Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

With all of our ongoing doom and gloom discussions, here’s something light and fun for folks not familiar with VT. I would also add that we have the lowest violent crime rate in the nation, virtually no diversity, the fewest gun laws in the nation, and no big cities driving the State’s politics. It is a live and let live liberal-libertarian type culture. I would add that #3 Woodchuck Hard Cider is excellent (and I’m a beer drinker by nature), I disagree with #4 being I think Long Trail Brewing is better than Lost Nation, elaborate on #17 by saying it is legal in public almost everywhere in the State (not just swimming holes), and on #18 that you don’t see them because they’re illegal. So yes, you can drive down the road and see one thing but not another.

http://www.movoto.com/vt/things-people-from-vermont-have-to-explain/

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I love everything about Vermont with 2 exceptions. Cold winters and snow. Speaking of snow the predictions are for as much as 30 inches in parts of New England. We just went over our power outage preps for the coming storm. The only issue is keeping the place heated with 2 fire places.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Said with all the understatement I can muster, yes it can get a tad cold in winter and snow every now and then but then folks complain when it gets hot in July too. It will barely go below zero tonight and fresh fallen snow really is pretty. An added benefit is each storm is an exercise opportunity for me when after shoveling my snow I go shovel out my neighbor that is in Florida and another neighbor who’ll be at work.

I had a fireplace at my last house in the living room with wide doorways on two sides of the room and while it heated up the living room very well, it left the rest of the house freezing. That’s why the old houses had multiple fireplaces. I have a wood stove in the Great Room of my present house which takes care of the front half of the house and a propane stove in a back Sitting Room that’ll heat the back half. It’s sort of like two houses, a former owner having doubled the size of it with the back addition.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Vermont is beautiful but it is a little to cold for me. The Florida neighbor must live close to me, it was 55 this morning and now it is about 70.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Have fun there , we will be fairly close , I’m moving back to Maine . Oh , Maine has the cleanest water in the US .

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Goos luck in Maine Tolik.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I love Maine. If I didn’t live in Vermont I’d want to live in Maine. Not sure which is my favorite spot though. The coast is magnificient in ways that make the standard sandy beach elsewhere boring by comparison. Portland is a very livable city I think. The lakes are great. I have long been fond of the Calais area simply because when I visited there for the 1st time for a historical commemoration in 2004 it felt like I had come home which was really odd being I had never been there before. The only other place that I ever had that same feeling was in New Brunswick. Anyway, welcome back to New England. Maine has the same great Northern New England climate that I like too.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

I love Northern New England and Maine in particular. Nice.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Everytime I get the feeling I want to move I start thinking Airstream. It would be fun to just move and move and move. We spent years driving out to the west coast and back. It seems like Vermont or Maine would be a better home state than Ny. But when you can choose any state except Hawaii to live (declare residency) it becomes a harder choice. Idaho Montana Alaska Texas Nevada. we’ve lived in all of them …for a while. I’m going to go back and check out the RV bugout thread. Maybe we’ll turn into Route 66’ers, homeless vagabonds until we finally wind up in Costa Rica. Very cheap to live there if you know how. lol

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Thanks 74 , sure gunna be good getting out of the turd eating desert ………….no appreciation for the nuclear test zone what so ever .

The idea above about the air stream sounds like fun , or even one of those little teardrops .

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

The Maine coast is scenic overload. I love Mt. Desert!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.