Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Based on recent posts here in the Forum, one might think that only people’s medical records are in serious jeopardy of falling into the wrong hands (actually, they already did – years ago). Most have never heard of the MIB mentioned in another post related to that concern. So, how about this one.

Ever hear of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau? According to its own web site, it’s all for our own good and protection – like any other government creation. See the attached capture from their official web site home page.

Now I want to make it clear that I do NOT consider Wikipedia to be a trustworthy primary source of reliable information. But with that said, they do offer a fairly decent overview of the nature of this beast, its history, etc. Note that it was first proposed by an obscure Harvard Law School professor by the name of Elizabeth Warren. Yes, THAT Elizabeth Warren. Obama appointed her as an Assistant to the President and Special Advisor to the Secretary of the Treasury. He attempted to make her the first head of the agency once it was up and running, but ran into too much Republican opposition in Congress. She ran for U.S. Senate and the rest is history in the making.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_Financial_Protection_Bureau

I just thought the comments of my outgoing (retiring, thank goodness) congressman might be of interest here. Note, these were personal comments in a response from him, not something I just lifted out of a newspaper article.

[T]he CFPB will monitor 95% of all credit card transactions. The CFPB also tracks data on individual’s checking accounts, student loan debts, bankruptcy filings, and mortgages. The CFPB mass collects personally identifiable information but has no procedure to destroy this information. Therefore, it is possible data could be stored indefinitely in a giant government server.

As of last month (June 2016) the CFPB Data Collection Security Act had still not made it out of Congress, after multiple attempts over several years to do so. They continue to collect massive amounts of financial data about virtually all Americans, and there’s no provision to destroy it or limit access to it. Such a (typically) high-sounding name for a government program, with such almost unlimited authority to monitor and permanently store almost all of our finances. Re-read my congressman’s statement about what they collect.

Just a little tidbit for U.S. readers that might have missed this headline story on all of the major news channels (oh, wait – it was never there)…. It’s hard to imagine why Hillary didn’t put that famous Native American Harvard Law School professor in line to become just one heartbeat away from the presidency. This was her baby!

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

• This topic was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint GeorgiaSaint.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

It’s hard to imagine why Hillary didn’t put that famous Native American Harvard Law School professor in line to become just one heartbeat away from the presidency.

Not too hard, GS. As veep, she wouldn’t have much to do with putting all that gathered info to “practical” use. But as head of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, or as Attorney General (she’s a lawyer, right?) with assigned oversight of the CFPB, she’d be in perfect position to make all that individually specific info do something “useful” for Hitlary.

Heck, with a little luck, she’d even be able to “take full responsibility” if/when her armed agents might raid/annihilate some compound of suspect “cult” members accused of violating some obscure provision of that law by hiding their financial dealings through cash transactions.

Besides, too much estrogen on the ticket might not sell as well to putative Dem voters as showcasing Hitlary’s subordination of a male running mate.

Cry, "Treason!"

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Profile photo of L Tecolote L Tecolote.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Profile photo of L Tecolote L Tecolote.
    Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

In secrecy we trust. The democrat motto. Hillary running her own state department from the server in her basement was a blunder. She won’t even admit her emails were hacked, way to stupid. Obama and Clinton have wasted trillions. Where did it all go? What really happens to the data they collect on government spending. Like her emails probably destroyed by shredding. Does the invisible secret government exist or is it an illusion. Are all these gigantic information systems even real. Does anybody wonder what the point of keeping an infinite amount of data means. Its like a bad case of hoarding. The bills in congress are so complex nobody in congress can figure them out. They’ll be playing fantasy games with numbers from now to infinity. This is the singularity. Oops wasn’t quite what they expected was it.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Profile photo of Brulen Brulen.
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Are all these gigantic information systems even real. Does anybody wonder what the point of keeping an infinite amount of data means. Its like a bad case of hoarding.

Anyone that’s ever even toyed around with relational database applications, doesn’t wonder for even a moment what the point of keeping an infinite amount of data means. They that understand shudder – and strive to keep as much of their own information as possible out of those databases.

Even those that have no idea what a relational database is, need only to observe what happens in highly reported crimes. Within just a few hours, it’s already reported where the suspect lived, who lived with him, where he purchased his weapons and ammunition, where his friends and relatives live, etc. My wife and I watched the first Jason Bourne movie (The Bourne Identity) again the other night. Jason Bourne randomly chooses a young woman (Marie) to at least temporarily drive him out of harm’s way. Government people scoured phone and other records to determine Marie’s contacts, places she’s lived or been over many years, and do it all within minutes. They pick up a call she made to a rural farm in France that wasn’t even answered, and they zero in there – almost successfully (i.e. nearly killing Jason Bourne). The photos, phone data, location data, banking data, etc., etc., etc., are all searchable in extremely short periods of time, based on (i.e. related to) a specific individual. And suddenly that “randomly” collected data over many years gels into a highly coherent and minutely detailed biography of that individual – usable for any purpose. THAT is “the point of keeping an infinite amount of data.”

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

GS….. That’s funny. All that computer power and yet Jason Bourne kicks butt. What does she say about Jason… He doesn’t do random, there’s always an objective. He wins.

By the way 2040. Running out of power for our toys. On drudge. There’s no free lunch.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Profile photo of Brulen Brulen.
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Bourne’s fiction. And most of us are not as resourceful, let alone as lucky as Jason Bourne. The technology and its capabilities are very real indeed – but far beyond the comprehension or even knowledge of most people living even in more advanced nations (certainly including the United States). I have substantial enough first hand knowledge and understanding of relational databases and their capabilities, and therefore have zero doubt about the validity of my stated concern. Nuf sed. Take it or leave it.

GS

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint GeorgiaSaint.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.