Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

They have official border crossing like any other country , in the case of the Novo’s , the government waived some paperwork and expedited the proses for a time . This was for political reasons , and I’m not sure but , mainly for those that lived in the areas being shelled by the UAF , like Donetsk . There were Russians in Ukraine that would help the civilians get a visa , via on- line . They would apply , and if granted , they would go to one of the crossing points to finalize the paperwork , then cross over .Same there , if you get caught illegally , you are arrested and put in jail , have no idea what the penalty is . The Ukrainian army soldiers that crossed the border , did so openly , at an official crossing point , basically ” surrendering ” themselves to the Russians . The border guards understood the situation , and were generally sympathetic . The Russians were not expecting that to happen , and didnt really know what to do with them , so they set up a refugee camp temporarily , until they figured out what they wanted to do about the situation .

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

So if it is that difficult to cross other country’s borders, why does the US just allow it like we do? I am interested because of this:

If something happens here in the US then we have little chance of a reciprocated type allowance. If we go south, we will be facing a highly probable 2 years in prison. If we go north, then??? I know that they are not kind to people that don’t tow the taxes line just from articles I have read. Cuba – not likely. Haiti – again, not likely. Bahamas or run to Belize? Seriously, what would our chances be other than slim and none?

After reading the posts, it seems that most people stayed put or got jacked after leaving too late. I wonder what would have happened if people left earlier and before everything completely broke down.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Sled,
    1. We allow southern border Imigration because of long term planned changes to the US population base that will come to fruition in just 5 years. Brown skinned children will equal or exceed white skinned children in numbers. Believe it or not in 5 years it is happening.

2. If things go to $hit here, no other counrty will want us around. Leppers will be better received.

3. Where could a Ukrainian go? Their not a EU member or part of anything else. Who will allow them to stay? Only big money could get away for long term.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Sled ,
    thats just it , ideally a person would like to get to a better place before SHTF , but its the age old problem of knowing exactly when that would be .

74 , this is already happening to a degree in Europe , refugees are no longer welcome , they have been hit hard by muslims coming up through Turkey and Bulgaria . The Bulgarians have now put up a fence that is patrolled to keep them out . Muslim wetbacks basically .

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Here in the US, it takes 24 hours to mobilize FEMA, NG, large scale road blocks, etc., according to what I have read….. This means that any decisions to get out of dodge must be quick and within about 12 hours of the onset of whatever happens here in the States.

The problem comes with where to go…. We are pretty well stuck here, right? Guess it means that we either get our own bug out location, go Grizzly Adams, or hope Whirlibird will take us in.

I think Ukrainians are in the same boat as we are to a large degree. We are as stuck as they are.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

What does a cornered animal do ? it fights !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Sled,
    I think you’re pretty much on target but,
    What would the war be, or.
    What other event would cause nation wide check points.
    Really if our government goes nuts, then it’s a whole new ball game with new priorities, send the wife & kids to grandma’s.

I thought you were out in the wilderness already? I don’t think has Whirly enough water, soil, or a growing season. Lots of clean air though.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

After reading the posts, it seems that most people stayed put or got jacked after leaving too late. I wonder what would have happened if people left earlier and before everything completely broke down.

They were frogs and got slowly boiled doing last minute things. But its the insidious nature of the US that things break down in such an orderly way. The trap is sprung before they know it. All those people driving on the interstate knew it was snowing but they drove on anyway until the traffic slowed down and finally stopped. You can be three miles from home and spend the next 14 hours stuck. I’m sure the tow truck operators made a killing. Jacking is a way of life in the US. Learn to jack my son and you will never go hungry again.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

As has been seen again and again with hurricane evacuations, the difference between being stuck in an endless traffic jam and easily evacuating can be a fairly small window of time. Sled’s point about exiting following a SHTF event in the narrow window before govt. can mobilize is correct. If in doubt as to the implications of the SHTF event, or perhaps if the event is developing but hasn’t quite happened yet, 74 is on to something in his comment about sending the wife & kid’s to grandma’s. If the kids, elderly, or those with health or mobility issues can be gotten to a safer place early on, then it will be all the easier to do your own bug out when it is apparent that the time has come. One of my brothers saw this at the time of Tiananman Square when he was working for a major multinational in the Inner Mongolia region of China. As events were unfolding and no one knew where it was leading, his employer evacuated out of the country all of the spouses & children of the expats. Another aspect of acting early is if you think something is developing that might bring us to SHTF status, but it hasn’t reached the point where you need to make to go/no go decision, you can still do some preliminaries. You can fill the gas tanks on your vehicles and you can gather what you will take with you if you do decide to go. You can prepare a note for a neighbor telling them where you are going and asking them to look after your home if possible, and put it and a house key in an envelope so that it is all ready to drop off. You can pull out a checklist of final things to do before leaving such as turning off the gas and to avoid frozen pipes bursting turning off the water, draining lines, and putting some antifreeze in the toilets. If the “time to go” point isn’t reached you are none the worse for wear. Go pick up the kids and visit with grandma for a bit when you do.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

MtB Another tactic to consider. You’re in a Black Swan event and you know it. The house or business sits there and you want to evacuate but can’t. What you can do however is bring out some furniture into the front yard. Put a sign up. Everything must GO. FREE.

I’m talking about the US Embassy in Yeman, of course.

You may get a better class of looter. lol

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

74:

I am not out in the wilderness as of yet, but I have several locations already scouted out and my gear is packed into easily managed and transportable containers. My evac points/bug out locations are all based upon how bad things get and how far out we have to go…. I am actually getting mobile HAM station equipment set up now to be able to manpack as needed.

My concern with separating family is as such: Even kids can be taught to stand a post so even though you might be “protecting” them to some degree, you might actually be condemning both groups if you all get split up – two small groups or one larger group? Remember that many countries enlist 14-15 year olds directly into their military, the US included during certain times in our history. To protect the group I see no reason why a trained kid can’t help stand a daytime post watching a radio, cameras, motion sensors, etc.

Brulen:
    Preying upon the weak has been a favorite past time of the self appointed “powerful” for thousands of years. Protecting yourself in all situations against these vermin is the tough part. Personally, I think calling in sick with stomach issues the minute something looks sketchy so I can get a jump on bailing out is a great idea. At least you haven’t burned any bridges at your job if things turn out fine, you can get your gear ready for the 30 minute scoop and scoot if things get worse, and as importantly as that is getting to the grocery store before everyone else to stock up on what you might be short on. Recognizing the danger, planning before things get bad, and not being afraid to pull the trigger on a “sick day” or two while you bug out early seems like it is the main way to survive.

Oddly enough, MB just mentioned filling gas tanks… I was actually freaking a bit about being down to less than a 1/4 of a tank on my way into work today. Good thing I am leaving early because I worked late last night.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Down to a quarter tank yesterday sled? Must be getting soft in your old age. LOL

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

MB:

I KNOW!!!!!!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Sled,
    I agree about the kids and group. I was disassembling on a different vein concerning a nation waring with it’s self.

Mt Biker is spot on though with his comments.

As far as bugging out goes it is impossible to leave to early. If you bo and then what ever the event is unfolds weeks later you did the right thing. If you bo and weeks later the event cools off and normalcy is restored then no big deal, just go home.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Much depends on the BO.

Friend of mine bugged before y2k.
    A computer engineer, he was part of the fix for several companies.
    When the end was nigh, he sold his house, quit his iob, bought a bunch of gold, bullets and beans, and headed for the sticks.

After nothing happened, took him almost 6 months to get back in the industry. He figured it cost him upwards of $300k between taxes, the river place and lost wages.

You can bug too early, it just depends on the situation.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.