Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

MIT engineers test a low tech water filter which you can make with some low cost items from your hardware store.

http://www.boston.com/news/science/blogs/science-in-mind/2014/03/05/mit-engineers-test-low-tech-water-filter-inspired-nature/NSCr2KcepwV238vb7TjT6N/blog.html

I already purchased all the items needed to make 10 of these as a backup once my other filters die on me in a total SHTF. if you do this and add a small bleach to the filtered water you may have a solution to clean water.

I like how easy it is and how low tech it is.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Good stuff Freedom, and so simple!

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Very interesting. I’ll have to follow developments with this innovation. Potential is there.

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

It sure sounds like a great stop gap measure, if you have nothing else. A drop of chlorine would help out the cause.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

This… is probably one of the coolest things I have ever seen…

Any word on whether different species of pine give better results?

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

I totally agree with Malgus on this, This cool. Cant wait to hear more!

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Pretty neat. May have to make a few of these if the further testing proves it to be a good means of cleaning your water.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Freedom,
    Thanks so much for sharing this!
    Can’t wait to try it!
    When you build them and try them out, please let us know how it works out!
    Hannah

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Hey guys,
    I hate to be bummer and all, but that is what you call a plug. No usable amount water will pass through it unless it was placed under a lot of pressure. From the article ” how fluids behave at the smallest scales”

If you want to make a simple home made filter you should be looking at the GPM you can get. A good filter can be made easily though, I saw someone demonstrating how to a few years ago online, I’ll see if I can google it up. Basically charcoal in and new food grade plastic buckets stacked in a series.

I buy Life Straws for portability. They will filter 1000 liters per straw. Commercially available for about $20 each.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

I think it worth it some testing.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Malgus, Not as of know but I think all pine trees are good maybe oak too. I am going to test this out. The idea is is the water is dark and it come out clear then you can add a drop of chlorine and you are done.

I will be testing them out soon and will post what I find.

Remember this is for when you are out of options and filters.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Freedom,
    Red oak has some porosity while white oak has a closed cell structure. White oak is non permeable making it the choice for cooperage. When you do your test measure the time it takes to fill your collection container.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

1974t150v, will do the timing, I will see some time this week. I just finished with the flu four days. Today is when I am back about 80% I think tomorrow will be 100% so I will get on the test.

I purchased everything for it so I am ready to go.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Awesome freedom! Hope this turns out well.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I will be testing with pine, will see if I can get some soon. White or red oak does not work I did a test and the porosity is very closed. I will update when I get the pine.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.