Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

I work with a firearms instructor on refining/polishing my skills around use of handguns. Been shooting for years and have concealed carry permit but it’s nice to check in with an expert that does training all the time. He got his mentoring from Clint Smith at Thunder Ranch. Anyway topic of barrel length came up and thought it was interesting to see Massad Ayoob take on it. Article has Glock focus… thought I’d share.

‘Massad Ayoob: Are Long-Barreled Handguns More Accurate?’

http://dailycaller.com/2014/06/02/massad-ayoob-are-long-barreled-handguns-more-accurate/

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

chester thank you for the link to the article, I found it very interesting to read. Like the Glock 26!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Interesting article considering how often you hear that a longer sight radius makes it easier to aim. Personally I never found much difference between 3″ or 6″ barrels. Mostly the configuration of the rear sight blade has always made the biggest factor in accuracy for me. Once I started wearing blended lenses, accuracy using iron sights at targets beyond 10 yards is wishful thinking.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Yep. It’s a bit counter intuitive –on some days I shoot more accurately with Glock 26 than Glock 17! I can’t say enough about quality training with someone with real world expertise. In SHTF handguns have an important role–easily concealed and have one (or two) on you all the time. I’m also working on revolver skills with my ‘personal trainer.’ We have Thunder Ranch down the road https://www.thunderranchinc.com/home/index.html

The Utah concealed carry permit is helpful in the high level of reciprocity Utah has with other states.

Be safe!

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

They certainly can be.
    My little G30 will regularly outshoot most long barreled guns, I proved this again both during and after a class recently.
    My old G21 was a pig, 4″ groups at 25y were all it could manage, but it was a consistent 4″. No matter bench or offhand, who was shooting, or what ammo, it shot 4″.
    The G30? Lets just say that milk jugs at 75y are not safe. I made a second round hit on a Stetson sized rock at 220y, when a customer went 0 for 6 with a 7.5″ Ruger. And he is no slouch as a shooter.

Much has to do with barrel lockup and dwell time. The little Glocks for example stay locked up just a touch better and longer than their larger bretheren. The new Gen 4 guns, they are a great improvement over the earlier guns, accuracy wise thanks to the new recoil system.

Ammo becomes the big variable, some guns prefer one load, while another prefers another. My first G21 absolutely hated Winchester ball ammo, spraying it across the countryside but shooting Federal ball into nice tight groups.

In general I will say that mechanically, most of the time, most short barreled guns are no less accurate than longer barreled guns. But I will also agree with the statement that its easier to be accurate with a longer sight radius.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Well put Whirlibird! One of Ayoob’s favorite carry guns was the G30 for long time. My 9mm guns are all Glock. I’ve been on a bit of a revolver push lately but the G19 is my carry piece (Gen3). In the woods typically .357 unless I’m in Alaska and it’s .44 or 10mm.

Profile photo of Xocjm
    Xocjm
    Veteran
    member4

I work in the gun industry and I can tell you that barrel length is less important than the fit of the gun in your hand. There is no right answer to what is more accurate. I am a big fan of full size 1911’s but of all my guns I am most accurate with my Ruger SR9C. If you are purchasing a gun I highly recommend going to a range and renting a few to find out what fits your hand the best because that is what you will shoot the best and the most accurate at any range.

bushrat
    bushrat
    Survivalist
    member4

Over the years, I have found that I indeed shoot somewhat better with a significantly longer barrel, but at the same time the type of sights make a tremendous difference to me also. Six of one, half a dozen of the other, eh.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Man, what a subject…

The only thing I will add to Whirl and to Xoc is that the only way to tell which pistol or revolver is more accurate than another is to eliminate variables. As many as you can.

That means bolt the guns in a machine rest and shoot both with the same ammo under the same conditions at the same distance at the same altitude. And even THEN… Two guns, made within minutes of each other – right next to each other on the production line and made by the same guy – might show marked preferential differences for different brands of ammo. Gun 1 might like Brand X. Gun 2 – it’s sister gun and by all accounts it is physically identical to Gun 1 – might hate Brand X and prefer Brand Z.

The only things a longer barrel got over a shorter barrel is a longer sight radius and higher velocity (all things being equal). That’s it. “Accuracy” is independent of the shooter and a quality of a particular gun/ammo combination.

Whether or not the shooter can capitalize on the full accuracy potential of a particular piece? Well, that’s the big question, innit?

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.