Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

This guy didn’t even run when everyone else was running.

What were you guys up to on 9/11? How did you experience it?

I remember I had a doctor appointment for a check up and I took a radio along to it to follow the updates. Everyone was quiet and listening. I saw the second tower collapsing live on TV before I left home. I spoke with an old friend when this happened. It was hard to believe all this was real.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Hats off and heads bowed for the 343+ NYFD members and 71+ LE officers killed at or because of the 911 attacks.

Real heroes run into trouble when everyone else is running out.

I had just finished a graveyard shift, pulled off my uniform and jumped under the covers when the phone rang.
    The voice on the other end said turn on the tv.
    I asked what channel, the response, any channel.
    As I warched the screen came alive, I watched the second plane hit.
    My pager went off, the message was for all shifts to come in early, and bring all ‘roll out gear’. Also bring spare uniforms and anything else we may need to pull extra shifts if needed.

We spent the next week dealing with panicked residents seeing terrs behind every bush. Our criminal class took the week off it seemed.

It took a week to find out about two friends who were there, both killed in the collapses. One wasn’t found and identified for months.

Friends, comrades, brothers behind the badges.
    You are remembered.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I was in my office and got a call from one of the other VP’s saying a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. She didn’t elaborate and being she was an easily excitable person I thought to myself a little Piper Cub or something like that and went back to work. The President of the company was out of the country on vacation, meaning I was in charge. Then I heard from someone else and realized what had happened. We had a TV in the main lobby of the building and a number of us started gathering there to watch. After the 2nd plane hit I knew it wasn’t an accident and called my wife at home, just telling her turn on the TV, the country is under attack. My son was about 20 miles away at his high school and my daughter was in the Boston suburbs taking dance lessons for the day but I didn’t see any imminent risk to them and so took no action. While watching TV, at one point they were reporting from DC and in the background off at a distance I saw all the smoke from the Pentagon. We didn’t know it had been hit yet but I knew something was hit which really confirmed that we were under attack. Then we learned of the plane going down in PA and all planes being grounded, so we had the Sales Dept start trying to make contact with all of our Account Executives around the country to make sure they were safe and to determine whether any of them were grounded someplace other than their home city. I authorized them doing whatever they needed to do to get themselves home or otherwise hunker down where they were. Later that day when my daughter got home I Iearned that they weren’t collecting tolls on the MA Pike, that they were just waiving the cars through to speed up the outflow from Boston. Apparently they had started evacuating the office towers in Boston just in case Boston was also attacked.

One of my brothers had flown out of Baltimore that morning heading to NV for a meeting with the plan being to come home that night. His plane put down in Denver and he fortunately had the presence of mind to rent a car as fast as he could. He literally got the last one they had and scrambled to get a hotel room anywhere as they were also filling up with stranded travelers. Then he had an ordeal dealing with his meds. He has an uncommon heart condition but only had his meds for that day. First he had to make contact with his doctor back in MD to get a prescription and then find a pharmacy in Denver that had it. It took several hours to find one after he got the prescription being most pharmacies don’t carry it in stock. My sister who lives in OH happened to be in Denver herself for a conference and so she just extended her reservation at the hotel is all.

My boss that was out of the country with his wife had 5 kids at home with the grandparents. It took several days but he was smart enough to take the 1st flight he could get to anywhere in the US. He flew to Atlanta, rented a car and drove all the way to Boston to get his car that was at the airport, and then drove the 2 hours home from there.

