utilizing, and it’s just these kinds of ideas that will help create the results we want – and the resulting satisfaction as well as protection against whatever comes.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

I for one have been backing up, returning to a more simplistic, centered style of prepping.

Focusing on revamping and rebuilding what was sold, lost or abandoned when we moved.
    Taking from the mistakes of the past, revisiting actual needs vs wants, trying to put it all together again without the mistakes this time.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

There has never been anything on the forum that prevented discussion about preparation or any aspect of being ready for shtf. All of the topics are open for members to post.

Going back and reading the thread I discover as will often happen, it was highjacked into a meaningless discussion without substance.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Profile photo of 74 74.
    • This reply was modified 2 months ago by Profile photo of 74 74.
    chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

It was a good thread, buried like so many under the day to day political claptrap.

A number of members have come and gone since that day, I occasionally wonder if we stuck with the practical aspect of the subjects rather than worrying about the BS, if those same people would still be here.

Time for some thread mining to bring some of the practical back I say.

Yep!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.