Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

If you are new to preparedness and survival, keep in mind your neighbors should not know you have supplies that they might need in times of hardship. This is a simple security precaution all of us should take.

So if you post here, just give away information you are comfortable sharing. Most likely people want to know who they are dealing with. Here are some ideas what you could share.

• The area you live in, maybe the name of the city or town you live in as well
    • First name or nickname, gender & age
    • What kind of things you are interested in
    • What type of people you would like to meet
    • What kind of local threats and disasters you are preparing for

But what about the government / state agencies?

The short answer is, dont worry about posting here. The government has much easier ways to find out you are a prepper if they want to. They read your emails or track what websites you visit anyway. They filter their databases and thats it.

A bit longer answer.

Ever since Snowdens NSA leaks even the doubters know that the government pretty much records as much data it can. It is pointless and a big mess for a government to go out and try to find people by looking at forums if they can do this automatically. They have much more private details about you than what you should ever share in public.

They are hooked up with your Internet service provider and record the data traffic there. They simply filter through the websites you visit and create a profile based on that. Even the “private browsing” functions of Firefox or Chrome browsers will not prevent this.

The only way to prevent this (or at least make them unable to listen in unless you are directly targeted) is to get a VPN (Virtual Private Network) account. That way your whole traffic is encrypted so the data isnt easily read by any filters or whatever automatic data collection scripts the government has running at your Internet service providers network centers.

The data is also routed via one of these VPN servers so it is not easy for the government to find out who visited a certain website because website operators only see the shared ip of the VPN.

I speak more about this here and if you are a member of Selco’s One Year in Hell Course, you get access to a bonus Internet security course where I talk about this in more detail.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

There are a couple of us in the group that have a history of being preppers. When asked we just say yes we are preppers and leave it at that.
    We are members of state and regional groups.
    The “Triad” method works. “A” knows “B” and “B” knows “C.” “C” knows “A.” In many situations this really
    works as it limits exposure. “A” may be planning to bring folks to this location but understands that anyone
    who shows up with additional people is responsible for those folks and must have supplies.
    VPNs do work.

Robin

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

I’m not sure if I would be comfortable with that to be honest. The guys your friend introduces to the group know that you are a prepper and even if he is responsible for them will this really matter once SHTF?

I personally just tell people I know and trust and even then I don’t tell them I have food or water stored, just that I like survival and outdoor activities.

At the end of the day, this is just a personal preference and everyone has to decide for themselves where to draw the line of course.

Profile photo of osagemarine
    osagemarine
    Survivalist
    member3

I had a guy at work tell me when the SHTF he was coming to my house. I asked him if he had guns and ammo to protect him and his family, he said no. I asked him if he had food to feed him and his family, he said no. I asked him why not and he replied with they go on vacations and drive nice cars. I told him all looters would be shot.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

It is good idea, to meet and know other survivalists around you.
    Having group, and people that you can have trust in is most important thing, so it make sense to do something in that direction.

But please do not make mistakes of showing the wrong kind of folks that you are prepper. Whole thing of getting to know other preppers, and letting them in your plans needs to be slow and careful process in my opinion.

So just go slow and careful.

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Thanks Jay & Selco – good advice all around.  I enjoy conversations that skirt the edges of prepping, but am hesitant to let out too much at the beginning.  If some asks “Are you a prepper?” I usually just tell them I was a Boy Scout which sounds very benign to most people although the BS motto is “Be Prepared”.

Osagemarine – Had my assistant tell me the same thing.  He’s got a couple pistols and no family, but I don’t think I’d want him long term.  We get along professionally, but that’s it.  I’m hoping he didn’t mean it.

K

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Makes sense K.

I think its important to look out for team players and not selfish people. Selfish people will fall into your back once they feel they have to suffer a bit too much for their liking.

I’m not a prepper but I love to live a self sufficient lifestyle. That’s pretty much what I also admit, when talking to people.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Novus Ordo wrote:</div>Thanks Jay & Selco – good advice all around. I enjoy conversations that skirt the edges of prepping, but am hesitant to let out too much at the beginning. If some asks “Are you a prepper?” I usually just tell them I was a Boy Scout which sounds very benign to most people although the BS motto is “Be Prepared”.

