Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Opportinity has kicked me in the face.
    A customer had to have my AR. (I lose more guns this way)
    So an opportunity to build another rifle exists.

Now I will be building both, the question is which first?

FAL
    Or
    AR in 6.8 or .300BO.

The AR is cheaper and easier and I am already more than half done.
    I have a retro M-16 semi only, early A1 Vietnam style that I have been piecing together for about a year, a pin here, a spring there.
    And in its case, it will be identical but for the clambering with an additional .223 upper when I feel like it.

Or the other choice….

The FAL.
    For a couple hundred more, well I have another FAL.
    Just like the AR someone had to have my last one more than I, so there’s something missing in the stable.

Like I said this isn’t an either or, its a which first question.

So what does the board say?

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Build the Fal and then disassemble it so you can send it to me one piece at a time, with instructions on how to put it back together.

Maybe I’ll run into one at a gun show but I doubt it now. It would be like finding a pink elephant. You know they’re out there but in hiding.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

FAL

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

+1 FAL

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Keep us posted on how the project evolves. Throw in some pics.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Build the FAL then you can raffle it off on the forum. Set it up as a “Selco Survivalist” by Whirlybird

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

custom with a boron coated receiver (self lubricating) timney trigger and a better barrel http://store.legionfirearms.com/ or lilja. sounds like you have the parts.

it would also depend if you wanted to sell it or keep, for a quick turn over just go with a standard ar platform more suited for your customer base rather than an expensive gun safe queen that you dont use.

if any of you have a m1a and want to drop some weight http://www.m14.ca/ did this and a sadlak titanium mount with a mako stock,

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Thanks namelus, for the m1a info and also the ghilli suit info you sent me. I was just going to buy one off the shelf until your email rattled my brain to life. lol

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

it is better to have the skills to make things than the ability to buy ready made. yeah first few times you are not as good but after awhile you get better than what you can buy and you can make from scraps around you. Some items are hard to do this with ie machined parts with special coatings but many we just rather buy than make….this is mistake not to have tools to make what you can in bad scenario you have skills and items everyone would want.

Think if you fail now what is cost a few dollars and a oops will do better next time and you have tools to do so what happens when it is different even getting tools will be hard. You mess up canning…. here piggy piggy lol go to store and buy some food… later it would be much worse plus gives you an idea of how much you will actually need in supplies, plus storage skills. Yes i will admit it i have had huge mess up on FIFO and storage with both rot and pest problems …. fixed now. when i can get more, if later would have been a disaster of epic proportions.

An example of this is the knife purchase thread. better to learn to make one than buy.

the skills and tips from people on here with years/decades of experience in their fields is something to learn from in as much detail as you can now when you can.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Build the Fal and then disassemble it so you can send it to me one piece at a time, with instructions on how to put it back together.

Maybe I’ll run into one at a gun show but I doubt it now. It would be like finding a pink elephant. You know they’re out there but in hiding.

Once mine is finished, one never knows.

Check the falfiles boards, there’s always FALs for sale, by make and country even.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

I will admit, I prefer the FAL by a large percentage.
    And with no carbine classes coming up, I don’t need an AR right this second.

Namelus, these are for me and mine, as were the previous ones.
    And I can’t stand most of the junk available for the AR today, all the rails, chunky and lumpy stocks, its also why every student falls for my light little carbines as opposed to their chunks of pig iron and has to have them.

Had the M1a, didn’t keep it, don’t miss it. Built and shot plenty.

Building rifles has given me a perspective that is hard to describe, but certain guns while good, don’t fit my needs.

The FAL is easier to build, more ergonomic, I’m faster in action with it, it fits better especially with the long South African stock, and the adjustable gas regulator suits me better than the self adjusting one on the M1a that sometimes doesn’t.

Plus I stil have a pile of FAL mags.

Hmm.
    Time to order another receiver.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

M-16. Except use a latter gen chrome barrel. First ones over there sucked!
    Robin

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirly, build two. Talk to Selco & Jay about doing the raffle. You guys make money and someone gets a good gun.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Whirly, build two. Talk to Selco & Jay about doing the raffle. You guys make money and someone gets a good gun.

This is SHTFSCHOOL, it would have to be an AK.
    Hmmm.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

FrankenFAL first and then do an AR in 50 Beowulf and then an AR 10 in .300 WSM or something.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.