Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Might be something you want to learn, especially if/when you’re into comms. From what I understand you don’t need as much power to send CW (which stands for Continuous Wave) as you would voice or data. Again, this isn’t your basic survival stuff, but it might be important.

Here’s an online source to help learn: http://morsecode.scphillips.com/trainer/

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

True, Mr. Red. I used to be a ham operator many years ago (almost 50) and loved Morse Code. Took little power and cut through interference much better than voice comm. Can even be used visually in certain situations (mirror signals, smoke signals, tapping, etc).

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

I’d love to be able to bang out some code once I get my amateur radio license. And as you mentioned it can be used in other ways, not just with radio communication.

Didn’t one of the U.S. pilots shot down in Vietnam blink out some Morse Code when they were showing them off on TV?

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Mr Red will look into this, may come in hand.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

My sister and I had fun with learning morse code one winter. Practice, practice and one day it ‘clicked’ I understood the sounds I was hearing without thinking about it .I’ll have to refresh that skill even if I don’t have a radio set yet. You can download a free course to learn it several places on the web – here’s one (click)

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

I think this would be a great idea for some groups of preppers who live a bit spread out in a certain area. I will try to get some of the people in my area to get into this. Another reason why morse code could be really helpful is that your average criminal who might listen in, probably won’t know much about it so it could offer a little bit extra opsec.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.