In retrospect I should have had my wife fetch my son home from school and made contact with our daughter to get her home too because none of knew what else might be going to happen that day, especially so with my daughter having been in the Boston suburbs. The other thing I did wrong was sit mesmerized in front of the TV watching the same clips play again and again with the same commentary over and over.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I was working from home writing reports, I didn’t have any media on and was unaware of the situation. My wife called from work, a school. She thought I should think about picking them up. When I turned on the TV both buildings were still up with only the first one hit. It was burning bad and shortly after I started watching what happened the second plane hit. I knew as everyone did at that moment that it was an attack. I went straight to the school and took my daughter out of school. I was only 5 blocks away from the school but there really was no way to know what was happening. I could only envision terrorist shooting up the schools like they did in Russia. The office lady was indignant that I was taking her out of school and told me that the kids don’t even know it happened, like that was going to keep them safe. That day was an awakening for me.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I was on my way to Houston Bush Intercontinental Airport to work on cellular communications equipment that was located on the roof of the international terminal. The first plane hit just before we got to the loading dock to check in at the security check point. On of my crew members got out of the truck and told me the first tower had been hit. We checked in and they had it on the TV monitor at the check in. I called back to the office and asked if they still wanted us working. They told us to go ahead and start but if the airport started locking down to leave. We had a little radio we took on the roof with us and we listened as we started getting set up to work. When they gave the order to ground all flights I started to worry. It was crazy. I remember watching every plane come in for a landing and wondering if it was going to crash into the building. This airport is normally very busy but on that day the sky was full of planes circling waiting for their turn to land. With the threat of another crash it reminded me of one of those pictures you see looking up from the ocean floor and all the silhouettes of the sharks circling above. Any one of those shadows could attack at any second. Then the second plane hit. At that point I called the office and TOLD them we were leaving. We got out without any incident but it was such a numbing shocking feeling. I felt as if I had been stunned by a ****** punch all day. All I could do was watch and pray for those who lost and were losing their lives. We will never forget.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

matt76, there were something like 4,000 planes in the air in the US that had to be landed, so it was crazy for sure at every airport big enough to take them. I imagine there were more than a few folks worried that were working at those airports. . A while back there was a really good documentary type show about Gander, Newfoundland, a town of less than 10,000 people, and very remote by anyone’s standards. There were 38 international flights inbound to the US that had to land there, disembarking over 6,000 passengers that needed to be fed, housed etc. The people of Gander organized themselves and somehow pulled it off. It really was a testament to the good in people. There is a book about it now.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Day-World-Came-Town/dp/0060559713

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

My helper and I were in the shop picking up tools and items we would need that day. My Uncle came out of the house telling us to come inside. The TV was on and showing the after effects of the first plane hitting the World Trade Tower 1.
    My thoughts went back to Oct. 24, 1983, Beirut Lebanon to be exact. An attachment of US Marines had been killed when their barracks had been bombed.
    I knew the ante had just been increased tenfold.
    Up to this point I knew America had been fighting AT terrorism and now we were fighting With terrorism.
    Sitting here now thinking about this topic just numbs my soul. I hope the crop of fighters now in uniform are up to the challenge.
    Robin

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

I was in school… Social Studies teacher comes into room. “There has been a terrorist attack.” We all piled into the 7th grade home room (I was in 7th grade) and watched on a TV on a stand as the 2nd tower was struck. I’ll never forget it.

That being said, I need you all to know the evidence is O.V.E.R.W.H.E.L.M.I.N.G. that this was perpetrated by a wide variety of elements within our own government. All 3 towers were brought down with nanothermite cutter charges and yes, I have proof beyond a reasonable doubt. (Building 7 wasn’t even hit by significant debris from the twin towers… yet at 5pm, spontaneously imploded into its own footprint. You dont hear about it very often because its too obvious. They’d rather you forget.)

If you harbor any doubts as to the validity of my claim, please do send me a private message.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

Was on the way to school when the first plane hit, heard it over the radio. Watched t.v. in class most of the morning, saw the towers collapse, saw the footage of people dancing in the street celebrating the attacks, and was instantly angry / ready for war.

Lady friend of mine gave me **** because the footage was obviously ready to go before hand/propaganda. Started me on the path of questions.

Chose not to join the reserves when they told us pancakes took the towers down. (bullshit)

Dropped out, got a job, been rocking the boat ever since.

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.