Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 145 total)
  • Author
    Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I wish them well , there really was no choice if you look at it , sovereignty and the ability to guide your own destiny , or slavery under the boot of Communism known as the EU .

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

It appears that the birthplace of democracy is showing the way again. The journey ahead will be painful, but to stop kicking the can down the road may be the best thing in the long run.

I am sure Spain is watching this very closely. The same for Italy. Larger economies, but still teetering on the edge.

Then there is Mr. Putin. Will he step in to save a leftist government and increase his influence in Europe? That will drive the other European nations up the wall.

We certainly live in interesting times.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Well, if Putin is serious about rebuilding the Black Sea Fleet having a friend at the mouth of the Black Sea sure would help.
    Robin

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

If Putin does help them , it is what it is , the EU is definitely not looking out for their best interest , and would have the Greek people little better than serfs . If you look at it one way , Putin has no more strings attached than any offer the US makes . From a long term economic standpoint , the pipeline deal they made with Russia , and other help they can get until they can get back on their feet , is a reasonable direction . Especially if the EU starts to fold like a house of cards , then Russia may actually be the more stable of the two , at least in the shorter term . When they get back on their feet , they will have more options . Spain and/or Italy could put the EU in a severe crisis . Just Sayin.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Is it just me, or is the crisis in Greece sound only too familiar? At least the events/political corruption/longterm situations leading up to it? Wake up, people…it’s not that far from our own doorstep.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Wildartist,
    The hole we have dug for ourselves is so much deeper as well.

bushrat
    bushrat
    Survivalist
    member4

Indeed! However I am still eager to hear any suggestions from anyone as to how a civilian could defend his or her life when facing elite units. Would you try to speak reason? Surrender? Fight back? (and with what?) Would these guys be open to reason or explanation that it’s a misunderstanding or whatever? I understand that the obvious thing to do would be RUN. Or hide. But since these people would be elite units, for the sake of argument, let’s assume that running or hiding would be out of the question. How would you handle such a dire situation if it was forced on you?

These are difficult questions you ask. Primarily because you almost have to take it day by day, issue by issue. There are many here ready to take up arms and fire on government troops or police, while others want to take a “wait and see” attitude. In my opinion, as long as you haven’t done anything, yet, to put yourself or your family in the sights of the government, then It might be prudent initially to avoid any protests or other situations that have the potential to become violent. Focus on protecting your immediate family and maybe some close friends. If you haven’t yet, start stockpiling any resources you possibly can, although it sounds like it may be too late at this point. Just do what you can.

There may come a time where you have no choice but to fight. Maybe the government is declaring Martial Law with the intention of becoming a dictatorship and violating your God-given rights. Whatever the “trigger” is that forces you to fight, You might initially consider guerrilla warfare, you know, hit and run. But regardless, if you don’t have people you can trust it’s all a moot point.

As far as weapons, almost anything can used as a weapon. Kitchen knives, baseball bats, hatchets, machetes, cut down tree branches into spears, etc. Use your imagination. And then practice with your chosen weapon. And finally, so everything you can to increase your physical conditioning, especially cardiovascular.

Profile photo of Proteus 55
    Proteus 55
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Thank you everyone for the excellent replies that are very thought-provoking. The situation is still volatile despite of how it appears right now. For example, the people seem apprehensive and in doubt as to the assurances that a viable solution will be found by the end of the week. It’s more like, wait and see. In the mean time, bank ATMs still dish out 60 euro (or 50 in some cases) while some of those machines are no longer working, which means that pensioners, disabled or other people with special needs have trouble accessing funds. Supposedly some measures will be taken so as to allow the pensioners to draw part of their pension, but even so, there are huge problems with import and export companies; several companies will be forced to close if no solution is found asap. Even the greek fleet (merchant navy) might consider to switch to flags of other countries (to be based elsewhere) if pressurized to pay extravagant sums to support the state. In any case, the ordinary person continues to stock up supplies like mad for the last few days, and there are no visible signs that this situation will be resolved anytime soon, despite what the politicians say. We have to see it to believe it, as the saying goes.

