Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

:)
    Nice idea Whirlibird, and great skill for sure.
    Anyway between your two options I vote for M-16.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I don’t see why it MUST be an AK, but meld minds with Selco and see if it flys. I think it could be a boost to the school and to you. Make 12, do one a month for a year. I’m sure it would be required to be in the US only, and meet all applicable laws, etc.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

There is an AK-101 which shoots 5.56. That would probably be something like a Valmet although I’ve never seen one. In AK its possible to build even a .308. I see articles in Shotgun News and other places. The AK and the AR have become the universal donors of the gun world.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Sooo, we’re limited to the AR and the FAL?

Booooo…. That’s no fun.

Get an HK53/93 receiver and build a hot rod. 1/7 match barrel, fluted chamber. Wood furniture (stock, forend, etc). It’s probably just me, but wood is easier on the face than plastic when the temps drop to below freezing. You can crop a surplus walnut G3 forend to fit the smaller 93/53/33 if you absolutely have to.

A match trigger pack from HKParts.net will swap in. Improved recoil buffer drops recoil to near zero. I got a friend in Europe who has a line on ex-Bundeswehr stuff, so getting a 3rd Gen Hensoldt ZF24 with the correct cams for M855 ammo is possible. Also an issue Fero Z51, if you’re interested. Though use of either will mean you need a cheek piece to raise your head up.

Standard HK flash hider. That way, you can pop it off and toss on a suppressor at will. I’d go with an extended cocking handle, as the standard one is a bit short if you’ve got gloves on.

Strip and refinish the walnut furniture and fine bead blast all the metal. Finish the metal in a nice black nitride or even plain grey parkerizing…. that would be one bada$$ed little rifle… and please, if you do this, no bipod.

Or, you could always build another ho-hum AR or FAL knockoff…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

There’s a reason, several actually, but first the welding.
    Having fixed a 51 recently, anything I can’t build with hand tools and a vise is out.
    The G3 has a lot of attributes, but having had a real H&K, not enough.

The , 223 cartridge is secondary, when I build the AR it will be a 6.8 or .300BO.
    Here .223 is legal up to deer with 60 gr bullets, and as this will be a hunting and defense gun primarily, including elk, ill pass on the .223 until I finish the training upper.

I have a wood G1 stock right here.
    I would stil use the SA long stock,it fits.
    And I’ll do another Rhodie, that babypoo color really works.

I wish they were more boring, people keep having to have them.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Whirl,

You don’t have a Bridgeport or a South Bend? Well, that’s no fun. Half the fun of being a smithy is making stuff up whole cloth – especially making your own tools.

And if a rifle can handle a 5.56mm, then it can handle your 6.8, etc… which means all you really need is a barrel in 6.8 with the right profile and trunion to have an HK in 6.8. Everything else would work. If you had a lathe, you could just get a 6.8 blank and cut whatever profile you wanted… but meh…

There’s nothing wrong with the FAL. It’s like Glocks, HK’s and 1911’s… some folks love certain ones, others don’t for whatever reasons. Making a 6.8 version of a PSG1 would be pretty kick a$$ though…

Keep on keepin’ on…

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Making tools is one thing, have mill and lathe, just field serviceability.
    If I can’t build it in the field, it’s lost much of it’s charm.

Again, I’ve had the H&K’s, including a 770, they just don’t trip my trigger anymore.
    Especially after putting a G3 out of commission when a backpack was dropped on it.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Dude, field serviceability?

Back when HK and I were in negotiations (they hired me prior to 9/11), the guy I was talking with had just come back from White Sands where they were doing destruction testing on some of their stuff…

They put 50,000 rounds through a pair of MP5’s…

Each.

No FTF, no FTE, no stoppages…

The engineering is pretty much the same, whether it’s an MP, a G3, an MG3, etc… Yeah, they’re a little quirky sometimes, but I’ve never seen one fail. Ever. Can’t say that about an AR. Seen an M16A2 with a quarter of the bolt face blown away, including 3 locking lugs, the spring and plunger in the bolt face, and it was supposed to be “new”. Never seen a bolt-over in anything HK either – you know, when an AR tries to feed two rounds at once and one round goes over the bolt and jams itself under the gas tube? The other one goes under. Meaning you have to take it apart to fix it…

Okay, okay… I’m done bagging on the AR… everyone knows it’s strengths and weaknesses..

Just sayin’ I think the G3/93/53/33 platform is superior is all.

Edit: If I can’t build it in the field, it’s lost much of it’s charm.

During the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan, the Mujaheddin pulled up hunks of railroad track and made functional AK copies out of them.

In caves.

With hand tools.

Then beat the crap out of the Soviets with them.

Just sayin’…

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

+ 1 FAL

Though it’s not an easy choice for me.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

The H&Ks need a welder to build.
    Enough said.

I laid down my choices and parameters, and am going to stick with those.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Making tools is one thing, have mill and lathe, just field serviceability.
    If I can’t build it in the field, it’s lost much of it’s charm.

Again, I’ve had the H&K’s, including a 770, they just don’t trip my trigger anymore.
    Especially after putting a G3 out of commission when a backpack was dropped on it.

But did you ever have an HK SR9T or a PSG1. Surely the person who dropped the 70lb backpack on one of those would have to pay the full tab for having it repaired … which would be sustantial.

Just a G3, who cares. It must have been defective to start.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Not defective, just an alice pack. dented/bent the receiver and trigger housing.
    My gun, another persons pack, he threw it into the back of the truck without looking.

SR9T or a PSG1? No, I can’t see paying what amounts to a large down payment on a house for
    sheet metal that I can’t drive. However if you’re buying I’d be happy to take one.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Enough said.

HAH! You mean you’ve never knocked together a crude – but perfectly serviceable – stick welder with a truck battery, jumper cables and a wire coathanger? Heh…

Nobody said you had to deviate from what you want. Just spitballing, is all… You want to build truckloads of AR’s and FAL’s? Go on ahead with your bad self. Nobody stopping you.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Not defective, just an alice pack. dented/bent the receiver and trigger housing.
    My gun, another persons pack, he threw it into the back of the truck without looking.

SR9T or a PSG1? No, I can’t see paying what amounts to a large down payment on a house for
    sheet metal that I can’t drive. However if you’re buying I’d be happy to take one.

The only thing I’m buying is bigger sheet metal, the bo airstream. Thats a horror story about denting the receiver. i may have to get a drag bag for it.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Enough said.

HAH! You mean you’ve never knocked together a crude – but perfectly serviceable – stick welder with a truck battery, jumper cables and a wire coathanger? Heh…

Nobody said you had to deviate from what you want. Just spitballing, is all… You want to build truckloads of AR’s and FAL’s? Go on ahead with your bad self. Nobody stopping you.

You’ve had a bad couple of weeks/months haven’t you?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.