Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I was just sitting on my porch reading a book and observed an incident that gave me pause to think that post-SHTF our neighbors really are our neighbors for good or bad. Some yahoo with a hopped up Jeep goes tearing up the road and a few minutes later is coming back down. One of my neighbors, a guy in his 20’s stops him to tell him to slow down on this road. The discussion got a bit loud and I can hear the f word flying from several hundred feet away even though I couldn’t see them. The 50ish guy across the road (the 4th neighbor I describe below) hears the same argument and he walks out to the road and then also stops the jeep after the 1st encounter was over. Their discussion was quieter but firm in the “slow down on this road, there are little kids” message, and the guy left quietly. Not relevant to the topic but this is a dirt road with blind spots and is barely wide enough for two way traffic. One car usually has to slow down and pull over to let another pass in the other direction which is why folks don’t like speeders.

I use the term hamlet to describe where I live. Perhaps a couple hundred people identify as living in this hamlet. I have only 4 immediate neighbors, 3 across the road and one on one side. We are friends with 3 of the 4 and I’d be very comfortable working cooperatively with them in a post-SHTF scenario. What I realized just now is that we all have no choice but to find a way to also work with our 4th neighbor if we find ourselves more or less isolated here post-SHTF. Most of you will understand the descriptive “white trash”. We all thought they’d be gone soon but just learned this week that they aren’t going anywhere. They don’t interact with any of us at present and that works fine but post-SHTF, that really isn’t going to be an option. The husband is probably OK (but blind to the realities of his family). The wife is a schemer, had embezzled from a former employer, and orchestrated stealing the entire estate of the elderly woman she is caretaker for, including the house itself we just learned which is why we now know they aren’t going anywhere. The 20’s something son appears to be a unemployed druggie loser. The 20’s something daughter is a welfare queen having babies she can’t support.

I’d appreciate any help in thinking this situation through.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MB,
    Post shtf you’re going your test your resolve in a very short period of time. By necessity you will be required to evict them and remove the structure or acquiesce your preps.

edit: Buying the property and leasing the property to more desirable occupants comes to mind. Convincing them to sell could be a challenge.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

MB,

We’re much in the same situation…

My son calls our little area here “The Shire” – because that’s what it looks like.

Most folks are hardworking, easy going folks. Except the people who have the property adjacent to ours. They literally have 9 vehicles in various stages of dis-assembly on their property. One of which I cannot see anymore because the weeds and grass have overgrown it. They used to have cattle, but then all the cattle disappeared. Couple days later, they buy yet another car… A week later, the guy starts coming home with piles and piles of loading skids. After a couple days, I notice he’s arranging them in some sort of wall… I asked what he was up to with the Great Wall of Loading Skids he was working on…

His answer: “Pigs”.

Great. The man’s got every right to run pigs on his own land, but they’re tough on fences and, since I’m the one who sprang for the fence that borders his property ( I paid for it because he pleaded poverty on the matter. So he gets free use of it without having paid for it) – that any damages his pigs do to my fence I expect him to pay for… work on the Great Wall of Loading Skids has since stopped.

I’ve often fantasized about buying them out and then bulldozing everything. Contract a wrecker and have them drag all those automobile and truck carcasses off to the junk heap. I doubt that I will have enough financial leverage to buy him out, which means when SHTF, we’re going to have to figure out how to work together. He doesn’t strike me as a bad sort.. just weird.. and not too bright…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Five gallons of gas and a road flare should cure what ails you both.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

No doubt many of have similar situations, I know I do. My immediate neighbor has a personality disorder. I think he will self destruct post shtf.

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

we don’t(or should I say didn’t) have bad neighbours, most I can get on with and 1or 2 are just ignored, but just after Christmas we had a new family move in, the dad(he dosent live there but is there most days) and the daughter are known alcoholics and drug users from a slightly bigger town 10 miles away, there was the daughters partner but he seems to have moved on and just comes back to visit his son who is about 6 and runs around the back yard stark naked all day 10-12 hours a day.i did have a word with the landlord(housing association) and they have quietened down a bit. I’m just wondering how I tackle them post SHTF as I don’t see them doing any work for the community, hell none of them work now, they are all on welfare.

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

What do all of these people have in common? It appears to me a total lack of discipline. I’m sure you all are quietly observing what is going on with these people. Those observations will come in handy Post-SHTF. Is there any concern regarding firearms, etc? It sounds like some of these may be the first ones on the FEMA bus to get their free food.

MB: The scheming wife sounds like the most dangerous. If she is like one that I know, she knows the welfare system inside and out, and would sell out anyone if it could get her want she wants. I’m always polite when interacting and deflect her questions about our personal business. I keep OPSEC very tight, but she always seems to know what everyone is doing and is always wanting to know what something costs.

Post-SHTF perhaps the solution is: “Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.”

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Anyone taking The King’s Shilling is automatically suspect – they can be leveraged. Food is a weapon, same as any other. It might even be the <i>original</i> weapon as far as I know…

The neighbors I spoke of, they’re not “bad” people… they just do things different than others. Nothing wrong with that. But I’m thinking they do tend to make poor decisions – investing in 9 vehicles that don’t run and are completely different makes, models, years, for example. Poor decision making needs to be accounted for, but like I said, they’re not “bad”.

