Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dtrammel
    dtrammel
    Survivalist
    rprepper

I thought I’d ask for some suggestion on a possible concealed carry. I’ll be getting my Missouri CCW permit this coming year.

Now some background. First I’m not in any situation where its dangerous, so I’m not looking for something semi military or high threat environment. A high magazine capacity isn’t needed. I figure at best I might need it for personal protection while traveling or being a bystander in a crime. So defensive rather than offense.

I’m partial to 9mm since my other current firearm is in that caliber but not restricted to that. I’m older (at 57) which means my eyesight has degraded a bit so I’m leaning towards a pistol that I can attach a laser site to and aim downrange.

It should be light enough for everyday carry. Price wise I can afford quite a bit, I’d rather spend a few more dollars to get the capacity I want than try to save on price.

Suggestion anyone?

Profile photo of Vep
    Vep
    Survivalist
    member4

People that are new to CCW tend to over carry. After a while, carrying too much stuff gets bothersome, and after a while you start looking for smaller, lighter options.

The average number of rounds fired in a civilian self defense incident is 2 rounds. In real world shootings with modern ammo, there really isn’t that much end result difference between 9mm, .40S&W, and .45ACP. I can show the numbers if anyone is curious. Shot placement counts more than anything.

You need a small weapon, because after a while that is all you want to carry. I tend to use an inside the waistband holster, which for a very hot climate is one of your better choices. My personal preference for something I’m going to be wearing concealed in an IWB holster is for something with a positive, manual safety. Unfortunately, that narrows your choices down quite a bit nowadays. If cost isn’t too much of an issue, look at the S&W M&P Shield, or the Sig P938 for a couple of choices to get you rolling. Much smaller than that you are looking at guns like the Ruger LCP.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

I agree that new to CCW tend to over carry. I personally carry a NAA in .22 mag about 99% of the time. The rest of the time I carry an M&P Shield in 9mm.

What I feel is as such: It is better to carry a small and easy to carry pistol that you will actually take with you rather than a nice, high powered one that you don’t like to carry due to size/weight. Thus, I carry the NAA mini revolver so much.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Agree with Vep. The S&W M&P Shield makes an excellent carry weapon. I looked at the Ruger LCP, but found it too small for my hands. Keeping with 9MM makes sense to me. My wife and I have standardized on that, so we have a common caliber for our handguns.

Another thought is a small revolver in .38 Special. I have one with a short barrel and find it an easy carry weapon when not carrying the 9MM.

Hope it helps. the main thing is to have a weapon that you are comfortable shooting.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>sledjockey wrote:</div>I agree that new to CCW tend to over carry. I personally carry a NAA in .22 mag about 99% of the time. The rest of the time I carry an M&P Shield in 9mm.

What I feel is as such: It is better to carry a small and easy to carry pistol that you will actually take with you rather than a nice, high powered one that you don’t like to carry due to size/weight. Thus, I carry the NAA mini revolver so much.

The Beretta Tomcat inox is a great little gun to carry. 10 round mags are also available.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I carry a small .380 6 round mag and carry an extra mag with me. weight is so little that I forget I have it on me.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

http://www.best9mm.com/compact9mm.html

http://www.concealedcarryalmanac.com/the-battle-of-the-slim-9mm-carry-guns/

My input for you is to go with a single stack 9mm. Personally I don’t care for shortened handles on a lot of small guns, and prefer a full size grip so I can aim well. Grabbing a gun with 3 fingers just doesn’t give a person the stability in the hand required for good aim. A few 9mm’s have compact models with a grip extender. Ruger SR9C being one of them. The grip according to the gun writers is very ergonomic. Big thing here is to go shoot a bunch of the guns you think you might want. This summer I shot about 6 different modern wonders and didn’t like any of them. Thin is in, they hide better and you might not need new pants.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

