Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of lci115lewis

Up on Google Books I found what seems to be a rather interesting old manual (one of their free ones):
    “First-aid Manual for Field Parties” by Howard Wilson Barker of the US Forest Service, dated 1917. Obviously not all the information is still valid, but the illustrations are excellent. I do find it interesting how some things have come back, particularly the picture captioned “Edges of a cut wound held together with adhesive plaster.”, the illustration is what we would automatically call Steri-strips today.

I think it is safe to say that using a 1 to 1000 dilution of bichloride of mercury and water to sterilize your hands is no longer accepted as a good idea, and the eye drops they recommend for the first aid kit are probably not available any more (one half grain of cocaine, 15 grains of boracic [spelled like that in the book] acid and an ounce of water). But there is a lot of information that will only change when the anatomy you are dealing with has changed.

Plus there are a lot of old engineering books up there also, steam engines, electrical, military, you name it they probably have something up there that is at least close to what you were looking for (as long as it was around pre-WW2, at least if you are a cheap SOB like me who only goes for the free books).

Profile photo of MountainBiker

Old first aid manuals are a great idea, and could prove to be more practical under a SHTF scenario given limited resources that would be available to most of us. I have tucked away a few old books of a technical nature for “just in case” purposes. I go to our library’s book sales and for $.25 each always come home with an armful of old books for $4 or $5 that I think are worth holding onto. Some are history based, others classics (children & adult), and occasionally I do find a great reference or technical book of some sort. I have held onto a 1950’s set of Americana encyclopedias that have a wealth of old detail on many things. I have so many books (a couple thousand maybe) that it has occurred to me that I could equip a library post-SHTF in the old one room schoolhouse across the way from me if it were to be put back in operation for the kids in our hamlet. I’d love to find old first aid books.

Got three or four old First Aid books from the 1960’s. Put out by the American Red Cross.

Old stuff is always good to have.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of patjoe

At The Toronto Hospital we had one wing built in the War of 1812, and our librarian kept the records of that era. A homeless patient had swollen legs with infected ulcers that did not respond to antibiotics. The staff were concerned the man would lose his legs. They searched the archives and followed the advice from 1812. The nurses placed maggots in bandages and wrapped the man’s legs with them. The maggots removed the dead tissue the staff thought would develop gangrene. To remove the maggots, the nurses applied bacon grease to clean bandages and changed the dressings. The maggots willingly left the wound for the bacon grease. The patient recovered and was released back to the streets. Also, leeches do take down swelling. Just a couple of useful animals to think about in these days of antibiotic resistance.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.