Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I made this knife for my wife a few years back and wanted to share it with y’all

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Matt,

Nice looking tool. Did you form both the blade & handle?

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Matt – it’s pretty! I love the blade – how did you do that dimpling/texture thing? Does she carry this with her daily?

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

The blade was made from an old broken wood chisel I found. The shadows in the picture made it a little hard to see but the texture on it actually looks like was flaked like an arrowhead. I used a deburring tip and a dye grinder for that. The handle was made from deer antler I had laying around.

The rivets are the screw type. I just ground and polished the slots off of them after I apoxied the handle slabs and tightened them down. As far as her using it, well lets just say she shoots the deer and I get to clean it. Lol. I dont mind though. I’m just glad she likes being in the woods with me.

Ghost
    Ghost
    Survivalist
    member3

Nice looking blade matt, did you make a sheath for it also?

If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

THat is very nice !  There is something about gifts that are hand made , that give them a quality that gets passed on for generations .  Well Done .

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Matt76 really nice work. My grandfather was born in Spain end he made many knifes by hand. I still have one. It is an art. I wish I would learn the art. I am into stain glass windows as my hobby. Maybe soon I will do a knife.I need to read up on it.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Nice job Matt!

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

@ All
    Thanks for all the complements

@ Ghost
    No I did not make a sheath for it. I have an old friend from high school who is making one for it as we speak.

@freedom
    there basically are three different ways to make a knife.
    1.Buy a pre made blank knife and put whatever handle you want on it.
    2.Grinder Smithing(that’s what my horse shoer calls it) Where you take a piece of hardened steel and grind or file it to the desired shape. That’s how I did this one.

3. Forging ,where you heat the metal and beat it into the shape you want and then heat treat it to the desired hardness.
    These are listed in order of difficulty easiest to hardest. Making knives is a lot of fun. You get the satisfaction of making something yourself and you get to choose the features you want. Ever looked at knives at a store and said man I really like that blade but the handle looks uncomfortable or visa versa. It’s like burger king, you get it your way.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Matt,

Not sure what design sheath you are having made for this knife. But I saw a small knife on AG Russel that used a sheath similar to the popluar pocket holsters for small pistols.  It uses stiff flat wide leather, shaped to fit a back pocket with the knife sheath along the edge. The knife is not as artistic as your wife’s but I want one.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews
    Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

It’s main purpose was for hunting so I am having a basic belt sheath made but that ag Russell sheath is cool. It would allow you to carry a fixed blade the same way I carry my pocket knife in my back pocket.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Matt,

Exacto-ly

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Really awesome knife Matt! What kind of tools would I need if I want to get into making custom knives? Whats a good starter setup?

I just set up a wood workshop but this is another thing I would love to get into.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Jay,

What did you buy for your shop bty?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.