K

If you are saying the motto is bullsh!t, you were not a Boy Scout!
    I think you might be saying the Boy Scout Motto is “Be Prepared”
    which is true! If you were a Boy Scout, you know it is not Bull Sh!t lol

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

There are any number of different preppers out there, some honest snd trustworthy, others like the “raider” idiot off doomsday preppers who interestingly was a felon in possession of firearms and went back to jail thanks to the show.

Build trust slowly, like any friendship, if you can.
    Sometimes you are thrown together by circumstances and have no option but to work together and extend a certain amount of trust.

As to the “BS” Boy Scout motto, obviously NO was not a Scout and does not know how its applied in Scouting and life. As a current troop committee member and former Scoutmaster, I can say that it is the principle that has kept many alive, including myself.
    It isn’t just a motto but a philosophy.

Profile photo of Xenolith
    Xenolith
    Survivalist
    member1

What was SAID in the Boy Scout post was The BS (as in INITIALS for B oy S cout) motto was “Be Prepared”. You guys don’t know that BS is used as an acronym? Come on, get off the guys back. I was in BS back in the 70’s when the BS wasn’t BS.

Profile photo of Gentolman
    Gentolman
    Survivalist
    member2

I have had similar conversations with people I know. I ask them if they have a skill to offer other than the ones I have and the answer is usually no. I tell them that if they had taken the money their family spends on their vacations for the past 10 years, they would be ready too.

Everyone thinks you owe them something. I am the type to always deposit more in a relationship account that what I withdraw. Some people do not realize that and have to be reminded of everything you ever did for them and take a look at what they have done for you.

The result is normally pretty humiliating to them and if they walk away then good riddance. The only people I have sympathy for are the ones that are working so hard and can hardly make ends meet from no fault of theirs.

Profile photo of Gentolman
    Gentolman
    Survivalist
    member2

I am very lucky that we have two survival stores in my area. They have some workshops and you can go to them at very low cost and meet other people. The people are spread all over but at least if you needed to contact them, you would not be a stranger. A barter system can work pretty well. I take the opportunity to invest in friendship with preppers that are within a one hour drive too.

One day you may be on the move and need to stop somewhere safe for the night. I also found a source for a pretty decent folding mountain bike at Walmart for $250. If a person were to get caught 20 to 100 miles from home and all electronics stopped working, it would cut your time to get home in half. Could take you a week to get home from 100 miles, especially if you had to move slow or at night to avoid other people. It would be better to avoid contact with everyone on the way home. If a man is traveling with a woman who only had her work shoes, high heels, with her and trying to get home, you could die for the pair of shoes you have on. She would not be getting home even from 50 miles away wearing high heels and he would know it and do what he had to do to get her home. It seems cruel and inhumane but that is the way people are.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

The tough love thing for the lady would be to knock the high heels off those fancy shoes so she can move easier ;)

Good Info, GentolMan!

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

It always made me cringe when movies show the heroine in high heels, trying to navigate the wilderness while being “saved” by the hero. Sorry, girls–I never wear shoes I can’t walk at least a few miles with…even for dress. (comfy leather flats with good soles.) Mostly wear rugged outdoor hiking sneakers etc. The best BOB is useless if you are unable to travel…

Profile photo of etxgranny
    etxgranny
    Survivalist
    member2

“The best BOB is useless if you are unable to travel”… well said wildartist!

I use to wear heels but for the last ten years I wear nothing higher than a boot heel. Comfort and durability has replaced all my fashion footwear. Working a homestead calls for mucking boots, sneakers, well-worn walking boots. I did buy sandals this year to wear to a wedding. Indoors the first thing that comes off are my shoes…love barefeet!

Now back to Original Post: I agree that too much talk can/will give away too much information. It is essential to network with other preppers as you may need their assistance one day. However specifics of our group never go beyond the property fences. This is why I use a pseudonym when I teach, write articles and meet new preppers. I am recognized from speaking to many groups but eastern Texas is a big area so come and find me! There is a big difference between being smart and safe; but do not allow yourself to have loose lips.

Ponder this: is the vehicle I travel in mine? Are the plates! So you find out my “real name” are you sure I am that person? I have been drilled on escape and evasion for the last 22 years. I am not invincible but I keep OPSECS as much as anyone can….it matters!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.