Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I decided to start this thread for helping newbies organize their gear . Those still on here , have been at this for awhile . If we have ideas about the basics to share , and there is enough content added by us here . I plan to send a link to this thread to rethinksurvival.com . The owner of the site is a good guy , and it might help others , and spark interest in this site . I’ll go first
    This is one of my standard fire kits . I have several of these in different places , such as the truck , all my packs , etc . As you can see , I used my vacuum sealer to keep it dry and compact . The things in it are what works well for me . You will notice that the ferro rod is a big boy , about 6″ x 1/2″ . I prefer this size , as I can really shoot out the sparks . The cord is not paracord , but rather elastic cord , similar to what is on some ammo pouches , this makes sure I always have fluid movement . I have a pocket version that I call FIRE – R , or fire kit rudimentary . It consists of a ferro rod , small bag magnesium shavings , 2 wetfire tenders , 2 books paper matches . Again vacuum sealed . That is for putting into my jacket pocket and other clothing pockets .

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

What I have done in the past for people who haven’t ever given much thought to it is to tell them they have to address 4 items: Heat (for us Northerners at least), water, food, and security. As basic as that may sound, thinking in those terms will be new for many.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

MB, you may need to break it down even finer. All the way down to why.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Whirli, you gave me a chuckle, but yes there are some who you’d have to also tell why to, at least as concerns the heat and security aspects. While we’re in the summer months there are some that can’t think it through that in a couple months its going to start getting cold again. Sure you can burn wood if you have a fireplace or wood stove, but if you don’t have a couple cords to get you at least started, do you really want to have to figure out how to cut and split those trees in your yard and have you ever burned green wood like that? Do you even have the tools to cut and split wood? Yeah there’s a stream or pond nearby but what’s going to happen when you drink and cook with that unfiltered water? Those are the kinds of questions I have posed when trying to help someone think through this stuff.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Teepee, running mountain stream, old dead standing trees in woods and a big dog st bernard or akita. Squaw essential. Axe traps and flint steel. A 40 pound bow and lots of arrows.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

By the way … Ive heard akitas dont bark. But they do communicate. Dogs are never the ultimate security system but they are very good. Pit traps with punji stakes also work.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.