74 …. You can get an extra long Garrison grip extender to fit the Tomcat mag. But if the fingers don’t fit, they don’t fit. Maybe someday people will have their hands scanned and a machine can build you a gun right from scratch on the spot. Glock will probably invent it. Put in your wishes / specs and out pops a perfectly fitted handgun. Vending machine specials (VMGs) complete with a full mag. lol

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thanks Brulen. I’ll just stick with full size guns. I have enough bod to keep them hidden.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I had a S&W mp sub compact in 40. It was a great gun and you could interchange the back strap of the grip to fit your hand. It also came with a grip extension that slid onto the mag. The only reason i got rid of it was because the 40 ammo was pretty expensive at the time and i like to shoot a lot. I bought a springfield emp in 9mm instead. I really like both of these for ccw but emp is a little heavier than the mp. Crimson trace makes lasers for both

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Okay, a number of views on this.

As a gunsmith, as an instructor, as an ex cop, as a person who’s carried for 25+ years now.

From the instructors view, carry what you practice with. Too many practice and come to classes with a full size gun then carry a mouse gun that they can’t operate under stress. Better to carry the larger gun you actually use.
    Second part of this, that pocket gun isn’t going to be where your normal holster is, you’re gonna reach for something that isn’t there.
    There’s a reason cops are told to carry off duty in the same place as their duty gun, their brain is trained to go there first.

As a gunsmith, I can build what you want, just leave the check blank.

As the ex cop, “why the %&×$” didn’t you use something larger?”
    You just put three rounds into bubba-j and now he’s pissed. And now I gotta go deal with him, wonderful.
    Sorry but the cops would rather clean up after a shooting by calling the coroner and investigating the shooting rather than arresting the scumbag, taking him to the hospital on the taxpayers dime, then jail, court, then see him released because he’s always been a nice boy who was straightening his life out. I don’t care what the PC comments are, that’s the reality. And that poor bad guy, who suddenly can’t work because he’s maimed for life, is gonna sue you for a pile of cash, and your insurance company may just pay it out to save time.
    And why wouldn’t you carry the most effective gun you can?
    Having shot a number of things, been a part of a number of autopsies, been privileged to read a number of shooting reports and coroners reports, I will not carry less than a 9mm.

I had the displeasure of having to dispose of a number of aggressive dogs over the years, the first I used my backup .380 on. My Sergeant was giving me grief over my shooting until he saw the 6 holes in the off side of its chest. The next shift, I had switched to a compact .45 as backup and never changed from that. I carried a number of third guns, for testing and animal disposal, I got to shoot a lot of road injured animals, and I found out what worked and what didn’t on live critters.

Putting all that together, as well as all the years of concealed carry, I prefer a mid size gun for everything but pocket carry (when I can’t carry a real gun).
    My minimum is a 9mm, preferably with a 10+ round magazine.
    Why?
    Very simple, bad guys generally aren’t alone anymore. If it takes 5 to put down bad guy number 1, and I’m carrying a 5 shot snubby, bad guy 2 is gonna have my lunch.
    Second, if I’m not carrying a reload, if I left it in the car, I want as many bbs as I can carry with me.

Edit to follow.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Whirlibird … Just wondering if you teach a class for armed security guard? In addition to the ccw. I can see all the points you’re making but recently reading Ayoob Deadly Force I was wondering if Zimmerman would not have had to go thru so much B S if he had a armed security guard license.

Where I am I don’t have to specifically list a main ccw gun and of course I have multiple guns that I carry at different times and in different places. I don’t consider .32A to be an all round all purpose gun for every situation I would ever encounter.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Brulen,
    The political climate drove Zimmerman’s case not his training. He was not initially charged because he acted within the law. If you get caught up in attempt to further someone’s agenda you’re bound to have difficulties.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

74…. Very true. Several of these cases lately are completely driven by politics and the media.

Again, I see lots of different thoughts and CCW preferences. The one thing that always escapes these discussions is as such: How many people carry at the gym? How about the beach? Tshirt and shorts while working in the yard or while in your PJ’s as you cruise around your home? I can tell you this: I do…. When I am not at work, I always have a pistol on me. Even when I am at the river or while lifting weights at the gym. Why and how? Again, I carry a small pistol at all times and move to a bigger one when I can. At no time does my clothing restrict my carry due to what I carry.

