Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • #50094

    Suffered a blow out the other day, a favorite pair of shoes suffered a separation.
    Sole and upper came apart. Half a tube of ShoeGoo later, they’re curing.
    Looks like a couple spare tubes of Goo are in order.

    Took an old Mauser and bedded it into a different stock, then sanded and thinned the stock to make a “walking around” rifle for Elk season coming up.
    The bore is dark but it still shoots decently.
    Really making me want to find an old 7×57 again and make a lighter version.
    But sanded and worked the stock down, put a thin recoil pad on the 8mm, and have been layering Tru-Oil thinly every day, will post a pic when done.
    Nothing special, just fun.

    Profile photo of Brulen

    Just another prep day. I bought a surefire wrist light for waking up in the middle of the night. Wearing it to bed at night I’ve always got a light handy. The angle of led as it comes off the wrist makes it useful as a shooting light or area light. No trouble for me sleeping with it on.
    The weather is nice, it’s Columbus Day coming and we havent had a hard freeze. Leaves falling but no nip of the winter to come. I’ve got a 8×57 sporterized Mauser given to me a gift. I’ve never used it. I like the bolt and stock both in excellent condition. It’s like an heirloom to me. Back when there was a huge deer population in ny they did a lot of conversions. The 40s and 50s. Way before my time. But that was when they would still take a 200 pound buck. Too many people here now.

    Profile photo of MountainBiker

    I finished taking all of the “stuff” in the garden down (posts, weed fabric etc). Taking up the weed fabric was tough given so much of it and a couple thousand 6″ staples. I still need to chop the residue up on my mower’s highest setting before I can start dumping leaves on it or have it rototilled. Right now the deer, bear and other critters are feasting on what was left in it when frost hit two nights in a row two weeks ago. Tonight and tomorrow look like frosts again.

    I also got my wood brought back up to about a 3 year supply going into the winter. About 4 cord is on my front porch and another 10 or so in my wood shed behind the garage. I rotate it faithfully so it is always the oldest wood being used first. I’ve got a dozen or so dead smaller elm trees to take down this autumn which I’ll throw in the pile. Small trees I do myself as well as any trimming but I leave big ones for others to cut, split & haul away for their own firewood. Too much work and potentially dangerous. Easier to pay $200 for a cord cut, split & delivered right next to the wood shed. Yesterday a handyman/contractor that I’ve got doing some work for me along a section of stone wall pointed out a large dead black cherry. He saw I had 3 other trees tagged for someone to take down this winter and figured I missed one. I was going to tag that one too but then saw it was boxed in between other trees I want to keep and a power line. It needs professionals with a lift to take it down in sections rather than dropping it. Not sure if I’ll hire someone to do it or leave it to eventually fall on its own and let the power company deal with it.

    The leaves are coming down and piling up fast. That’s always a huge chore given the size of my yard. I do it at the end of the season and then the lawn is still clean come Spring, so only once per year even if it takes me a few days to do it.

    I will shortly head on down to Oyster Bay, Long Island for the annual meeting of the Trustees for a historic family cemetery that I’m a Trustee of, and then back again tonight. Makes for a long day but it is a pleasant ride through the countryside until you get down near NYC. Hard to understand how people can live in all that crowding.

    • This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of MountainBiker MountainBiker.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.