Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

While many of you know Thailand for its beaches, good food and maybe also lovely women the volatile power structures here are always good for some surprises.

It’s this time of the year again. We had plenty of demonstrations in Bangkok for months now in which about 30 people got killed (usually because of shootings between the two different factions) and the army has always said they don’t side with any political party.

This seemed to have stopped now. Since yesterday at 3am we have martial law in Thailand. (BBC | Fox)

That means all major intersections and strategic locations throughout Bangkok and other bigger cities are now secured by the army.

What does this mean for the country?

While the army did open fire on demonstrators like in the Black May Massacre in 1992 with 52 (officially) confirmed deaths, overall nothing changes for our every day life here.

I was already in Bangkok in 2006 when one morning on my way to work I saw tanks rolling down the main street where I lived. A few days later everything got back to normal just that we had a different government.

It will be interesting what happens now. If the army overreacts one of the political parties and their supporters could take it to the streets and fight it, but the army here is so powerful I doubt anyone would try.

Thai’s also do not have the mentality to really stand up to their government. This is still very much a class based society where most people accept that the rich people run the show and they have little or no influence on that.

Background about the political troubles

We have 2 major parties here in Thailand. They have nicknames because their supporters stick to certain colors. The “yellow shirts” who wear yellow to honor the king and the “red shirts” who support one of the richest men of Thailand, a guy called Thaksin who claims to fight for the rights of the poor people.

Both parties have different supporters. The yellow shirts are supported by most people in Bangkok and a powerful group of people with connection to the Royal family. In simple terms the yellow shirts are the upper class, while the red shirts are mostly from the poor north of Thailand.

In the past months the yellow shirts have demonstrated to kick out the red shirt prime minister who is the sister of Thaksin. Thaksin himself fled the country after the 2006 army coup that ousted him as prime minister, after which the yellow shirts got back into power.

The problem the yellow shirts have is democracy. There are so many red shirt supporters because there are so many poor people (whose votes can also easily be bought) that the yellow shirts keep losing elections.

At the end of the day it is just about who gets rich. The yellow gang or the red gang. Once someone is in power their uncle starts a construction company or the brother of some relatives wife gets the new contract to equip all schools in Thailand with new air conditioning units. So he sets up a company for that, buys very cheap air conditioning units from China, gets them shipped to Thailand, labels them as more powerful air conditioning units and puts them up in all the schools. You get the idea, its not that different to huge military or other government contracts in other countries that channel tax payer money into the pockets of a chosen few.

What this means for me

I will move to our remote homestead in a few days anyway so that’s good. Being in Bangkok like I am right now (even without proper preps because most of it is already at our homestead) is one of the last places I would want to find myself if now SHTF.

Luckily so far foreigners here have a bit of a special status and no one wants to touch them. Crime against foreigners is incredibly low as well. Most of my friends in Bangkok will not really change their routines as well (but they are not preppers).

Thanks to social media and some of the demonstration maps you usually know where not to go and can avoid it. That’s what everyone has been doing for the last couple of months and in all the years before.

It is weird you hear someone got shot on the street where you went shopping yesterday but the violence so far is very much contained and predictable.

I get back now to pack more stuff for our move to our homestead but I thought this perspective from the ground could be interesting for some of you. If you have any questions, just let me know. Some more photos here.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Jay,

Glad to hear you are making your move. I saw a news piece about a month ago on the demonstrations.  It didn’t occur to me that you were in Bangkok.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Yeah, I might even delete this thread at some point in the future. I just thought it might be interesting and so I share what’s going on. I also have friends here who work for international news agencies who cover whats going on at the frontlines (one of them got shot in the leg 3 years ago doing this). Let’s see how this unfolds.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Jay, I am happy you are prepared and have a homestead. Good luck and please keep us updated.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Will keep you in our prayers. Be safe.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Thanks everyone! :)

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Luckily so far foreigners here have a bit of a special status and no one wants to touch them. Crime against foreigners is incredibly low as well. Most of my friends in Bangkok will not really change their routines as well (but they are not preppers).

Usually what goes with that is envy (more or less) and when the SHTF for real it can turn to the rage and hate toward foreigners, and sometimes (by some logic) they will be accused for all bad that is happening.

So it is good thing to pay extra effort to be very good prepared for SHTF.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

I think Selco’s point is also a valuable one. If you are ever a tourist in a foreign country… make damn sure you could learn how to blend in very quickly!

Profile photo of Ghost Prime
    Ghost Prime
    Survivalist
    member6

Also, Selco’s comments seem to be a source of hope for those of us in America who see immigrants, legal and illegal, as being enemies of our country and its ways since they are openly and defiantly unwilling to assimilate as have all immigrants in the past.

