Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 145 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Mean while in the US Obama wants to sell our oil reserves. It reminds me of a desperate person going to a pawn shop to sell the last valuable thing they own. But I suddenly realized why Obama has been placing more and more land under federal controls. So they can sell it. Greece has been selling national assets, I guess we aren’t far behind.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

74, the thought of the Feds selling land never occurred to me. Personally I think the Western States should be demanding that most of the land be turned over to them. The Feds can keep National Parks & Monuments and all of the military related property, but the rest belongs with the States.

Thanks Proteus for the updates. To me Greece is just further down the insolvency curve than most countries, and in that regard observing how they react to the situation is very informative.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

This is an old article but you can see how things go when desperation strikes.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2010/06/03/greece-to-sell-assets-to-help-pay-down-deficit/?_r=0

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Its about control , because we cant pay the debt no matter what we do .

Profile photo of Proteus 55
    Proteus 55
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Very true points, in fact selling assets is only a small part of the assumed solution because the current government is constantly failing to give incentives to investors, or to open up new jobs, or to tidy its own mess. We also have some revisionist politicians who are making ridiculous statements with regards to past events (like genocide taking part in minorities in Pontus, Asia Minor etc) despite well-attested and signed agreements between countries that verified this. Part of this foolishness is due to ignorance, but there are darker motives in play. They are taxing like mad, and at the same time pushing all the weaker elements of society to despair while boasting grandiose claims regarding the 7000 per day “refugees” being managed and processed, and other things like claiming that they will be able to pay their creditors in some mysterious way that most economists fail to see.

Two weeks ago, I visited one of the survival shops and witnessed first hand that large number of stock has run out. At first I thought, it’s due to the capital controls and the owners not being able to reorder (unless they do it at a loss). But the situation got more interesting when I noticed that nearly all their knives (a wide selection of kabar, cold steel, spyderco, fox, and some more exotic stuff) , paracord, and purifying tablets had been bought out during the last couple of months. Seems that many people had the same idea that such stuff would be needed, that large numbers went and bought nearly all the stock! As I was pondering on that, I also witnessed large numbers of clients almost crowding the shop assistants (I was sure that one of them was about to have a panic attack from the stress) and buying stuff all the time. Some requests were more “innocent” like concealed arms pouch, security belts, matterhorn and danner army boots but others seemed even more focused. I think that something is telling a lot of people that the S could HTF fairly soon, as in few months time. By 2016 spring time, we’ll see if they were right – although I’m hoping that it’s a false alarm.

Proteus 55
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Hello again and here’s another update. So far not much has happened aside from the massive influx of refugees and the government failing to convince people anymore by not keeping any of its promises. I’m sure you have all heard about the people entering in groups of hundreds ; it’s sad to see how many of them get drowned in the cold waters as these boats are a horrible mess – almost every week several die as a result of the boats being in that poor condition. In any case, it’s impossible to keep them satisfied by shipping them elsewhere because nobody wants them anymore, and so they get trapped in Greece…their number increases and there are serious concerns about disease, safety etc. Few cases of attacking local people but mostly fights are among each other. Many people are worried about what they will do once the money will run out. On the other hand, there seems to be some funding by the EU to set up hotspots and places for them, but it is unclear if these funds are sufficient for the sheer numbers.
    With regards to coastguard, the EU wanted to bolster borders at the sea with Frontex and as I understand they were operating on a couple of places but today they vacated a place offered to them on an island due to asbestos concerns. The tendency here is of mild mistrust as the Frontex are not widely accepted in the minds of the locals but on the other hand, besides some grumbling I wouldn’t expect much opposition since the Greek coastguard don’t seem to be enough to cover such expanse with this particular level of risk.
    The prime minister seems to think that he has 3 more years to rule, but there’s a huge distrust in him according to some polls that quote over 80% of dissatisfaction with the way he’s running things. Some expect a change of government (elections etc) by summer, others by the end of spring. Unemployment is, of course, not lessened and very little has been done to bolster the economy apart from taxing the weaker ones and cutting down costs without exercising much caution. This might create a domino effect during the first half of 2016.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Glad to hear from you , and that you are still around .

