Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

There are some members who have dropped out of sight here without saying they were leaving.

Two I am conscious of are early member Hannah [who hasn’t been here for months], and more recently tweva. There were some homesteaders who were with us in the early days but have disappeared. There may be others. There are some who announced they would be gone for a while because of life commitments, which is fine, but I’m wondering about those who just abruptly stopped being here.

I’ve found before that often people drop out of forums for a variety of reasons, but one is often they feel upset at something that was said or they don’t like the direction the forums were going. I remember Hannah as a gentle soul, and tweva’s last posts seemed to want other’s posts to be more positive and not driven by fear.

Does anyone know why various people have dropped out from this forum? It’s been the wish of Selco, Jay and I to have a well rounded forum where many different people could feel at home and say whatever they want [within the rules]. Maybe there are issues that can be addressed if we know what they are. If anyone knows anything I’d like to hear about it. Thanks.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I am not sure. I have not seen a post by Gypsy Wanderer Husky ether.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Well Husky did mention being gone from June through the end of August’ish, so her absence is expected.
    Tweva was last here some 2 weeks ago, and had mentioned some of the negativity that seems to abound on this sort of site, hopefully she didn’t pack her bags.

Hannah, I can’t remember any particular thing that may have put a burr under her saddle and got her to packing.

I know in my case, life sometimes just gets in the way.
    Right now, I’m in between jobs as it were, one is soaking and another is drying.
    With a few minutes to spare, why not hit the forum.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Hmm well Tweva was tired of all the news threads with little discussion about actual prepping. I think some of the others just don’t like the good old boy remarks.

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Gypsy is currently off grid, so her not being here is understandable. As for the others, I’ve no clue. Some people just don’t bother with some forums after some time (I’m guilty of that), and some others just leave for whatever reasons they have, without notice.

There have been plenty that have posted a bit on here and then just never come back, and it is somewhat annoying since they do contribute some good stuff in there little time spent here, but we do have a pretty solid core group that is slowly expanding. Hopefully we’ll keep growing, even if it is slow, so that we can continue to share tips and ideas, and as well to just converse with people of similar mindsets.

But, it is still in the nice weather months, people could just be busy with life and prepping. Hopefully we will see some of the regulars who’ve left start coming back in the next couple months.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I know tweva was a little tired of the negative and was wanting more posts on actual survival and prepping. She is busy and doesn’t like to waste time on things she can’t control. I admit I get caught up in the news of the day posts a lot. One trend I have noticed that may be contributing to diminishing survival content is the people posting. Not that there is anything wrong with the people or their posts but the core group that posts has been here for a while. When we first started posting it was a buffet of ideas, suggestions and knowledge. We were all happy to share and we learned a lot from each other. I mean there are VOLUMES of info in the thread archives. As time passed and the posters didn’t change much, well in a sense we ran out of things to say about survival. You can only talk about ways to build a fire so many times or BOB load outs, knife preferences and all the other aspects of surviving. I know we haven’t covered everything but it would help a great deal if people other than the core group would post not just comment. Maybe some of the newcomers don’t have much experience and are afraid of looking foolish. Maybe some of them don’t want to tell their secrets. Who knows. All of you here have taught me a great deal. Your different points of view have helped me rethink and solidify my own views. For that I am forever greatful. Thank you. For you new folks, never be afraid to ask a question or share something you found. No one here is going to call you an idiot or try and embarrass you. We are a sort of family here and we help and look out for each other. You may get asked some pointy questions or get some strong opinions but we are all here to learn from each other. So throw it out there and see what comes out in the wash. The only dumb question is the one you didn’t ask.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

matt76 is right on with his post. Thank you for taking the time writing what is happening.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks Elijah!
    Yes, I think too that Husky mentioned that she is going to be off grid some time (like every year as I remember).
    What Matt76 says here also have sense to me.

