Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of patjoe
    patjoe
    Survivalist
    member2

Can anybody recommend a good resource for building a man trap in an urban house on a small lot, please? I found plenty of info about rural traps, such as rock slides, trail traps, and water traps, but no urban info.

I’m trying to collect info on discreet weapons that are not firearms, knives, or clubs. I could be arrested for keeping a baseball bat and wasp spray inside my front door. Switch-blades are illegal. We are not allowed to discharge firearms within the city limits. The nearest practice range is 90 kilometres away. It would cost $3,000 for me to buy a long gun and get basic training, IF I could get a license. A handgun license is almost impossible to obtain.

Any recommendations for alternatives much appreciated. Thanks.

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Ok you sound like your in a place like my brother and we are in canada. He lives in the city, I live in the country. What he is doing, is going with a high powered air rifle, just for scare tacs. Then a 150 lb draw Crossbow with broad heads on the bolts. Compound Bows are another option as well. All these let out very little sound as well.

As for your Base ball bat problem, I have solved that as well. How about a nice piece of functioning furniture that has a hidden motive!!

bat table

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Profile photo of Hillbilly
    Hillbilly
    Survivalist
    member3

What about Black Powder, often much easier to obtain than regular firearms, or air guns maybe, some manstoppers out there in large calibers. A friend of mine has one,not suppose to as he is a felon. But there is no background checks for them either and he’s not on probation so….no visits from LEOs. I wouldn’t want to steer you into any trouble, just saying.
    As for “mantraps” I think that falls under boobytraps and thats a big No No as far as Law Enforcement Officers see it. Maybe you could build an awning over your front door that collapses when you pull a rope or something. You could just claim that you’re a crappy carpenter.LoL…
    I’m assuming that theres a reason that you can’t have a baseball bat in your home, so just be cool and keep whatever it is that you get well hidden , like buried or kept safely away till **** hits the fan, everyone that screws up is a result of being a showoff.
    I had another friend that kept a pistol in his pickup,Never a problem until his tags expired. He got pulled over and out of the blue the cop asked if he could search the vehicle. To my knowledge, he never got his gun back.
    Back to the mantraps, well the best of the best are Vietnam era.
    Good luck to you Patjoe.

Profile photo of patjoe
    patjoe
    Survivalist
    member2

THANKS, Gypsy Wanderer.

Yes, we’re in Canada, too. LOL! You could tell immediately by the stupid regulations. Those are brilliant, low-cost suggestions, all available from Crappy Tire. Merci beaucoup!

Profile photo of Hillbilly
    Hillbilly
    Survivalist
    member3

Wow Gypsy wondering Huskey, That a nice table. Wonder if I could make a lamp out of an AK or some old gun to put on that table of yours. Thats really cool.

Profile photo of patjoe
    patjoe
    Survivalist
    member2

THANKS, Hillbilly.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police Web site says I could have a real antique made before 1898. It would have to be a muzzleloader, matchlock, flintlock, or wheel lock long gun. I could not have a modern replica or a long gun with a barrel longer than 4 inches (105 mm). Does that mean an arquebus or musket? Antique hand guns and percussion cap guns are strictly prohibited. But the RCMP also says, “A firearm that discharges black powder cartridges might be considered an antique if it was made before 1898, but not necessarily. It would depend on the caliber or gauge. For example, a shotgun that discharges 12 gauge centre-fire cartridges would not be considered an antique no matter how old it is.”  I realize something is better than nothing, but don’t they take a long time to load and tend to backfire? Is it worthwhile to get a real antique long gun?

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Your very welcome Pat, yes we have some weird laws here. One air rifle I have heard of is pretty powerful at 1200+ fps.

Hillbilly that lamp idea would be a great addition to the bat table. But being here in Canada as Pat mentioned you might want to make it a really old gun!! lol

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Death Wish 3?

A ballbat in a umbrella stand is not a ‘weapon’, just a handy place to store it. How can anyone complain?Start collecting antique swords and other medieval weapons.

For the more adventurous:

For more ‘range’ a couple of pieces of pipe that handily fit together with a pipecap, that a shotshell happens to fit within may be the cheapest and best answer.

