Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Sled, the point I’m trying to make to myself is that in the US looting is acceptable, stealing is not. If a family member loots you he will say he needed it and assume you are still family. On the other hand if he steals it from under your nose and claims he didn’t do it, he will be punished by the law.There are even legalisms for it. If its disputed it will be called a civil case. If its an outright accusation its called criminal case. As a nation of looters, the US is the most powerful country in the world. We are predators. But we are also survivors. It appears we are already a nation warring within itself.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Much depends on the BO.

Friend of mine bugged before y2k.
    A computer engineer, he was part of the fix for several companies.
    When the end was nigh, he sold his house, quit his iob, bought a bunch of gold, bullets and beans, and headed for the sticks.

After nothing happened, took him almost 6 months to get back in the industry. He figured it cost him upwards of $300k between taxes, the river place and lost wages.

You can bug too early, it just depends on the situation.

And now he works from home? If so its a good transition.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Brulen:

Of course looting is acceptable… This is the land of entitlement.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Much depends on the BO.

Friend of mine bugged before y2k.
    A computer engineer, he was part of the fix for several companies.
    When the end was nigh, he sold his house, quit his iob, bought a bunch of gold, bullets and beans, and headed for the sticks.

After nothing happened, took him almost 6 months to get back in the industry. He figured it cost him upwards of $300k between taxes, the river place and lost wages.

You can bug too early, it just depends on the situation.

And now he works from home? If so its a good transition.

Home yes, the river house? No.
    He bought a condo, near work and spends weekends at the river.
    Until they got satellite out there, he couldn’t get enough signal to do squat.
    His position, he needs to be close to work.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Brulen:

Of course looting is acceptable… This is the land of entitlement.

And the Queen of quan-tit-ative easing…

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirly,
    Maybe he couldn’t get another job because potential employers thought he was a flake for selling his house fearing Y2k? Everyone knew it could be fixed months before the date came.
    If he sold his house why didn’t he just stay at his BOL?

If I was forced to BO I don’t expect to sell my house. I expect to take the loss, (or collect on my home owners insurance)..ha like that could happen. Wars & Civil disturbances are excluded from coverage. Terminating your employment because of y2k? He should have taken a leave of absence, or used FMLA so he could return to work.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Ya, he kind of went overboard.
    His divorce was finalized in the middle of it all, so he wasn’t exactly running on all 8 cylinders at the time.
    He was one of those guys who engineer worst case scenarios and then fix them, he saw the worst and ran with it.

But like so many doom and gloomers who are looking at economic crashes, and every other issue right now, he’s in good company.

As to the rest, not my child.
    But he’s gotten better over the last 15 years.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I actually knew and worked with a guy that was so convinced about Y2K , that he sold most of his stuff to buy water and food , should have seen his face a week after when he realized nothing was going to take place .

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

I actually knew and worked with a guy that was so convinced about Y2K , that he sold most of his stuff to buy water and food , should have seen his face a week after when he realized nothing was going to take place .

Did he crawl into a cave and die? Its unbelievable he didn’t know about the tech crash in 2000. Y2K didn’t happen but something sure did, like 5 trillion gone out of the stock market.

All the people who got out of the stocks before 2000 were glad they did afterward.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

He didnt die , but he felt pretty bad knowing how much money he spent on things he didnt need , and sold some of the things he now did need .

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

He didnt die , but he felt pretty bad knowing how much money he spent on things he didnt need , and sold some of the things he now did need .

Older and wiser now. I can remember thinking the grid would go down. Hey I still have the woodstove. Its been a good investment. i definitely saved the silver. Being a long term cynic has its benefits. lol

My wife didn’t leave me …. so all in all. She would wish I bought the river front property and farmland besides. You can not please women. Its a lost cause.

Profile photo of Confederate
    Confederate
    Survivalist
    member1

When both side are shooting at you, terrorizing you and in general making your life miserable, which side do you choose? Or do you choose one at all?

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.