Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

This is not a shtf or prepping food, but one for the good times.

My recipe involves lamb, but I have done it with beef and I dare say other meats could be used, or even a combination of different ones, or with cooked potatoes.

To make a family sized lamb meat pie to feed several people I use 1 kilogram [2 pounds] of lamb cut into small chunks [it tastes better than mince] and a little olive or other oil [important because without oil the meat will seem dry after cooking] and enough water [or a suitable liquid stock] to keep the meat covered while simmering in a pot on the cooker with recommended herbs [lamb is good with rosemary, thyme, sage and two bay leaves].
    Cook until tender [the time for this varies according to the toughness of the cut that you are using; a hour of simmering for lamb is usually enough]. Be ready to add more water if some is lost through steam.

When cooked to tenderness take out the bay leaves and then stir in some flour in cold water [or premade gravy mix] to combine with the hot meat and water to make a gravy that is stiffer than you would usually make for a roast meal. This is because if the gravy isn’t somewhat stiff it will run out when you cut the pastry for serving.
    Taste the final result: the flavour should be a little stronger than usual because the pastry mellows the taste and you’ll need to compensate. This is the time I add any salt, because western diets are too high in salt and if hypertension is an issue you can better control the amount of salt used at this stage. Add whatever gravy flavorings you like at this stage until you get a result you like the taste of [I like adding Knorr or Maggi liquid seasoning and MSG, which adds a fuller flavor and contrary to the hype, most people are not sensitive to it].

Roll out some top and bottom puff pastry for a family-sized pie dish [though I use the pre-made frozen pastry sheets].
    Either oil the pie dish or use baking paper to prevent the pastry from sticking to the dish.
    Lay in a lower pastry sheet into the dish, then pour the meat and gravy into the dish.
    Then lay a second pastry sheet over the top and crimp the pastry edges to seal the pie.
    Baste the top pastry with either beaten egg and water or milk to make the pastry turn brown while cooking. Spike the top with a few holes to allow steam to escape while baking. Trim the excess pastry from around the edges; you can use the spare pastry as decorative additions to the top of the pie.

Put the pie dish into a pre-heated oven at 180 Celsius [350F] for about 35-40 minutes, checking at the 25 minute mark to ensure all is going well. Be prepared to rotate the dish if the pie appears to be browning more on one side than the other.

When brown take the pie out and slide the pie [that’s why I said to use baking paper or oil] onto a serving dish with low sides [so you can cut serving slices more easily], and everyone can get into some belly-satisfying good tucker.

If there are any leftovers they can be refrigerated and reheated in the oven or the microwave, or given to the family dog who would probably welcome a tasty feed as much as anyone.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

elijah now this sound real good, you are making me hungry. I make dinner about 50% of the time for the wife and I get rewarded well.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.