Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I purchased 3 of these knifes and found them to be very good quality, sharp, and very cheap. I think I will buy more of them for trade when the SHTF times.
    Mora Knife 1
    Mora Knife 2

They are priced at $14.65 with free shipping. Here is the link to Amazon,

http://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Companion-Outdoor-Military-4-1-Inch/dp/B004TNWD40

Make sure you look at the right hand side for the Other Sellers on Amazon were you will find two sellers selling them for $14.65.

This are great!

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

it’s really a good knife for the money. I got one at a gun show a few years ago. The minute I picked it up I liked it. Same design as yours but it had a full leather sheath almost to the end of the handle. Made for the laps I think. A snow country design used for carrying around the neck for quick accessibility.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of Brulen Brulen.
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Dollar for dollar, you will be hard pressed to find a better choice than the Mora’s for hunting and general purpose use.

No, they aren’t fighting knives, not built to baton dozens of trees, but you can cut up a deer and filet a fish with the same knife, unlike most “survival” blades.

A modern Puuko style, there’s no guard to speak of, its a basic grind that can be sharpened with a rock, and no they aren’t some wonder steel that will last 126 years before they need sharpened.

Good knife find.
    May have to order a couple for the kids.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Agree Whirlibird, I also like them for trade if there is a SHTF times, these knifes will be very valuable then and for the price you can’t get a better knife for under $15. If we have a collapse of the economy many will need a good knife for cutting deer and filet a fish.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Moras are awesome, carbon steel blades. Their spines are not squared off so you need to do that if you plan on using it with a firesteel. They are also not a full tang so be careful of that if you thought you could baton with them. WB is correct, however. The Morakniv line are incredible, stay sharp, quickly sharpen back up after hard use, and are really just an incredible piece of gear. I don’t think anyone should go without a Mora of some type in their pack.

Personally, I like the Classic 1 and I usually make rawhide sheaths for them. This pic is more about the sheath than the knife. Completed, this knife ended up with a stripped dark stained handle with cuts to enhance the grip.

[attachment file=”mora.jpg”]

http://ageofdecadence.com

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

sledjockey, Your rawhide sheath is a great idea. Also want to point out that I own the stainless steel which is the same size. I use it for fishing in salt water. It is very good for the price.

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

Just to throw this in the conversation. The Sami are the indigenous population in Scandinavia. ‘Lapp’ is actually regarded as a very derogatory term by the Sami. Friction only sheaths are very popular for the cold conditions as using snaps or fasteners with bulky gloves is very problematic. I should point out ‘neck knife’ style of carry is virtually non-existent in these far northern climes. ;)

I’m a big Mora fan, have a number of their knives, loan them to students on courses and agree they make a great gift.

I prefer the stainless steel to carbon personally… I also like leather sheathes. These plastic ones turn very brittle in the cold and break quite easily.

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Have a stainless steel Mora in every vehicle, and can’t list the times it came it handy. At the price you can not beat them. The are durable, sharp and can take a beating.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Hi Toby, you mean belt carry is more popular with the Sami. I only call them Lapps because I’m a fan of Pathfinder and it’s easier to remember subtitles. but as far as carrying a knife with a rather bulky down coat on I’m more likely to to carry it on a cord over the shoulder around the neck and stuffed into a deep pocket. After falling on XC skies and downhill skies a few hundred times I’m a firm believer in tying everything on.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Funny the neck knife concept has come up involving a puuko. The puuko sheath with its hanger is designed to keep the knife in the sheath even if the user isn’t upright. While not the strongest, and certainly not fast, it is a design with centuries of use and adaptation, and has survived to today.

Thinking back, I can’t remember a single picture or mention of neck style carry among the northerners.

It seems to have evolved from the American “patch knife” as opposed to a general purpose belt knife, in both function and location.

And despite living within spitting distance of the Bridger Valley, neck carry is a fail in my book. It’s too easy to ‘hang’ yourself in the timber.

Secondly, it’s an unnatural location for hands to move to and takes more time in an emergency. Combine that with the bouncing and swinging, it can be impossible to find sometimes. Been there, done that.

I’ve tried it, and just can’t get into neck carry of a knife. A compass and ferro rod, yes. And then stuck in a pocket. But the knife stays on the belt or pocket.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Whirlibird Whirlibird.
    Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

WB

Living in Ny I’ve tried to research a number of weapons the Iroquois carried. Across the frontier into the Ohio valley I can say the most common weapon is probably the tomahawk. In that regard with a weapon of such magnitude I think some Indians didn’t carry knives at all. Except for small skinning knives and flint. However I have seen pictures of Iroquois carrying neck knives and flintlocks. They usually ran or jogged for long distances on woods trails they knew very well. Traditionally they might have carried a bow & arrows with a war club. But as the frontier war expanded and guns became available they didn’t hesitate to adopt the better weapon. Longer knives seem to have become more common over time. To some extent indians may have been influenced by the Long Knives as they call white men of Virginia who carried swords. There’s a range of dress for war among eastern Indians that is pretty fantastic. I would say nothing was uniform. Paint on the faces, colorful clothes ripped off the bodies of their enemies. Scalps and ears. There were knives of all sizes traded for furs. Iroquois didn’t just kill their enemies, they butchered and tortured them to death. Belt knife or neck knife may have been equally common. Pouch knife would be equivalent to our pocket knife.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Actually the ‘northerners’ I was referring to are the Lapps, Finns and the rest of the “Norsemen”.

The Indian tribes varied too much to attribute any one style or method to one group in particular, especially after the whites showed up and things became even more muddled.

And the ‘historic’ local connection:

http://fortbridgerrendezvous.net/

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Whirlibird Whirlibird.
    Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

I’ve noticed the neck pistol has replaced the knife as the reach for weapon, at least on the soldiers seen patrolling the streets of Paris. The state of martial law continues unrelieved.

Profile photo of Corvus
    Corvus
    Survivalist
    member4

Freedom buddy I’ve given a few away to leaders in our group. Funny how something so well made can be “inexpensive” and is still be available and few know about it. Mora blades are morale boosters for people in my group, it is a nice fixed blade. “If it ain’t raining, we’re not training” Getting ready for camping — but some of the women would want us do go “glamping” with all the comforts of a mobile home.

Profile photo of Corvus
    Corvus
    Survivalist
    member4

Here’s one knife I’ve recently acquired. Japanese steel.

[attachment file=”IMG_20170325_203034_081-1.jpg”]

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.