I said it before and I will mention it again because I think it was ignored: Get something that YOU WILL CARRY. If you are comfortable with carrying a full sized 1911 to the beach and have enough belly rolls to keep from printing while wearing only swim trunks, then do that. If you think that using a shoulder holster, appendix rig, inside the waistband, etc. will work at all times then you really either have no clue, no variety in life or wear a coat even while showering…. Very ridiculous to think that one solution will cover all basis. You are going to have gaps in your solution, so decide what is best for you: Hand cannon that you don’t carry or pea shooter that is always with you. Those are pretty much the two extremes….. You could always do what I do and carry and unloaded and locked up bigger caliber pistol in your vehicle and a pea shooter all the time. At least you would have back up if you could get to your truck.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Whirlibird wrote:

Okay, a number of views on this.

As a gunsmith, as an instructor, as an ex cop, as a person who’s carried for 25+ years now.

From the instructors view, carry what you practice with. Too many practice and come to classes with a full size gun then carry a mouse gun that they can’t operate under stress. Better to carry the larger gun you actually use.

Second part of this, that pocket gun isn’t going to be where your normal holster is, you’re gonna reach for something that isn’t there.
    There’s a reason cops are told to carry off duty in the same place as their duty gun, their brain is trained to go there first.

As a gunsmith, I can build what you want, just leave the check blank.

As the ex cop, “why the %&×$” didn’t you use something larger?”<br>
    You just put three rounds into bubba-j and now he’s pissed. And now I gotta go deal with him, wonderful.<br>
    Sorry but the cops would rather clean up after a shooting by calling the coroner and investigating the shooting rather than arresting the scumbag, taking him to the hospital on the taxpayers dime, then jail, court, then see him released because he’s always been a nice boy who was straightening his life out. I don’t care what the PC comments are, that’s the reality. And that poor bad guy, who suddenly can’t work because he’s maimed for life, is gonna sue you for a pile of cash, and your insurance company may just pay it out to save time.<br>

And why wouldn’t you carry the most effective gun you can?

Having shot a number of things, been a part of a number of autopsies, been privileged to read a number of shooting reports and coroners reports,

I will not carry less than a 9mm.

I had the displeasure of having to dispose of a number of aggressive dogs over the years, the first I used my backup .380 on. My Sergeant was giving me grief over my shooting until he saw the 6 holes in the off side of its chest.
    The next shift, I had switched to a compact .45 as backup
    and never changed from that. I carried a number of third guns, for testing and animal disposal, I got to shoot a lot of road injured animals, and I found out what worked and what didn’t on live critters.

Putting all that together, as well as all the years of concealed carry, I prefer a mid size gun for everything but pocket carry (when I can’t carry a real gun).
    My minimum is a 9mm, preferably with a 10+ round magazine.

Why?
    Very simple, bad guys generally aren’t alone anymore. If it takes 5 to put down bad guy number 1, and I’m carrying a 5 shot snubby, bad guy 2 is gonna have my lunch.<br>
    Second, if I’m not carrying a reload, if I left it in the car, I want as many bbs as I can carry with me.

Edit to follow.

This is GOLD, People!
    I highlighted things that stand out to me, and I’m pretty typical of folks here…
    But it’s all good stuff! I also have a good friend in NV that is an NRA instructor, and he pretty much says the same things. Waiting for edits and additions, I love it when Whirli bestows these nuggets of wisdom ;)
    I do not follow his advice to the letter when he’s recommending guns, but I do try and learn the principles he is presenting ;) Hence my general disdain for “poly-guns” :P
    I own NO 380 handguns, and if I do, it might be for the nostalgia of owning a
    “James Bond Gun” Walther PPK because I’ve always been a fan, Bond and I have a lot in common (same age, same swagger and style) :D

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.