Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

… accept a job where they refuse to tell you what shift you’ll be on. ‘We don’t know yet…’

They know DAMN well that you’re getting thrown to the 12 hour night shift from hell. They just know you’ll jump ship as soon as you find out. This is what has happened to me, and its pure hell. Joints always hurting, always cranky, sleep away my whole day on days off, always ‘waiting to go back.’ Can never really relax, and only get to see my significant other 2 weekends per month.

I intend to leave as soon as possible, but that might be a while unfortunately. Always force them by claiming you have a competing offer or something to find out the details you need. Huge mistake by me, a mistake I will never repeat.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Sounds a bit like taking a job but not knowing how much they pay. Any time you want something bad and you need it now your likely to get screwed overlooking important details. Something to remember as we go forward, it’s not fun to give a lot, to get a little.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

WK,

A bit of perspective, perhaps… I know you’re pretty angry right now, and my intention is not to inflame you further…

In the 90’s, I was selected to be a PSD goon… a protective services type. We protected someone fairly high up the food chain. The mission sucked. In at 5am (meaning you got up at 3:30 am), out at… well, whenever the day was over with and The Boss was down for the night. Most times, I was averaging 3 to 4 hours of sleep a night. My then-new wife and I called it “The Post-it Note Romance”. I would come home, find a post-it on the door: “Dinner in the oven. Went to bed. I love you.” Catch 3 hours of sleep or so, and on the way out the door I would put up my own post-it note. “Thanks for dinner. Miss you. Love, Me.” This went on for… well, I was there from 96 through 2000… It didn’t always suck, but it mostly sucked. I find it astounding we still had time to make a child…

The second thing is, in this economy, just having a job – even a sucky one – is a lucky break. You might not think so – hurtin’, dragging ass, given the **** jobs, etc.. but perhaps this is just a gut check? If you can excel given the worst possible circumstances, then you might be promoted faster or moved to a better shift faster…

But, you have to do what is in the best interest of you and your family. If you absolutely hate it and see no way out, don’t let me hold you back… jump ship and better deal yourself at the first possible opportunity…

Good luck to you.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Buddy of mine took a job in Afghanistan. 7 figure job for one year. He did it two years in a row and now is at home playing with the kids for a few years.

White Knight – Use one of those copper compression style joint wraps. Works for my daughter.

Robin

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

WhiteKnight, keep the job for now, I have so many friends in jobs that suck right now. Just take it but keep looking for a better job. My wife’s brother is an Electrical Engineer was making $70,000, lost his job three years ago and now is working as an administrator in the University making $35,000. He is for the last year telling me how much it sucks, how bad the job is and how much more he has to work for 50% of the money he was paid before.

I tell him keep looking for a better job, he is still looking. There are not many jobs out there that pay what jobs were paying before.

Profile photo of etxgranny
    etxgranny
    Survivalist
    member2

I do understand sucky jobs after a divorce I was a single mother and had two children to support. I worked for a company that valued senority so I only had to work that job for 4 months before I was given a better job. hang in there WhiteKnight I am pulling for you.

Profile photo of Pheonix
    Pheonix
    Survivalist
    member5

In my experience I have found that there are only two jobs that suck.

1. The job you just quit because it sucked.
    2. The job you have right now that sucks.

The “next job” is always the one that is not going to suck.
    Very soon the “next job” will be number 2 above.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I would add that even if you think your job sucks, be careful not to convey that sentiment via word, action, or body language. If an employer knows you are unhappy with the job you may find yourself expendable. In an economy where getting a new job quickly is not guaranteed, it is always best to look at the bright side that at least you have a job. There are plenty who would be willing to trade places with you. Employers will only tolerate so much negative attitude from unhappy employees.

Profile photo of Pheonix
    Pheonix
    Survivalist
    member5

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>MountainBiker wrote:</div>I would add that even if you think your job sucks, be careful not to convey that sentiment via word, action, or body language. If an employer knows you are unhappy with the job you may find yourself expendable. In an economy where getting a new job quickly is not guaranteed, it is always best to look at the bright side that at least you have a job. There are plenty who would be willing to trade places with you. Employers will only tolerate so much negative attitude from unhappy employees.

You are correct. Even when the employer and the corporate culture is the root cause of the negativity they do not want to hear it from you. I learned long ago to always be happy when it counts.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

A career is a job you had to long.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Job = Just Over Broke

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

The only thing that makes a job a little better is if the pay is higher then the last job.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Well thanks for the encouragement/kick in the pants, folks. I will of course be sucking it up while I’m there. However the prospect that I would be on this shift for no less than a decade barring something highly unusual, I’m looking for the door.

You see, it’s a union shop, so no amount of hard work or good attitude will do anything. Seniority only. Meaning I will not see the light of a day shift for approx. a decade, one of my co-workers explained it to me (who is next in line for a day spot, etc, etc).

Just pissed that I was snookered. I hate dishonesty, and they were most definitely dishonest with me.

Profile photo of Pheonix
    Pheonix
    Survivalist
    member5

Had a similar experience in a factory several years ago. When I found a new job I clocked out for lunch and went back to turn in my badge the following week to the Plant Manager and thank her for being the only member of management that had ever treated me like a person.

I quit a job once to work for another company that offered me more money. I simply went to the new job the next day. When I went back the boss demanded to know why I had not given him any notice I was quitting. I asked him if he had noticed I was gone, because that was the only notice he was getting.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

In a job that sucked I knew a couple of things:
    Sitting at a table were 4 people. I was the bottom. I knew if I ran over person 1 and drove person 2 out of the state then in 20 years I could move up.
    I moved out!
    Robin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.