Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

1. Never far from hard cover, always stay concealed, he who makes noise first usually dies first, or is a distraction.
    2. Sperm mentality only works for sperm, don’t be the first one through the door, send Jethro.
    3. Never skyline/crest a hill, it makes for easy head shots.
    4. Use bait, don’t run head strong into battle, follow Jethro and let him reveal your enemy positions and or ambushes.
    5. Get your opponent angry, mess with their heads, sometimes all it takes is firing for psychological effect, 100 rounds over your head might make you consider surrender or flush them out. A well timed insult will also do for pre occupying their minds.
    6. Make it a habit to check your corners, for some reason people love corners.
    7. A defilade position is what you want, an enfilade position is where you want the enemy, and where they want you, don’t go there.
    8. Fire and displace, staying to long in one spot will attract frags and artillery.
    9. Hard cover is a preferred placement for mines of the sneaky.
    10. If you hear air craft, that is your cue to hide and displace. Tho in real life you will probably never hear it coming.
    11. Check your six religiously. People love to be sneaky.
    12. People are pre dis-positioned to give up easily at the slightest set back, when often all they have to do is sit still and re evaluate their plan of action. We call this rage quit. It is an easy victory.
    13. Moral is contagious, a sense of your teams moral and the other teams moral is absolutely vital.
    14. Never assume your team mates are on the same page you are, expecting them to cover you because it is logical, is illogical.
    15. Never walk in front of a team mate. Beware the firing line.
    16. Beware of crossfire and ricochet. Sometimes its possible to cover an entire hallway by shooting at concrete walls, but the bullet path is unpredictable and extremely dangerous. It is also possible to fire around corners depending on the ammunition. I have no idea if this works in real life, its to dangerous to check in my opinion, but it is something to be aware of.
    17. You can never have enough ammo. I run out 90% of the time, and its very easy to burn through 120 rounds in the heat of the moment or a target rich environment. (paintball is fun).
    18. Beware of spys and defectors, sometimes they will sell you out by giving your position up, in hopes of getting a higher social rank in another group.
    19. If the guy in front of you gets shot… don’t go there…
    20. Trick your enemy into bleeding his clip and reloading.
    21. When approaching a corner, assume someone is aiming there already, looking around the corner for half a second, taking a mental picture and ducking back behind cover, will serve you better than standing there stationary paying attention to detail.
    22. Never let your guard down, just because you have a 100 foot cliff on your left and right flank, and 200 yards of wide open space behind you doesnt mean someone like me isn’t trying to figure out a way to capitalize on your error.
    23. Avoid all contact with organized groups or squads if you are stuck with randoms, they will mop you up. (happens all the time in FPS, and this happened to me in real life while playing paint ball with friends, we where challenged by a group of pros for the field. My team was wiped out, and as the last man standing I was mercy killed by the groups alpha as I unloaded on a three man team from my concealed position beside our flag. It happened in less than ten minutes. The hunters in our group where the second last to be painted. Boy did that alpha he have a nice gun, Im glad he didn’t shoot me when he stuck his pistol in the bunker. Just whispered mercy kill, and I was like, YEP! Good times, painted my step mother after flanking her when she had us pinned down in a bunker from a tree line. Great memory.

———–
    I was turned off by the idea of writing something like this because of the taboo towards FPS, and the ethical dilema. I picked the best non lethal from a list I had been muddling over.

All opinions welcome, but I ask that this topic is a non lethal discussion only.

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Real life:
    #16: bullet paths after striking walls and concrete are predictable. And follow the walls/pavement. Will post video later.

#5: Tactical swearing.

#2: the first through the door generally is fine, its #2 that takes the hit. OODA loop and reaction time.

#4: In Vietnam and Rhodesia it was fairly common to let the point men by, ambushing the main body of the group.

#15: depending on the op, single file on a path can be the most tactical, especially if you do not want the other side to know your numbers.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

thats what im talkin about. thank you for correcting m e. i wanna see that vid. lol. I have a lot of free time on my h ands any other free web literature or videos, send em my way please and thanks.

#15 or your worried about mine fields.

hey whirlibird, whats the verdict on zig zagging in real life when caught in the open? Ive never seen it used at all in any vid of combat footage, which leads me to believe it might not be a smart idea, but its a pretty common to see/hear from movies/forums.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

KOS , I zig zag going down a steep mountain. You need to move if possible often. Bullets like to hug the floor. Not always good to lay down flat during robberies in shopping centers. Otherwise keep your head down. Learn to leopard crawl without lifting your head. Leopard crawl on your back also important.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Not the video I was specifically looking for, but still worth watching.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

This may be it.

Not quite, still looking.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

ty whirlibird! still going throught he vids, will let you know when I am done.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

aha! thats why in black hawk down the delta team leader tells grimes to stay away from the wall.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Re: Zigzagging: Bushrat, back in the hippie days of his youth, used to hitchhike across country. Some very interesting experiences, one of which was being picked up by two young men. He was in the back seat of their car with his backpack, and realized the car was heading down a dirt road, not continuing down the highway. Red flag! Then the man in the passenger seat turned around, stuck a gun in Bushrat’s face, and demanded his money. Money? Why do you think I’m hitchhiking?
    The men discussed what they should do with him, one of the solutions being shooting him and dumping the body. Of course, Bushrat, who makes morbid jokes when in a near-death situation, told them it wasn’t really the best idea. Probably messy or something. The men decided to let him run across the dark field next to where they were parked and if he made it to the woods before they shot him, he could go free.
    Bless his heart, Bushrat made sure he had his backpack with him, and leaped from the car. Fell face down in a huge mud puddle, picked himself up to their raucous laughter, and zigzagged across the field in the dark. (He had seen it done in the movies.) He didn’t get shot. I don’t think they fired at him–actually think they were stoned, and so giddy with laughter they forgot all about shooting him.
    I guess this doesn’t validate zigzagging, but thought it might be of some interest….

