Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

c wrote:
    My husband would say, every household should have an organized junk heap. Finding ways to reuse items that would be tossed out in a normal household is a good practice for an uncertain future… plus reusing items saves money… and having to make the money in the first place. Getting into the habit of going to the junk heap before driving down to the store changed our lives. Here’s one example of taking an old barbecue and transforming it into a potting bench.

http://goboxstorage.ca/blog/living-the-life-broken-barbecue-into-mobile-potting-bench/

I’m working on two projects right now. It takes time to figure these re-purposing projects out but I think they are good practice for an uncertain future.<br>
    1. I have old wool socks that get so full of holes that they can’t be repaired. Normally, people would just throw the old socks out but the upper part of the socks are always in good condition. I have cut off the leg part of the sock and cut the tube down the side. I will try sewing three of these pieces together to make a wool neck warmer for skiing.<br>
    2. I have a old pair of wool army pants that are coming apart at the seams everywhere. These pants have given me four years of hard use and I can’t seem to keep ahead of the seam repairs. (I have recently found another two pairs of these exact pants used.) I am thinking of cutting up the pants and making a haversack with the two cargo pockets. This would also give me repair materials for the other three pairs of pants.

PURCHASING MOTTO: I try to get away with buying very little. I always look to the used market before buying from the new market. When I do buy, I’m very careful of the quality. I avoid buying any item that will increase my waste stream in my household. When I do buy consumables with packaging, I choose the consumable with packaging I want and will be reusing in the household: buckets, pails, glass containers, etc. I try to reuse everything before I consider throwing it out. I don’t hoard, but I think having a junk pile to scavenge from is a good practice. I’m looking more and more towards natural materials in my local bioregion for solving my problems.

I was wanting “specifics” but your generalities are VERY Useful! Glad you checked in here, Miss C!

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

This is too funny c. I have that exact same grill since the late 80’s I think, except mine still works. Similar to your reuse, when we replaced the kitchen counters in the old house after I ruined one with a candle burn, I saved the straight pieces and have reused them in my current basement putting them on top of the old bathroom vanities that I saved when we remodeled our current house. I have all of my paint & stain cans on the counter tops and all of the associated painting/staining supplies below in the cabinets. I even hung the old medicine cabinets above them to hold the little cans.

I save old towels for use as rags and old sheets for use as drop cloths. All of the smaller pieces of scrap lumber from the renovations were saved for use as kindling. :Larger pieces of wood were kept for odd projects that come along. What I don’t do is keep a junk pile outside anywhere. Fortunately I have a detached 3 car garage with an upstairs to it (cross between barn & garage) which in combination with my basement, greenhouse/potting shed, and wood storage space gives me lots of storage. I keep my property looking kind of park-like.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Okay, specific and seasonal!

Right now is organic mandarin orange season. My girls love the oranges and I get them to keep the peels. Most people would discard the peels. We dehydrate the peel for use during the year or use them fresh. I have never done this but they would likely freeze well too. Mandarin orange peels can be use in all sort of food and desserts.

Here’s a household favorite just in time for Christmas.

http://eatkamloops.org/christmas-fruitcake-raw-cashew-marzipan-with-orange-peel-glaze/

Maybe you’re wondering why anyone would eat orange peel. Here’s what Mountain Roses says:
    “Peels from any member of the Sweet Orange family have been used in Traditional Chinese Medicine at least since the writing of the Divine Husbandman’s Classic of the Materia Medica, written in the second century BC. The little known fact is that there are substantially more enzymes, flavonoids, and phyto-nutrients in the peel of the Orange rather than the fruit. The peel is where all the essential components accumulate and they may be found in three main sections of the peel; the flavedo, albedo, and oil sacs.

It is believed that the Sweet Orange has its origins in China and from here it has been cultivated in virtually every country across the globe with most of the current production coming from Florida, California and parts of the Mediterranean: Vitamin C, Vitamin B1, Choline, Folic Acid, over 60 known flavonoids, d-limonene, alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, aldehydes, numerous minerals and vitamins.”

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

MountainBiker, someone gave us that grill for free because they were moving. (One of the perks of running a mobile storage company.) We used it for two years before it totally broke down.

We replaced it with another used stainless steel barbecue for about $60. We found another stainless steel unit with a counter and sink for $15 that can be attached to a garden hose. This got me thinking about mobile kitchens using industrially produced barbecue equipment. :)

My husband also likes having a rag bag full of old towels. He loves cotton towels for rags. When a family has an ethic of reusing before using the garbage, the household becomes more efficient and will save money… and our most precious resource our life energy.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

This is all free stone. The retaining wall and granite flag stone. Stone is not micro but it is free and can be used for protective barriers.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

There is an cool thing on the internet called Freecycle , basically you type in where in the country you live and , you either list things that you want to get rid of , or things you would like , all free .

https://www.freecycle.org/

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Beautiful patio 74! At the old house I had put in a slate sidewalk set in 3/4″ stone. It had gotten ratty looking after many years and so when readying the house to put on the market I ripped it up for a new brick sidewalk to go in. I saved all the slates and hauled them to the new house for some future project, which turned into giving them to a new friend up here to build his own patio. No good deed goes unpunished as they say and when my wife saw how nice the new brick walkway came out at the old house, she wanted the exact same sidewalk at the new house to replace an extremely ratty looking one that was there. I took up the old one brick by brick figuring they’d come in handy for something, and eventually they did in the form of a border around the gazebo and greenhouse, eliminating the need to weed whack around them, and then between the house and the heat pump units, again eliminating the need to weed whack those spaces. I’ve still got a couple hundred left in a pile in the garage for something else that comes along.

The spirit of freecycle that Tolik posted, at the transfer station in my old town there was a spot that folks would leave books for the taking. I brought home more than a few useful, history, or classic books from there. Where I live now the transfer station guys will leave things out that might be useful to someone, and much of it gets taken. I had started saving egg cartons at one point and had a pile of about 50 when I learned a neighbor who was raising chickens needed some, so I just dropped them off one day and became a customer when they started selling eggs (only $2 a dozen!). Over the years I have given many useful (by someone else) things away that I saved in that manner.

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

FREE-Cycle ALONE was worth the effort! (hat tip Tolik!)

“74”, while your stone patio is not MICRO in your opinion, it fits this post perfectly!

Thanks for the Vitamin “C” and Choline, etc. Miss C! I was seeking a source of choline and had not looked online yet ;) Great Job, Everyone! You’re really expanding my mind here… :D

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

RGR,
    There is about 30 tons of stone total between the wall and the patio. But it was all free. The granite patio is all 1.25″ thick counter top material. It can be stacked to make fantastic walls.

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

74 wrote:

RGR,
    There is about 30 tons of stone total between the wall and the patio. But it was all free. The granite patio is all 1.25″ thick counter top material. It can be stacked to make fantastic walls.

I was thinking, that it would be a really nice layer for a “boolit barrier”
    Concrete blocks with cement fill is another good layer. Composite layers with loose fill in between, such as sand, varying the stuff so as to dissipate energy…

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

RGR,
    Exactly my intention, here are a few more examples of loose stone that can be used to fortify a position.

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

NICE!

Where are the pics? ;)

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.