Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Is it just me or the region ? I love gun shows , they are just entertaining to go to , weather or not you buy anything . I have noticed a trend in the past few years tho , it seems to me that the good deals are getting few and far between . It seems to me that the prices are only slightly better than retail , for what is essentially a used weapon of unknown care . Forget about ammo , you can find better deals on line . Not to say that you cant find good deals on a firearm , because you absolutely can , I have recently with an FAL , but not like it used to be . I go around booth to booth looking at guns saying to myself , ” You want that much money , for that !!!!?????? , no thank you, and good luck dude ” . I never pay retail , I am a patient man , I go to gun shows regularly , but am starting to have much better luck at pawn shops in recent days .

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Haven’t been in three years now, since my last table.
    Deals, that really varied even then.
    I had a stack of Glock 22s one show, $285 out the door with three mags.
    Cosmetic flaws but mechanically perfect and I had resprung them all.
    Couldn’t give them away.

Three weeks later, 25 G17s went before noon at $350.

Another show, 12 Model 10 Smiths at $185-225. Again, went through every one fixing them all before they hit the table, tight and right.
    Went home with 4.

There’s no telling what and where.
    One friend just grabbed s BM59 built on a Garand receiver for the price of the parts kit. Crude conversion but it runs perfect.

Retail? Thats one benefit to having an FFL.
    At least for my friends.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Your probably right , spin the wheel each time you go . The last one I was at last month , had a ton of Walther P-38s , they wanted a high price for the war years models ( historical ) , but the post war , German police models were reasonable . Almost got one , they are good , simple pistols . Waited about a week , then went into a pawn shop while running errands , and picked up a modern Sig 9mm for about the same price they were selling some of the P-38s for at the show . I guess patience is the key for all of it , some guys are greedy , others are just getting rid of things they dont want , and just want to make some quick cash , and dont really care that much . Never had a Sig before , but am turning into a fan of them .

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

I quit going to them with the expectation of getting any firearms. The bins-o-crap have some good scores many times. Reloading components are a total joke: because they have it they think they can charge 2x as much for it – maybe 2 years ago, buddy……..

Even pawn shops charge OVER retail of new firearms around here. The only decent deals to be had where I live are either through private party sales (now have to fill out transfer paperwork, though) or to buy new through someplace like Sportsman’s Warehouse. They are usually well under MSRP for things. For instance I just got a PMR-30 with 150 rounds for $413 out the door. Several pawn shops had PMR’s for high $500’s/low $600’s….

Used to be that pawn shops and gun shows were where all the screaming deals were.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I gave up on gun shows years ago. Many many years sgo. Around here it’s an opportunity for hucksters to take advantage of newbies, Any public forum for sales is filled with aholes trying to soak the unkowning, Going to a shop is safer and cheaper. If I buy a new gun the online venues will be the source.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

All my .454 casull ammo has come from gun shows. sometimes I spend nothing and sometimes I spend a lot. The local stores here don’t carry much of anything. If you see a gun you want though you either buy on the spot or its gone the next day. I’ve hesitated before and never found another one. It’s like living in a desert here with a lot of junk around but occasionally I get lucky. Cuomo’s war on gun owners is costing him votes and the state is taking an economic hit from the democrat stupidity.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of Brulen Brulen.
    Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Have given up on gun shows for anything except reloading supplies. Still look at all the tables but there is just not anything that lights my fire for the prices they are asking. With the progressives spouting off on guns, the next round of panic buying will drive the prices up again. Still keep looking for the private buyer who is selling his collection but doesn’t think he needs to get rich doing it.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Thats pretty much how I picked up my FAL , it was an old guy getting rid of some things he had , looked like it was his first time as a seller . He only had about 6 guns , and his wife was selling off some unrelated antiques .

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

He only had about 6 guns , and his wife was selling off some unrelated antiques .

How’d you find him – pure luck, Saturday morning yard sale surfing, or what?

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

The last gun show I attended was during the last ammo scare. Friend wanted me to pick up $100 of 223. That’s exactly how many shells he got, 100!
    I like having the same caliper in handgun and long gun (Rock Island 1911/High Point carbine). There are also the 2 7.62×39 rifles (Mini-30/AK), shotguns, couple 9mm, Mosin, etc etc but have plenty of ammo for now.
    Other than a couple of case buys I purchase everything through my friendly pawn shop. Helps him and I get 10% over cost on any new orders.
    Robin

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

GS,
    LOL , no , those guys are few and far between , but the show I was at was small time , local show , not one of the big ones . The big ones are held once a month and alternate between the football stadium and the Maricopa county fair grounds ( not a small place either ) . The small local ones have more regular people , but a lot less variety , the big ones have a huge variety , but a lot of greedy opportunists . The pawn shops around here are hit and miss , some you know not to go into , others are very reasonable to cheap , depending on what conditions they acquired the gun in the first place .

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Gun shows and pawn shops no longer have much in the way of deals. We watch for private people coming in with guns to sell, and pounce on them ;). I go to gun shows because I love guns and love to look at them, especially historical weapons. And I agree, that prices will probably be going up in another ‘scare’ due to upcoming elections and uncertainty about the outcome.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Good to hear from you wildartist. I was just thinking about you earlier this evening.

As for gun shows I’ve only ever been to one that was held here locally a couple years ago. It was so crowded that it was hard to move through. No great bargains, though my son did buy an antique pistol just because he thought it was kind of neat.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I was at a big show today near me that had about 1000 vendors. Unlike a lot of shows I attended in the past there were a lot of good deals. I looked at several 308 AR varients starting at $700, and not the base models. Most of these rifles are listed online for sale at or above $1000. All the vendors were hungry for sales.

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

“Hungry for sales?” I wonder if all those new background checks on Black Friday were for hand guns. That seems a bit more than just a little surprising. Did you get any feel for why?

Are they trying to unload them while they still can, fearing that some of their inventory will soon be non-sellable?

Or – could all those background checks be bogus, and used by the libs to scare the non-gun owners into thinking their neighbors are going even crazier, so we’ve GOT to pass “legislation” NOW!?

We just had a fairly large show near here recently. Now I wish I’d gone (I just figured it was more of the high admission just to look at very few good deals, a lot of high prices, and a good bit of junk scattered around too). I wonder what’s up….

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint GeorgiaSaint.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.