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

Cool story. Id have probably done the same.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Repost:

GETTING OFF THE “X” – MANAGING THE “X”
    Managing The “X”

This is material that will help students understand how to manage the X, or more specifically, the spatial and angular relationship between you and your adversary(s). There are degrees, quite truly – continuums, in the area of distance (interval), space, and timing (initiative). How you manage the fight depends greatly on your position with regards to these continuums of interval and initiative.

For example, with regards to interval, the bad guy may be at arm’s length, or he may be 50 meters away. How you handle a man at phone booth distances will vary greatly from the same man with the same weapon at 50 meters. As well, space is a consideration. While it may not matter at 50 meters, having space to move and fight would be an asset for you if you face an attack at arm’s length. We know that “Getting Off The X” is an advantage at close range fights so being able to exploit the space to do so at close range would be a good thing. Finally, the issue of initiative must be examined. Where are you in the reaction cycle? Did you see it coming and prepare, or did you first notice the fight when you sipped your espresso?

So that leads us to an examination of how to Manage the X. The secret is to change your positioning in relation to the adversary’s attack. There are several ways to accomplish this, but at its foundation is the need to change the relationship between the line of attack and the intended target.

One possibility and a very common one in the world of gun people is Attacking From The X. Attacking from the X requires that your position on the initiative continuum allow for such a proactive and preemptive action. Where you are with regards to space available and distance to target does not affect the decision to attack as long as the proper weapons are used. One can launch a preemptive attack at 5 feet or at 500 feet. As well one can do the same if he was standing in the middle of a football field or in a phone booth. Conceptually it is the same and the only thing that would change with the varying distances and space variances would be the tools and techniques used. Attacking from the X is a very proactive concept that may be a stationary or moving attack.

Another possibility is Defending The X. Defending The X is the first reactive option, and probably the least desirable as it is the most tenuous. It involves holding your ground and fighting from your existing position, probably because you have no distance advantage (he is just outside of arm’s reach), no spatial advantage (you do not have the option of moving off his line of attack), and no initiative advantage (you are reactive, not having anticipated and prepared). While this is certainly an unenviable place to be, we cannot ignore the possibility of being there. If so, our first consideration, after the fight begins, will be to gain an advantage either in the spatial or interval areas.

Moving the X is one option that is rarely considered in the gun world, but always a first option in the world of martial arts. It differs from getting off the line of fire (getting off the x) mainly due to interval problems. Conceptually, it is most applicable inside arm’s reach where you can affect position by moving around an adversary, either by your own positional changes or by moving or redirecting his own attack. This in effect does the same thing as moving off the line of fire. Consider an attacker is coming in with a Folsom Prison stabbing attack. You pass the attack off to your right and now find yourself off his right shoulder…on his flank. You have vastly improved your positioning and moved the X off his attacking line. We see a great deal of this in the new class Zero To Five Feet – Pistol Gunfighting. This can be on any place along the initiative continuum, either proactive or reactive.

Finally we have Moving Off The X. The X of course is the intended target’s current position. By employing various movement methods, one can evade an adversary’s initial attack and counter him before he can recover. Generally a reactive concept, it is usually most applicable when the operator is in a poor position with regards to initiative, but has some distance available as well as some space available. And these do not need to be extreme as one can apply the get off the x concept in a hallway with the proper techniques.

By understanding these concepts, and organizing your training around them, the speed with which you are able to perceive the appropriate response and put it to use will be faster. And that will increase your chances of prevailing in the fight. __________________

Gabe Suarez

One Source Tactical
    Suarez International USA

Lateral movement decreases your chance of getting hit exponentially.
    Lateral movement combined with distance, even better.
    Just make sure to make it a random set of movements, so it’s not predictable like changing direction every ten steps.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

good stuff whirlibird, thank you for taking the time to do that. I am still homeworking everything youve put up in the last few days, you can keep em coming and rest assured that I will read it all and watch the videos.

I really like how you started out with footwork in your other post, Ive taken a few martial arts courses ( dancing classes…) and while i may not like the “he does this, you do that” crap they taught, the foot work and hold escape techniques where well worth the G’s I threw at it.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

KOS, And you can practice in your games to see how it works without dying. :)

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

74 believe it or not, just the basics of real life self defense improved my game dramatically over the years.

Just as a for instance, in most games the avatars are all right handed and cannot switch to a left handed stance, that means any time you shoot from the left of cover you are exposing half your body, shooting from the right of cover exposes remarkable little.

I learned that from an ex USA sniper while playing day z. Hes a really good guy :( last i talked to him he was half way through several back surgery’s from his last tour. Wasn’t shy at all about talking about his retreat location etc over the net, hope he is doing well.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Shooting right handed around barriers requires some positional changes but is generally better for most people than switching hands. Most can’t switch hands/sides and be effective to any level.

In the video’s I posted in another thread, Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch goes through a lot of different methods for cornering and such.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.