I know of one family. The dad is a decent sort who made a good reputation for himself by square-dealing and a solid work ethic. His spawn? Not so much. Pill heads, thieves and ripoff artists. “Dad” is in denial about his kids. Those pukes, I watch out for. I feel sorry for the Dad…

Usually in small communities, everyone knows who the bad eggs are. I think the problem of “bad eggs” will solve itself come SHTF… one way or the other…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Of my two neighbors one has had double bypass a month ago and the other hobbles around like hes got bad hips and arthritis. The one i ignore and the other with the heart problem we try to help occasionally. He’s been changing his diet so often his wife gives us old food. There is no more fat in his menu. He’s on a big time lose weight plan, or else. The ignored one has his place up for sale. No info on why except it will probably be permanent retirement from working the B&B thing he has going. I can’t imagine anyone will buy it for the price he’s asking. Too much stress dealing with tourists and finances, not to mention the zoning planning codes issues. We’ve lived here the longest and watched dozens of people come and go. The place is becoming so much like an old folks home it scares us at times. Maybe it is only the demented who want to live here with the crazy politics and laws. Almost time for us to cash out. Not quite yet but soon, real soon. No love for ny under cuomo and the downstate blackocracy.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Sounds like we’re not alone in the problem neighbors department. Better to know the score than not I suppose. Roadracer, you are right, the scheming manipulative wife is the dangerous one. On several fronts that I can think of she could also prove to be their demise before we even get to a SHTF period. Assuming that doesn’t happen however, the fact that they are the odd ones out vs us other 4 neighbors will put the onus on them to behave and be cooperative post-SHTF. They’re armed but so aren’t the rest of us. As I said I think the father is probably OK and so that’ll have to be the way we approach this. He seems to want to interact with us now and will wave if by himself but not if the wife is with him. Part of her modus operandi has been to stay apart so as to keep the old woman isolated. They don’t have to become our friends post-SHTF, but mutual cooperation and support will prove essential for any neighborhood to function.

Brulen, the Bed & Breakfast thing caught my attention. My guess is that the tourists that come to your area are pretty much all coming from the Metro NYC area and come SHTF when those same folks realize they need to leave the city/suburbs that they are going to head to the places where they vacation. Whether your neighbor is accepting guests or not at that point, some folks from Metro NYC may well be showing up expecting to find refuge there. I doubt they will be coming prepared to take care of themselves. This is why when we were looking for property I did not look in any of the ski resort or lake communities nor what we call the gold towns that have large numbers of out-of-stater second homes. Let’s home the B&B does fade away.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MB,
    Post shtf your problem neighbors will want your food. I doubt the druggie son or the wife will be willing to work in exchange for food. The father is influenced and controlled by the wife don’t expect anything good to happen with him. He’s gone along with her already on everything else. When they run out of meat from lack of success hunting, they will come begging or they will be stealing from your garden. At that moment when you catch them, you will be forced to decide what action to take.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Difficult decisions await us all post-SHTF. To the extent we can acknowledge that the better we will be able to make the emotional adjustment. I’m one of those folks that can get along with just about anybody, I think on account I instinctively look for common ground so as make a connection. There are people that I just don’t like that I try to steer clear of but to the extent I can’t ignore them, I usually find a way to at least maintain civil discourse. Sometimes diplomacy can go a long way. I will try to get my little neighborhood working together and will do what I have to do with those that choose not to. One of the sad parts about the current situation is that the old woman, though fragile of body, has knowledge that might benefit us all. She is the youngest of 21 children (those French Canadians were a prolific lot) and when she was a young mother she grew and preserved much of her family’s food. No matter what level of cooperation there might be from that white trash family however, the rest of the neighbors will have to maintain opsec as concerns them. The wife isn’t going to suddenly become trustworthy

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MB,
    You’re a smart person I’m certain you’ll arrive at a workable solution.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

I would rather be surrounded by tourists than the back roads bums and city trash i see around here. Tourists are usually unarmed and in a difficult situation are more patient. Just a better class of people generally. There is prejudice here though. The most intense prejudice has come from our own relatives in the area. We’re better off financially and they resent it.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Brulen, I’ll agree that tourists tend to be a better class of people than the kinds of back road bums we’re talking about but if they arrive next door utterly unprepared and most likely unskilled in anything useful, they will just add to everything else you are dealing with. That most tourists are unarmed is a mixed bag. It is good in that it reduces the initial threat they represent, but then they’re not going to be of much use in helping provide neighborhood security either.

I think you’ve mentioned the relatives before. No easy answers there so long as you all live in the same area. Hopefully they at least have some useful skills. Come SHTF, who had more money will be less important than it is now.

As I mentally process this white trash neighbor situation, that they are across the road from me is not good, but if they are going to be problematic for us, their immediate neighbors, they are going to be problematic for the entire hamlet. In the absence of modern law enforcement, the hamlet as a whole will decide how to handle them and any other problematic residents in a post-SHTF version of Town Meeting. Part of our Puritan heritage is succinctly summarized as “personal accountability, community responsibility”.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.