Guerilla Shotgun

http://sipseystreetirregulars.blogspot.com/2013/03/praxis-philippine-guerrilla-slam-fire.html

Not that I’m advocating anything illegal.

http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21181&PN=1

http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16937&KW=holmes (bottom post)

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Yeah it’s pretty simple to construct things that’ll go bang when you pull a trigger. Not going to go into detail for obvious reasons, but the information is out there (I believe I mentioned on here a while back a couple books on the subject).

Anyway, anything that’s rather stout can be swung successfully at someone to take them out of the fight, but of course if they’re in your space, you’re also in theirs. To counteract that you’ll want to put distance between you. Laugh if you must, but I use a hockey stick for that, and if you’ve ever played hockey you know how much someone slashing you with the blade of the stick hurts. If you hit someone in the right spots you can take them down rather quick.

Even stuff like wasp spray can help (or bear spray which has been used a lot by criminals here in Newfoundland as of late).

Remember these three rules for fighting:

Can’t fight if you can’t; See, Stand, or Breath.

If you take out one of those three you should win.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Profile photo of oldfatguy
    oldfatguy
    Survivalist
    member2

When I was a kid in Phoenix, Arizona (mid 1960’s), my sister saw a peeping tom at her window one night. My dad starting posting himself outside at night, but the guy wouldn’t come back, which suggested he was someone who lived nearby and watched the house from a window and knew my Dad was there. So, Dad took a machete, removed the grip panels, took a short plank a little longer than the blade and using a spring and some scrap steel flat stock, he built what looked like a giant mousetrap–instead of the trap bale that would catch and hold a full-grown man, he used the machete blade. He set the trap near the window, mounting it horizontally to the building, at about ankle height (achilles tendon). One night, my sister heard a high-pitched scream outside, and awoke my parents. Dad and I went outside with firearms, but found nothing but the sprung trap and a little blood… Of course, it would be better if you could move almost anywhere in the southwestern US. We don’t just have baseball bats, we have real firearms–of all types. All legal here. 11 million Mexicans can’t be wrong…

Profile photo of oldfatguy
    oldfatguy
    Survivalist
    member2

I love this movie. My Dad made a similar trap, which I mentioned above. He used a machete blade–although it worked, there wasn’t as much blood as expected. The best part of this movie, though, was the Wildey Survivor Pistol. A .475 cal projectile launched from a brilliantly designed weapon, with a gas system similar to FN/FAL rifles. I wanted one ever since I saw this in the theater. Whenever I had the cash, I couldn’t find one at any gunshows, and when I was broke I always saw one. Not quite as powerful as some of my current handguns, but still a keeper, in my book. If I ever get the chance to own one, I will. Not as a SHTF weapon, just as a hunting/recreational weapon to add to my collection…

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

A trappers bible on Amazon is about $10 for the Kindle edition. “Camp Alarms” section has some good ideas. I am having issues with my Windows 8 opening my version. Amazon tells me I have the current issue but Windows will not open Kindle on my pc.

Robin

http://www.amazon.com/Trappers-Bible-Traps-Snares-Pathguards-ebook/dp/B00IO01ZA2/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1400897891&sr=8-13&keywords=trappers

Profile photo of patjoe
    patjoe
    Survivalist
    member2

Robin, I see another by the same publisher, called Mantrapping by Ragnar Benson, at http://www.paladin-press.com/product/Mantrapping. I wouldn’t want anything Silence of the Lambs style. I  just wanted enough to hold the creeps shooting up drugs outside my window and destroying my property in the middle of the night until law enforcement arrives. Now I find out that’s illegal in Canada, too.

Profile photo of patjoe
    patjoe
    Survivalist
    member2

Whirlibird, that first Charles Bronson video is perfect. That’s the kind of simple device we need. It would let my 10-year-old sleep at night.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Keep a couple of good fire extinguisher’s handy,  squirt em with the white  stuff, hit em with the red can.

There are any number of simple traps that can be made, the problem is that most are deadly or will wound and most places that is highly illegal. At least until shtf.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.