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks for the update! Always good to get reports directly ‘from the ground’…

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Thanks for the update, though sorry to hear of the ongoing deterioration. No country can take in unlimited numbers of refugees, especially in places like Greece with severe economic problems of their own. I think Greece and elsewhere are about at the point that people will be turned back and forcibly ejected no matter the cries of those comfortably far away who don’t have to live the reality on the ground.

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Ditto the others – good to know you’re still around, though sorry the update can’t be any more positive. I hope you and those you’re close to have a very merry Christmas, and that 2016 brings you good health, protection, and a deep sense of peace despite the chaos all around. (And the same to everyone else here as well!)

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Proteus 55
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Thank you Tolik, Toby C, MountainBiker and GS, good to hear from you too my friends. Keeping everyone in my prayers and hope that you all have a merry Christmas and all the very best for 2016, including good health and safety and all that you wish.
    Keeping low and staying safe. Surprising how little of the news is broadcasted on national TV. Several “interesting” news are filtered out, including much of what’s going on in Syria and nearby places. They allow all stories regarding the refugees etc which might elicit an emotional response as there’s a specific agenda to be more lenient towards islamic refugees (if people complain, they are easily called racist..) With regards to news, there’s a definite grey filter in place but it’s not well-organised by the state, so stuff leaks out. Obviously there’s a huge amount of nonsensical info and “news” about social stuff, sports, arts etc as well as the fight for leadership in the ND party that seems to drag for months…so anything that’s not particularly harmful to the official side of things is allowed and giving a front of openness at the same time. All kinds of things that oppose this view tend to be ridiculed or lessened. As long as the focus is turned away from key issues, the government is happy. Financially the country is in a worse state than ever, and yet they have managed to convince people to go on a spending spree this Christmas with their last remainders of their money. So some say, “well, it can’t be that bad if they are willing to spend on festivities, right?” Wrong. During many crises in various countries (but especially Greece, when things tend to be dramatic, people act like carefree. It’s the way Greek psychology often works, as if to defy reality – and that’s precisely the sentiment that extreme parties tend to capitalize upon in order to bolster their numbers (and this is happening due to lack of cohesion in the political centre).
    Regardless of the seeming tranquility, people are extremely stressed and suicides have peaked, passing the 10K mark of early 2015 (media under-report it but police figures and hospital manager confirms it). I think due to the insecurity many feel, that I have noticed eye-movements being more watchful, checking their surroundings better and being more cautious. The combination of lack of credibility on the government’s side and the increasing financial strains on the people creates a dangerous mix, and when coupled with the large numbers entering the country as refugees but no longer leaving, it could create the final straw. There’s only so much that people will tolerate after all, and it has all the potential to turn ugly.

GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Hah! The spending spree sounds like what our government did here just before the holidays too. As for the suicides, that’s really tragic – and telling. That’s a sure indicator of the hopelessness felt by so many. So very sad. I don’t know what general suicide rates are like in the US (used to because it was important to my profession – but stopped following that upon retirement). But the military veteran suicide rate has been running over 20 per day! That’s pushing the 10K rate JUST for that tiny percentage of our overall population (only about 1-2% ever serve in the military in the US).

“Potential to turn ugly?” Certainly. And that, after all, is why the SHTF site was created (thanks, Selco).

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Proteus ,
    Americans are also on spending sprees for christmas even though our economy is going to the toilet , with many of the same government things that you describe . However , there are some of us that started spending freely for other reasons , popular choices this year are knives , firearms , ammunition , field gear , and non perishable food items . I would bet that there are a few Greeks with similar attitudes this year . I wish you well my friend , and keep us posted when you can , we are all interested and need to hear what is really going on .

GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

I just saw this video on the SHTF Facebook site. Anyone know who the masked men are? Greeks or Muslim invaders demanding their “rights?” I hope Proteus is still “on board” with us and is OK. This looks like if anything has changed, it’s for the worse – certainly not better.

https://video-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xtp1/v/t43.1792-2/12630260_1086717568015236_997008006_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjE4NzUsInJsYSI6MTY4MCwidmVuY29kZV90YWciOiJzdmVfaGQifQ%3D%3D&rl=1875&vabr=1250&oh=ebcbfa662b43c5a4859eec83c954decf&oe=56BA853F

GS

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

GS,
    The attached caption says they are protesting pension cuts. Presumably they are public employees of some nature.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 145 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.