Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Found a suspicious hand print on the upstairs back door. We have a two floor back porch and it has its own door directly into the second floor. Last night I just happen to notice a hand print in the dirt that is on the outside of the door’s window. It would appear that someone was peering inside and had their hand on the glass.

Just a reminder to always be on the alert… especially if you are in a neighborhood directly adjacent to low income areas.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Be safe WhiteKnight. Do you have motion activated lighting outside? Alarm system?

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Might be nothing, but I would not count on that, looks like someone is scouting for possible interesting things.
    It would be good to raise your attention in next period.

WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

I suspect that someone looked briefly, saw nothing interesting (nothing worth stealing is in view) and left. However I can’t be sure, so I will definitely be on the lookout.

We have an alarm system and the sign that says so is out front. Doesn’t mean they won’t go for it anyway! No motion activated lights, however.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Call your local PD, they may be able to get usable prints if you haven’t cleaned up yet.

If for no other reason than they know who to watch out for.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

This may also be an opportunity, if not already, to learn your local laws around defending your family if you experience a home invasion in the middle of the night. Can vary from state to state.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

+1 Chester!

Then prepare yourself and property as much as possible, within the bounds of your local and state laws.

I have always considered using motion detector lights, but feed back the output to a board that indicates the area an intruder would be located in. Such as quadrants around the yard… In other words, the motion detector would not trigger an external light, but would indicate where the trespasser was!

Economical camera systems are good too, some have a split screen monitor setup so you only need 1 monitor.

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Well, that’s just creepy… handprints just don’t magically show up on panes of glass behind your house…

Definitely notify the cops. Then I would permanently shut the windows – get a bag of drywall screws and a drill and screw the windows shut. It won’t stop them, but give them nothing for free. If they have to bust out the glass, here’s hoping they cut the **** out of themselves getting in… Then go over to your nearest big box store and get motion activated lights. I would go one better and then stop by someplace like Dick’s Sporting Goods and buy a few Bushnell trail cameras – place them around your property at likely places of entry onto your property. Also point one or two at the back of your house from different angles. They’re low light sensitive and have an IR flash. Most can shoot video, too. If you can’t stop them, then you can get their pictures/license plate numbers and nail them after the fact.

We had a series of robberies around here. The pieces of crap like driving around and breaking into people’s barns, stealing tools, air compressors, saddles, tack, anything they can sell to support their pill or meth habit. I bought three Bushnell trail cameras in Realtree camo. 6 megapixel. Extended range IR. Ended up pointing one at the entrance to my barn, one inside the barn pointing outwards and one up in a tree on my property pointing at the entrance to my neighbor’s barn. No way anyone can get them all, unless they watched me put them up – and I doubt that happened.

I might not be able to stop them, but I can get their faces and hunt their asses down…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

We saw a picture of the woman who stole my debit card the day before the Super Bowl one year, and we spotted her and turned her ass in! We told the bank :D

They cleaned out my account, used the card at 5 liquor stores, 3 gas stations and 2 grocery stores. There was maybe $2 left…
    Since I turned in the card as “stolen or lost” the bank froze the account against NSF charges, etc. and returned all my money. They had me and my wife come in to “ID” the perp. I asked if actually they were ruling us out, and they said yes, that was why they had both of us come in. This woman was very distinctive looking, tall, big boned, and a unique face. I saw her on the porch of a house 1/2 a block down from the last place I used the card, which was a gas station.
    I had put the card in my jacket pocket and either dropped it or was pick-pocketed. Not sure which, but I turned it is ASAP but they still drained the account just that quick. They only had a few hours, tops.

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

white get some bars for your windows. if you dont use windows for anything more than light and they are the smaller ones at ground level consider glass bricking them in you still get sun and privacy but a pain to pull out.. you can have the bars hidden behind the glass or in front depending on what you prefer them to waste time then have to choose another entry( bar outside) or look that they spent too much time made too much noise ( bar inside)

if you dont have steel doors with reinforced framed so they cant bend frame with jack to open and multi lock points think of getting some. go to local refurbished building supplies you can get them there way cheaper just bought a few for under 250 each framed and door hardware included just no lock.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Better yet, get rid of the window. Houses designed with no windows at all are becoming more common place.

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Nice, @Brulen

I like the fiberoptic concept. Also the water filled plastic bottle in roof is a dirt cheap (free?) way to light up an area.

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I have resisted having the motion activated lights because I don’t want them coming on (and me wondering what’s going on) when animals come into the yard at night. I do like the thought of putting in a couple trail cams though. I need to think through where to place them.

WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Trail camera placed! I have serious doubts that they’ll return, but if they do, they will inevitably have to step into its field of view. The front door is alarm protected, so I’m covered there.

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Nice!

I’d say you can rest a bit easier.

@MountainBiker:
    You are correct, the motion light is a pain when animals enter the yard.
    I tried reducing the sensitivity, but certain ones still triggered it. Never saw any trespassers, though LOL!

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.