Since they refuse to assimilate, they are potential threats as they have no loyalty to America. Loyalty has been addressed here so those who are adamantly unwilling to become loyal to America rather than retaining some loyalty to another country or to an ideology that wants to destroy America, are by definition enemies of America and should be deported. When the SHTF, wise Americans will recognize the danger posed by those ungrateful immigrants and will deal with them accordingly.

For God, Family, Country, & Liberty!

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Ghost Prime, I agree 100%, if they do not want to learn English and work like all of us do then they need to get the hell out of this Country. I am tired of any immigrant complaining about this Country. If they do not like it here then they need to leave.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

For years I had to deal with immigrants,  legal and criminal.

The legal worked to fit in generally, the criminal?

Well they didn’t try and didn’t care to. Nothing invested in earning their way here, so why try. The cultural differences make it even worse.

And much the same as foreigners in other countries,  not being a native, you don’t have the connection,  the investment,  the history as the natives, which makes you a target, a scapegoat.

The past place I lived, after ten years in the community,  I was tolerated, in another 30, I might have been accepted, but I would never have been a local. My kids yes, but not me. And that’s marrying into the community too.

And if you don’t look like a local, when it hits the fan, you will be the first one targeted.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

It is not only about people who are failing to “fit in” and assimilate. I am talking mainly about people who are different from the majority of people around them.

It can be race and nationality, but not necessary. It could be things like occupation, or expression of different opinions, for example such things like being apolitical or similar.

Simply when SHTF people want someone to be guilty, and mostly they pick folks different from them.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Selco wrote:
    It is not only about people who are failing to “fit in” and assimilate. I am talking mainly about people who are different from the majority of people around them. It can be race and nationality, but not necessary. It could be things like occupation, or expression of different opinions, for example such things like being apolitical or similar. Simply when SHTF people want someone to be guilty, and mostly they pick folks different from them.

I agree completely, and hence my last comment “if you don’t look like a local, when it hits the fan, you will be the first one targeted”.

Most places I’ve lived, the “race” factor didn’t mean as much as other places.In deepest darkest Chicago or Detroit, if you don’t look like a local, you’re a victim now, let alone after SHTF.

Around here, there are those, hispanics for example that fit in and nobody notices, they are part of the community. Then there are those that don’t fit in, that stand out and make trouble for everyone. These will likely be taken care of quickly, by the hispanics that are locals if for no other reason than they make the good ones look bad and they lose face. But then this is a small city (12,000) and everybody knows everybody and most are related in some form or fashion.

One of my customers and friends is black. One of the very few in this area. He grew up here, is a cowboy along with other things. He’s part of the background and goes unnoticed, at least here. Put him in Detroit? Not good, for them most likely.

Me? There are a number of places I could go and at least look like the locals. Other places, like Thailand or other asian countries, I’d stand out like Godzilla, for better or worse.

And if you don’t look like a local, when it hits the fan, you will be the first one targeted.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Blending in and becoming a valuable member of the community in the area where I move to is priority number one. People in Thailand stick together against foreigners but we get a special treatment because we are considered rich (which also makes us prime targets once SHTF). Im under no illusion that this is going to be the case.

Why it still makes sense for me to make this move is that people over there are already very very poor. Most people grow most of the food they eat. The crime rate is still very low because those communities stick together. An example is that they kicked out a couple of companies that had built factories and brought too much traffic to the area. They simply got together and blocked the roads so the company couldnt continue to operate and had to close down the factories. There is jungle law already. You steal, you die and they talk about this as if its everyday business (because it is). The other few foreigners who live in this area (some of them over 20 years) never had any problems with anyone stealing or similar because punishment is quick and severe.

I believe that the most likely scenario is a slow economic collapse and thats why this area makes sense. It is a bit of a secluded spot, away from any major highways and in case of an economic collapse these guys simply use their oxen instead like they did 10 years ago before upgrading to a motorized version.

So the first factor is that this place won’t see that many dramatic changes once the collapse speeds up and the second factor is that by then I should have established myself as an asset for the community. Some foreigners already did this in various ways and are highly respected by everyone who matters (village bosses, military and police) and this is without spending any money and just offering their skills or expertise.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

And an update! Its a military coup! That would make this the 12th coup in the last 100 years, more than in any other country.

There is also a curfew now from 10pm to 5am every day. I was about to meet for dinner with a friend from the US tomorrow evening, not going to happen.

I don’t expect much else but of course monitoring the news now is pretty interesting. One of my good friends here is also reporter for a international news agency so he always gives me the heads up right when things happen.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.