Bushrat, thanks for the excellent advice. It makes sense and seems reasonable under the circumstances to be watchful and not to expose oneself to too many risks; prudence and preparedness is the key. Many people try to accommodate to the new reality but it’s not easy. Besides, they lack funds to prep properly and most of all, like you say, it’s almost too late to gather significant number of provisions in the last moment. But it’s not late to learn to think in the right way. Appreciate the advice. We have to remain positive and focused.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Proteus, do you have family or others in the country you can “visit?”
    Robin

Proteus 55
    Survivalist
    rprepper

There is a small number of people I can trust, yes. If SHTF I can relocate to their places. I have been making preparations in case such a thing needs to happen within a few minutes or so.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Trust your gut. If things seem iffy then go. Keep a “Bug Out Bag” in your vehicle or close.
    Robin

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Like others I would suggest a low profile for the time being. Avoid any protests, and be ready to move quickly.

Would you be able to cross the border easily if the EU forces Greece out? Timing may be everything.

Will keep you in our prayers. Keep alert and keep safe.

Proteus 55
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Thank you my friends. I will do as advised. Right now I do not have a renewed passport, but in any case, I have people to protect if SHTF. They look out for me, I look out for them. It is not feasible to exit the country at this period as the rather limited finances would not be enough to settle to another country without having set prior contacts; so the focus has been to plan and to defend right here. If the worst comes to happen, we’ll have to face it together.

Stay safe. I will do my best to inform you of all the latest news here. I hope that there won’t be any interruptions on the internet and/or electricity, although nothing can be certain during any serious transition period. Supposedly there won’t be an issue, but in any case I will try to keep in touch and let you all know how it happens.

Proteus 55
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Another update. As you might have seen, during the last few days there have been difficult moments for various politicians in Greece having to either remain hard-liners or to accept a more middle-ground approach. The ordinary people are still stressed and there have been numerous incidents of people rushing to buy electronics, devices or other utility things in order to “translate” their money into goods and so avoid what would happen during a bail-in, where their own bank savings and other accounts could suffer haircut of 30%. Apart from that, and with the ominous countdown to Monday when supposedly most ATMs would have run out, there is considerable agitation in parliament. Last night in what appeared to many people as the prime minister’s most shocking U-Turn, the proposal sent to the Eurogroup was 80% the same as Juncker’s a few months ago, which begs the question, if the plan was negotiate and accept such dire terms, why did they ask for a referendum? Also, since over 61% of the population voted No in support of the government resisting such austerity measures, how come and within less than two weeks, it suddenly becomes a Yes by the government? There are doubts and mistrust among several of the cabinet and other members of the coalition government as 17 of those didn’t vote to support the government while others simply remained silent or declared “present” without voting for or against. This poses difficult dilemmas for the prime minister who faces the possibility of losing support by his own people to the point that it is possible that he declares elections after the whole deal with the Eurogroup is arranged with success. Of course, there are several members in Europe who still doubt that such a deal could indeed be accomplished with the present government of Greece, like Schäuble. It is still uncertain if a deal will be made, and many things are not certain, not even if the meeting of the 28 European countries tomorrow takes place or not. So this weekend will be crucial for Greece on many aspects.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Proteus 55 ,
    From an outsiders view looking in , he needs to man up and be like Putin . Greece is in a dire situation . When the USSR collapsed , they had Yeltsen , he was a drunk and over his head , Putin was the one that actually cleaned up the mess . That is an enormous undertaking to reconstruct an entire nation in a diametrically opposite direction from what it was before . Few leaders are up for the challenge , like him or hate him , you do have to respect that accomplishment . Your PM needs to be that for Greece , be a man , and drop out of the EU for the good of the people and the nation . Like I said , few people are capable of that kind of challenge , he may not be , in that case , get rid of him BEFORE any agreements are negotiated .

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 145 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.