Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Couple days ago I found myself in a totally alien town. I did not go there on purpose but was just driving around. This morning it hit me that I had no idea of how or where to go to get out of that area. I was able to backtrack in my mind to a point that I knew.
    I now have a compass and general maps of different areas. These cover the different areas to my East, South and West. North of me is the Red River.
    Now running in my mind is “How would I react if I were in an unknown area when SHTF?” Any hints or ideas?
    Thanks
    Robin

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Robin,

Find a library. Most are marked with those blue marker signs in the US, just like hospitals. Just follow them. Kick your way in if you have to. Libraries are overlooked during a SHTF situation. Look at the big library in New Orleans during Katrina – nobody bothered it, though it held a wealth of knowledge on how to survive, maps, etc..

First place I would hit would be the file cabinets where they keep the big topo maps and US Geological Survey maps of the whole state – or even neighboring states, if they have them. Also maps of the city and county, and maps that detail the water and power grid. Second place I would hit would be the rare book room.. You’d be astounded what they keep in there. Of course, all of this would be for safekeeping… :)

Secondary source would be a university. Don’t know about where you are, but over in Lexington they got UK. On UK’s campus, they have their own print shop and map room. They showed me around one time. Great huge banks of really wide cabinets that held enormous topo maps of Kentucky. If a map existed that dealt with a subject, like ground water, then they printed it. Massive resource. One of these days, I’m going to have to go over there and just order a whole boatload of maps… some of that information is critical.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Malgus: Great suggestions. People forget the wealth of knowledge in a library. Also everyone depends on their GPS now. I can think of several scenarios where the system will be down.

I traveled extensively for business. When I started to think about SHTF scenarios while I was traveling, knowing where I was and how to get home came to the top of my list.

I started gathering maps of the areas I traveled to. One trip I went to an area that I traveled to all the time. Didn’t bother to take the GPS out of wife’s vehicle, because I knew exactly where I was going. Had done it a thousand times.

One tornado swarm later, the interstate and many roads were closed. My pile of maps in the seat back that my wife made fun of got me home, safely and easily. Don’t hear those jokes anymore.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Robin, Maps are very important. In a EMP attack they will help get you in and out of cities and rural areas. Also many of the maps have parks, universities, City Halls, and many other important info on them. Great info to have if the grid goes down.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

We keep at least a national atlas in each of our vehicles, the ones where each State has its own page. Additionally I keep a Vermont atlas that shows even the smallest dirt road, and as appropriate I throw similar atlases for other parts of New England or Eastern NY into our vehicles. About every two years I replace my atlases so as to stay current with road changes. Two years ago my nephew thought it was humorous that I used maps to find my way places (vs a phone gps). I then gave him an atlas and told him the atlas will work when the day comes that his gps doesn’t. A compass in your bug out bag is a good idea.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.