Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I know a lot of us have a Mosin – Nagant rifle , I found a site that is dedicated to it , especially helpful if you are curious about all the markings you find all over your rifle . By using that site , I found out the one I have , was a Tula 1938 .
    http://www.7.62x54r.net

Profile photo of Johnny Bailey
    Johnny Bailey
    Survivalist
    member1

Tolik, i found that site about a year ago, and it’s great. A couple of handy tips for Mosin owners i’ve discovered via trial and error…..

1) As these rifles ARE older surplus, it is wise to lock-tite both screws that hold the firing assembly to the stock. Reason; if you shoot it a lot, these screws WILL shake loose. You’ll take it out one day, and your shots will be all over the map, and the bullets will display a tumbling effect on paper, IF you hit it. My first thought… the barrel’s finally wearing……sniff…. Upon further inspection, not so, thank God. Check those 2 bolts FIRST! Most times, you will not notice the slight movement between the stock and the assembly, but it WILL show up in your results.I re-tightened those 2 bolts, locktited em, and Yuri’s accuracy was back to dead-on. Further, if utilizing a Mosin or 3 for a defense scenario, you do NOT want this phenomenon to become an issue when a moment of truth is upon you…..

2) When taking this rifle apart for servicing and cleaning, WATCH closely for that small metal dowel that will EASILY fall out of the trigger assembly! It seats in there veery loosely on 95% of Mosins, It’s very small and easy to lose, and better folks than I have not even noticed it fall out. Finding a replacement dowel for it is damn near impossible unless pulling a replacement one from a scrap Mosin.

Johnny Bailey
    Survivalist
    member1

There’s been talk about whether Mosins are more accurate with, or without, the bayonet mounted on. Personally, I have not noted ANY difference one way or the other, but other folks swear by shooting with a mounted bayonet. I fire it with the bayonet UN-mounted, simply to cut back on the overall length of the rifle for both transport and handling. Further, if utilized in a defense scenario, I don’t plan on letting opponents get CLOSE enough to me for a bayonet to become a factor. At that point, it’s sidearm time….IMHO

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Best thing I have done for my Mosin is giving it feet! The ones I bought attach to the front strap mount.

Robin

danzak44
    danzak44
    Veteran
    member1

Thanks Tolik for the website, I don’t think I’ve found this one yet! I can never get enough info on my mosin.

Always live for today!

danzak44
    danzak44
    Veteran
    member1

Thanks Johnny Bailey about the info on the dowel and the screws. Greatly appreciated.

Always live for today!

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

AS far as the bayonet goes , I have no idea how or if it affects accuracy , I do know that when in active use by the Russians in WW2 , Soviet doctrine called for the bayonet to be on the rifle . I think it was on most of the time during WW1 . As we know , if we have a standard 91/30 , its a Loooooonnnng rifle when the bayonet is attached . Had a friend that had never seen one up close , and he said it reminded him of a revolutionary musket lol .

Johnny Bailey
    Survivalist
    member1

No kidding, Tolik! The darn thing is so long, you could use it to roast hot dogs at Fukushima…. FROM Hawaii! HA!
    Iraqveteran8888 has some great youtube videos about the Mosin. Some great maintenance tips, and de-skunking tips to get all of the Bulgarian ear wax (cosmoline) out of em when you buy one. That’s where I learned that trick about baking the stock in your oven to sweat the cosmo out of the wood. Worked like a charm too! Lowest heat setting of course……. Thought i’d throw that in there…. lol
    He has one video where he uses a beater Mosin, and puts it through some serious torture testing. The guy was CRUSHING a pile of cinderblocks with the buttstock! Just pulverizing it…. I love this rifle! And like ALL firearms designed out of Russia, the Mosin is designed to take an absolute BEATING, and keep on functioning. For what i think we ALL know is coming down the pike, reliability in firearms is gonna be a HUGE factor in who survives, and well………

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.