Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

I see alot of gear out there  can anyone recommend what they have had good success with. I know using a mixed thermal  is optimal for spotting  so can you send recommendations in 3 categories

Head/ helmet mounted

Targeting Scopes

Spotting scopes

Thanks for the input

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Wish I could help. It’s all so expensive I ended up just buying a monocular. Spending funds elsewhere. There are BTW Instructables on how to make your own for non-weapon uses, from parts from old video cams if you are mechanically/electrically/so inclined.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Know people that use night vision and heat sensor equipment with farm security and Anti Rhino poaching units in game reserves. Will ask their opinion and let you know.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Just remember that everything that uses a battery could be a problem finding batteries in a SHTF, also if there is a EMP these will not work.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

you can get  non charged batteries and i have all electronics stored in Faraday cages, basically a 12×12 room that is completely grounded.  i got a good deal from  a  Chinese  company called MOTOMA they make some high end long lasting rechargeable that come uncharged so  longer shelf life, bought them for a good price and a half a pallet worth of mixed  types with heavy emphasis on aa aaa along with the mixed renewable energy rechargers.

If you are going to buy  batteries  especially rechargeable ask about  mAh is how it is marked on the battery milli amp hours the larger the number the  longer they last in both charge and life

http://www.motoma.com

If that fails we have a  manual one lol we call it the tour de hell pedal till you drop.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

namelus, thanks for the link for the batteries. will look into it.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

namelus,

My experience is with the AN-PVS5 and the AN-PVS7 series night vision goggles. Also some dedicated NV weapon scopes.

NV will give you a decided tactical advantage at night, but your depth perception will be wonky until you learn to adapt. The 7’s are big-time expensive.

The rule of thumb is the higher the GEN, the higher the resolution and the sharper the image is/father you can see. If I were you, and I wanted to invest in NV equipment, I wouldn’t mess with anything less than GEN3 stuff. The way technology is advancing, if you don’t invest in something good, it will be obsolete fairly quickly. There’s GEN 3, GEN 3+ and GEN 4. Don’t even bother with GEN 4. You can’t afford it. And if you can, will you buy me one, too? :)

There are workarounds. You can get a sight like a NV-compatible sight from EO Tech with a magnifier, and then a good pair of NV goggles. Or, you could invest in a decent dayscope for your rifle and then purchase a NV add-on. These go on the end of the scope and turn your dayscope into a night vision scope. I hear they work fairly well. Downside is they’re pricey and heavy, bulky… but, they do the job. Size the unit decreases, the price increases…

I’ll try and find you a good source for NV stuff… one caveat – stay away from the cheap Russian NV equipment. They just increase the gain in their scopes to make them brighter, but the tradeoff is you burn out your intensifier tube quickly… not worth the headache.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Here.. go here and check out their wares… I’ve dealt with OpticsPlanet before. They’re good people.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/s/night-vision

I hear good things about ATN. They have pretty good NV scopes.

But make sure you read up on NV equipment before making a buy. I believe they have a section on the different GEN’s of night vision… .

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

Thx Malgus i will look into them

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.