Important thing too is that new members, or beginners in prepping may feel free to contribute here their ideas, for example I do not consider myself smartest man on the earth in prepping ,I am learning too, always, and there is something to learn even from the beginners.
    So feel free to share.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

No wonder I had the thought to check the forum. My ears were burning. I am alive and well but busy as he**! That time of year. Whirly, I haven’t packed my bags, but 74 and Matt are right. Like many I have limited time and have to watch the use of it.

This time of year is harvest time. Busy. Plus I own 2 retail stores and all retailers are stewing and trying to predict and get ready for the fall/(gasp) XMas season. Unh. The ‘public’ are a mess and so nervous/freaked – have never seen it this bad in 26 some years. Add in care of my elderly (often annoying) father? Puh.

Farm news: rice trial went well! We had an unusual amount of rain and cooler than normal summer weather here. that was nice. No I have to teach myself about threshing it (have done other grains but each has a few differences). Had derechio winds last week (straight line wind and rain). Took out 2 medium size trees and, sigh again, one enormous old oak tree I couldn’t even get my arms half way around. Broke a bunch of fence – wondering what to do about the enormous stump and pit it has created. More work (horses and cattle use the paddock it was in).

For now the fields are dragged and limed. Livestock is doing well. Most summer crops harvested and mostly canned or dried. Apples and remaining berries next up. Lettuce, kale, beets (for animals) are planted, up and growing. Oh, have four new additions to the family of four footed creatures here – see pics (you can see a mess of leaves/rubble in the top right of the one photo – that’s a far away view of the huge oak we tackle today. To say it doesn’t do it justice is a vast understatement.) Appaloosas and the big guy is half app/half thoroughbred.

Will try and post something for you all to think about before I go put on the gloves, hook up the log splitter and rustle up the big, big chain saw and wait for my blessed male friends to arrive. Thank goodness they love good coffee and home made ham and cheese biscuits – they are cheap dates/help!

Be well – I’ll post when I can.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Hi Twee!
    If you are feeling ambitious and don’t want that stump to be used as land fill there could be a few places that would take it off your hands. Back when ships were made of wood, and men were made of iron, stumps were used in the ship building trade for knees (the natrural bend in the root). The active Seaport Museums with restoration shops might want it to saw into knees. St Michaels in MD, Mystic Sea Port in Connecticut, I’m pretty certain Norfork has a active museum. The Sultana Educational Foundation in Chestertown, Md might know who is building a ship now. Talk to John Swain at that shop. I just read that the Constitution in Boston is up for a rebuild, how cool would it be to have a piece of your farm buit into that ship?

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Beautiful horses. Nice to see you posting an update. Summer here in South Florida has been cooler too. Not sure why.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

TWEEEEEVVAAAA!!!!!! Great to hear from you. My you have been busy. It is always a shame to see those big mighty oaks go down. We lost several on our place a few years back because of the drought. Well at the very least you now have more firewood. Congrats on your harvest.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome back Tweva, it is nice to see you again!

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

I noticed this too – add Frozen Thunderbird, Ghost and Ghost Prime to the mix. I had Ghost Prime’s email and sent him one but no response. I did see him on another site in the past week though so nothing bad happened.

Glad to see Gypsy’s was planned and Tweva’s was only a short hiatus.

Matt76 – agree with you brother, I usually learn something(s) from everyone, even if it is a different perspective. I’m glad to have the old crew and the new crew both!

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Novus Ordo, We have on this forum all types of opinions that maybe some will not agree with but that is what we all are fighting for “FREEDOM, LIBERTY, and the U. S. CONSTITUTION”. So to have all three we will always have opinions that some will not like or agree with.

That is the most important part about this forum and there will always be some that will have a hard time with this freedom. They have a problem with opinions that are not opinion that they agree with.

Everyone here knows that I have a problem with communism and will hit back on anyone that thinks it is a beautiful thing but what everyone needs to know is I still respect there freedom to there opinion. That doesn’t mean that I will not post some hardcore opinions about communism.

I think the first ones on the forum like 74, tweva, Malgus, Tolik, and Whirlibird understand this very well. If you study the old post you will see many time were they as a group had many disagreement on many subjects but all respect that freedom and so do I.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.